BBC Micro - Sync Issues running Elite

garrett

BBC Micro - Sync Issues running Elite

Unread post by garrett »

Trying to get the game Elite going...

I can load fine into the BBC micro core. The VHD loads, menu comes up and I can select Elite. Elite loads and the title screen comes up. As soon as the game starts though the screen is all wavy like its lost sync. Any ideas on how to fix / what I might be doing wrong with my setup? I successfully can play other games and have gotten other cores to work.
garrett

Re: BBC Micro - Sync Issues running Elite

Unread post by garrett »

I found this youtube vid somehow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kf7STu ... e=youtu.be
In the vid he has the same problem with Elite, but it works with a CRT...

Somone named Skavin1000: "Looks like the HDMI output in the MiSTer does not like changing from mode 4 (320*256 2 color) to mode 5(160*256 4 color) 2/3 of the way down the screen to draw the cockpit. As far as I know elite is the only BBC game to change mode during a horizontal retrace every frame."

Anyone have thoughts?
_paul_

Unread post by _paul_ »

Even worse: Acornsoft Revs. That does not work on a CRT either (though the issues are somewhat less extreme on a CRT).
dave18

Unread post by dave18 »

I think you would need to add a stage to the video generation to convert the different BBC timings to a constant timing for each frame. Might be possible to hack the existing hdmi part of the framework to find an output resolution/timing that is compatible with all the different inputs.
dave18

Unread post by dave18 »

If you check this thread the issue appears to have been fixed viewtopic.php?f=14&t=734