Disk Swapping Is Not For Lazy Penguins

AnotherGamer

Disk Swapping Is Not For Lazy Penguins

Unread post by AnotherGamer »

I've tried. Seriously, I've tried.

The only MSX game where I've been able to successfully swap disks is Ys I.

Ys III? Never. I point SofaRun to my .bat file that lists all of the disks, and all I get is failure. I get as far as the Inn, and after Dogi enters, the game prompts me to enter the User Disk, followed by the Scenario Disk. And that's as far as I get. But this constant failure usually includes the added insult of totally corrupting disk 1.

SofaRun, we're breaking up. Maybe it's me, but I think it's you. You're too high maintenance. And you've disappointed me too many times.
werpu

Re: Disk Swapping Is Not For Lazy Penguins

Unread post by werpu »

Yes from all the systems on Mister, MSX is one of the nastier ones maybe even the unfriendliest to the user, dunno what it is, but even the Amstrad CPC is more user friendly, sure you have to type in, but then the games load fast and are there. MSX however uff...
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Disk Swapping Is Not For Lazy Penguins

Unread post by akeley »

MSX was a rather complex ecosystem, plus MiSTer's main core is based on another FPGA, so yes, it can be a bit cumbersome and not 100% fail-proof experience. But still, it's better than nothing, and in most cases Sofa Run does work well, if a little bit sluggish (keeping files unzipped helps a bit).

If you want a quick, pain-free MSX gaming fix, you should try the new MSX1 core - it runs .rom cartridge files just like the real thing, with insta-access. Hopefully an MSX2 core will eventually appear as well, with proper floppy implementation.