MSX Without Keyboard?

HappehLemons

MSX Without Keyboard?

Unread post by HappehLemons »

I'm new to MSX, and am quickly noticing that it seems like a lot of games require a keyboard to play (Metal Gear for example).

Is this typical of the system? Should most games be played with a keyboard in MSX vs a controller?

I didn't know if there was a easy solution here to playing MSX games completely with a controller, or if that is a process that isn't well supported.

Thanks!
Topbravo

Re: MSX Without Keyboard?

Unread post by Topbravo »

Yes, keyboard is mostly required.
HappehLemons

Topbravo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:36 pm Yes, keyboard is mostly required.
I'm sure this is subjective, but do most people play MSX with just a keyboard, or a controller and a keyboard? Not sure how much other games utilize if it's working going in with more of a keyboard expectation as explore the catalog.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

MSX was a home computer with a keyboard. So not using a keyboard would be a very strange use of a MSX
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

FPGA64 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:15 pm MSX was a home computer with a keyboard. So not using a keyboard would be a very strange use of a MSX
Not really. On machines like C64 or Atari, most games didn't have a keyboard-control option at all. On MSX, I play a lot of early games atm, and most have the joystick option, some are keyboard only, some utilise both. I suppose later games would mostly offer controller option as well, unless some complex ones need more keys.

It's possible to remap them in MiSTer anyway, if you feel like it.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

akeley wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:38 pm
FPGA64 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:15 pm MSX was a home computer with a keyboard. So not using a keyboard would be a very strange use of a MSX
Not really. On machines like C64 or Atari, most games didn't have a keyboard-control option at all. On MSX, I play a lot of early games atm, and most have the joystick option, some are keyboard only, some utilise both. I suppose later games would mostly offer controller option as well, unless some complex ones need more keys.

What I meant is that the MSX had a keyboard and so its not surprising Games use the keyboard where the controller doesnt have enough buttons.
HappehLemons

akeley wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:38 pm

I'm a little confused on this process. When I try to remap buttons to my joypad, it only get Up, Down, Left, Right, Button 1 & Button 2. How do I map the other relevant keys?
I guess my question was more along the lines of, due to the heavy use of the keyboard in MSX games, are they typically played with JUST a keyboard? Or do you normally use a combo of the keyboard and joypad.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

HappehLemons wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:10 pm I'm a little confused on this process. When I try to remap buttons to my joypad, it only get Up, Down, Left, Right, Button 1 & Button 2. How do I map the other relevant keys?
Use the "Button/Key remap for game" option.