ScummVM "Installation"

marcelosofth

ScummVM "Installation"

Unread post by marcelosofth »

Hello friends, could someone help me to install ScummVM on my Mister, I already have the ScummVM folder that I use on the PC, what do I need to work? :?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: ScummVM "Installation"

Unread post by flynnsbit »

marcelosofth

Unread post by marcelosofth »

Thanks my friend! I managed to make it work, it's just a shame that you have to call ScummVM inside the Script, if there was a way to call it together with the computer COREs it would be perfect!
0x15e

Unread post by 0x15e »

-deleted-

Apparently I'm a master of lies and the behavior I observed when I tried it probably a year ago is nothing like what it does now. I don't think what I posted was particularly negative or anything but hey, who better to judge me than a rando on the internet?

Don't worry I won't be posting anything else.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

0x15e wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:25 pm I tried ScummVM once and once I was done with being disappointed, I had to nuke my sd card and start over to get it clean again.

The issue is that ScummVM is only a core in the loosest sense of the word. The reason it needs the script is that it has to install a bunch of Linux-side dependencies because...

It's just a Linux app with a MiSTer wrapper. And an older, more limited one at that.

It's not bad but it really is one of those cases where you'd be better off using a pi or pc. It's still a software-based VM interpreter and it's not really something that could benefit from an fpga anyway.

The mismatch is exacerbated by the fact that MiSTer has no package manager (by design, and the explanation is reasonable) so when that install script runs, it has to install a bunch of dynamically linked libraries and those aren't necessarily compiled for the same build of MiSTer you're running, which can lead to weirdness. And because those libraries were just copied over with that script, it's difficult to get things back in a known good state if you want to remove it.

For me, I just came to the realization that the kinds of games I like to play on MiSTer aren't the same kinds of games I'd like to play with ScummVM so it really wasn't a good fit, and more of a liability to keep installed than some other core I don't use might be.
Install_ScummVM.sh does not install dependencies anywhere other than the ScummVM directory, so to remove it you simply delete the ScummVM directory. There was absolutely no reason for you to "nuke" your SD card.

It's OK if its not a good fit for you, and you don't want to use it, but please don't post misinformation.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

0x15e wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:25 pm I tried ScummVM once and once I was done with being disappointed, I had to nuke my sd card and start over to get it clean again.

The issue is that ScummVM is only a core in the loosest sense of the word. The reason it needs the script is that it has to install a bunch of Linux-side dependencies because...

It's just a Linux app with a MiSTer wrapper. And an older, more limited one at that.

It's not bad but it really is one of those cases where you'd be better off using a pi or pc. It's still a software-based VM interpreter and it's not really something that could benefit from an fpga anyway.

The mismatch is exacerbated by the fact that MiSTer has no package manager (by design, and the explanation is reasonable) so when that install script runs, it has to install a bunch of dynamically linked libraries and those aren't necessarily compiled for the same build of MiSTer you're running, which can lead to weirdness. And because those libraries were just copied over with that script, it's difficult to get things back in a known good state if you want to remove it.

For me, I just came to the realization that the kinds of games I like to play on MiSTer aren't the same kinds of games I'd like to play with ScummVM so it really wasn't a good fit, and more of a liability to keep installed than some other core I don't use might be.
It's sad we have people like you that spread misinformation and or shoot down a developer for using an open hardware platform to the extent that it can be used. This project is AWESOME, notes like this do nothing to help grow the community and embrace all different angles of this hardware platform.

I can firmly say that nothing above is a true statement, not one of them. Get out of here with that crap 0x15e.
bbond007
Top Contributor

0x15e wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:25 pm Apparently I'm a master of lies and the behavior I observed when I tried it probably a year ago is nothing like what it does now. I don't think what I posted was particularly negative or anything but hey, who better to judge me than a rando on the internet?
Nobody ever said it was negative(you actually said "It's not bad"), just 100% factually inaccurate:
  • You don't need to "nuke" your SD card to git rid of ScummVM, which you stated (not once but twice) - you just delete the directory, then its gone. ALWAYS been that way...
  • At the time of your post, the 2.3 build had been uploaded to my repo. I'm still working on 2.5, however 2.3 was the lower hanging fruit. (There is no 2.4 branch).
  • Linux does not use "dynamically linked libraries", DLL's are a windows thing. Linux uses "Shared objects" , ".so" - You claim having these stock Debian built libs installed can lead to "weirdness", which is vague and untrue, as they reside in the ScummVM folder and are unused unless you are running ScummVM - you give no specific examples.
  • You claim it is more of a "liability" then other having unused cores installed, however, yet again vague - and again no specific examples?
  • You state games you like to play on MiSTer aren't the same kinds of games you'd like to play with ScummVM - then why did you install it? - seriously?
BTW: Apparently you "deleted" all of your posts from the forum, but I recall in one of your early posts (in the "Neo Geo MVS / AES" topic) you accused the entire MiSTer community of being "toxic".
GhostofSparta

Unread post by GhostofSparta »

Hi,

I tried to install ScummVM on MiSTer this weekend, but unfortunately it didn't work and I really don't know why. Maybe anybody here could give me some hints?
MiSTer is connected with the analog output to the Retrotink 5x and then to my LG OLED 48C2. I am using an external HDD on my MiSTer.

I did the following according to some YT installation guides: download the latest version from github, copied the Install_ScummVM.sh to /media/fat/scripts and executed the installer script. Everything seems to work proper, all files seem to be downloaded by the installer and I got the confirmation, that everything's fine. But unfortunately after executing the installer script I can't find the ScummVM_2_3 or the ScummVM_2_5_1 Scripts in my /media/fat/scripts folder. I also checked all other folders but no sign of the scripts. Tried that again with disconnected HDD and also directly with HDMI Connection to my OLED, but without any success. So I am really baffled right at the moment!

Maybe someone here has an idea what's going on or what I am doing wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help! :)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

GhostofSparta wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:44 amMaybe someone here has an idea what's going on or what I am doing wrong?
Maybe @bbond007 need more coffee and some attention :) I had troubles installing his ScummVM 2.6.1 and found that there are issues in his installation script. I already opened a ticket about ths.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
GhostofSparta

Ah, ok, I downloaded the Zip File just at the last wekkend, seems that this file includes the 2.6.1 Version. So, if there are some issues in the script, then it's obvious that it won't work at the moment! :)
Maybe @bbond007 could update is here once the issues are solved!
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

GhostofSparta wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:44 am MiSTer is connected with the analog output to the Retrotink 5x and then to my LG OLED 48C2. I am using an external HDD on my MiSTer.
That's a pretty unusual approach. Is the Retrotink faster or better than the Mister's onboard scaler?
bbond007
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:04 am Maybe @bbond007 need more coffee and some attention :) I had troubles installing his ScummVM 2.6.1 and found that there are issues in his installation script. I already opened a ticket about ths.
I did test it, but I ran I already had the bins on my MiSTer before running, so that's how it slipped by...

I probably had too much coffee that day... anyway, those specific error are fixed. Hopefully there are not many more :)
Malor wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:12 pm That's a pretty unusual approach. Is the Retrotink faster or better than the Mister's onboard scaler?
Currently the HPS framebuffer is not permitted to have filters and such. That is probably why...
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

bbond007 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:38 pm I probably had too much coffee that day... anyway, those specific error are fixed. Hopefully there are not many more :)
Hehe, I'll have an eye on this and will open a PR next time. Anyway, thanks a lot!
Issue closed.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
GhostofSparta

Thanks @bbond007, I will try the latest version to install. If it won't work with my actual setup (Mister analog to RT5X to OLED) I will try a direct connection of the Mister to the TV by HDMI! Tried that already with the bugged version, but that didn't work at all.
roc

Unread post by roc »

Coming late to the party, so I enjoyed the fixed version.
the 2.6.1 works like a champ.

The savefiles from the PC 2.6.1 version work great on the mister.

Thank you very much indeed!
blacklistedcard

Unread post by blacklistedcard »

Thanks for the new builds and version. I really enjoy ScummVM on my mister within my 1up cabinet.