Floppy drive sounds

retrorepair

Re: Floppy drive sounds

Unread post by retrorepair »

lomdar67 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:37 pm
LeftEmpty wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:31 pm You are missing something. If done correctly, it is helpful in that it can tell when some games are stuck for one reason or another, without having to stare 3 minutes at a screen hoping for the best to happen.
But only if it is really an accurate emulation of the read and write commands. And an accurately blinking led would do the same trick.
You only need the motor control signals which are all present (and correct) in the Minimig core at least.

Read and write commands are irrelevant for our purposes.

Here's the minimig core interacting directly over user i/o with an A500 floppy drive:

https://t.co/Mw51YN6VCh
retrorepair

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I like the idea in general but it'd have to be really spot on/subtle. I had it enabled on Gotek once and that implementation was actually terrible, very distracting.
retrorepair

akeley wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:53 pm I like the idea in general but it'd have to be really spot on/subtle. I had it enabled on Gotek once and that implementation was actually terrible, very distracting.
I think the buzzer sounds pretty bad myself but it's better than a large floppy drive for a lot of people.

I may have an alternative in the works however.
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

@retrorepair : an alternative with a different hardware part or mixed in the audio stream ? Cheers :) I feel the current Amiga implementation with the buzzer is quite OK and it is clearly useful, but it could indeed be better :)
retrorepair

Different hardware part/assembly. Mixed audio in the core it would be a pretty big undertaking and not something I'd have time for.

I actually don't think an entire audio sub system just for floppy audio is a good idea as it takes space away from future add ons. A linux based floppy sound emulator however isn't impossible, just again, a big job.
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

retrorepair wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:54 pm
akeley wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:53 pm I like the idea in general but it'd have to be really spot on/subtle. I had it enabled on Gotek once and that implementation was actually terrible, very distracting.
I think the buzzer sounds pretty bad myself but it's better than a large floppy drive for a lot of people.

I dont know I think it sounds fine, no worse than my goteks .. id be perfectly happy with that.
aToyRobot

Unread post by aToyRobot »

retrorepair wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:41 am I have started work on interfacing real floppy drives for this very reason. For the most part it works well with Amiga, a bit hit and miss on Atari ST. Will look probably at ao486 next. I need to get the adapter board finished.
Will this also allow booting from a real floppy disk or is this purely for the sound? I'd quite like the sound aspect (it's part of the Amiga experience, in my mind) but booting from floppies would be great as I have a load of Amiga demo disks and the like that I would like to play with.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

I personally miss the [seek] sound of a IBM PC XT harddrive, and would enjoy the option of turning it on, perhaps, in the ao486 core.
retrorepair

aToyRobot wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:09 pm
retrorepair wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:41 am I have started work on interfacing real floppy drives for this very reason. For the most part it works well with Amiga, a bit hit and miss on Atari ST. Will look probably at ao486 next. I need to get the adapter board finished.
Will this also allow booting from a real floppy disk or is this purely for the sound? I'd quite like the sound aspect (it's part of the Amiga experience, in my mind) but booting from floppies would be great as I have a load of Amiga demo disks and the like that I would like to play with.
Just motor control so only for sound. I'd like to extend the project to full floppy control but we are lacking in IO sadly.
Comatron

Unread post by Comatron »

i saw mister add-on boards with a speaker mounted:

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/kit-mister/

is this option now in the code? im more a fan of real floppies but when i added a speaker to the gotek aswell i found it really helpfull. would be so cool to have the option for floppy sounds (even over audio out if mixable volumewise)

also actually enjoying the newer high quality floppy sounds of the UAEs - gotta say that. very good sounding.

cheerio
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Comatron wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:25 pm i saw mister add-on boards with a speaker mounted:
That's not a speaker, it's the volume wheel...
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

The card seem to have « internal speaker »

viewtopic.php?p=12781#p12781
CPC-Power Staff
NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

Newsdee wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:31 am
Comatron wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:25 pm i saw mister add-on boards with a speaker mounted:
That's not a speaker, it's the volume wheel...
There is a speaker on the bottom side of the board.
The wheel doesn't control the volume it controls the speed of the CPU fan.
IMG_0461.jpeg
IMG_0461.jpeg (73.25 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

What's the speaker used for? I guess it outputs the regular audio you can get from the 3.5mm jack?
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Nope, only used for the amiga floppy drive sound, i love it !
Trezzer

Unread post by Trezzer »

retrorepair wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:54 pm I think the buzzer sounds pretty bad myself but it's better than a large floppy drive for a lot of people.

Any updates on this? :) I really wish the Minimig would have floppy sounds. Some demos just don't sound right without it as the trackloaders actually become part of the soundtrack.