SCUMMVM

jvas

Re: SCUMMVM

Unread post by jvas »

If the "Menu" as an FPGA core is able to run the ScummVM script, then why wouldn't be another one?
But even then: what is the point?
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

blacklistedcard wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:53 pm I hope you could compile the latest version of scumm. I use it on my mister all the time.
I am testing 2.3 now and its going well...

If that is successful then I'll try 2.5 - not sure what happened to 2.4 :)
marcelosofth wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:24 pm Is it possible to create a shortcut from ScummVM to the Mister Menu along with the other Cores?
It's important to maintain the distinction between the ScummVM application and the FPGA cores.

Such a change would create some confusion, but even more drama, so It's not a hill I'm willing to climb.

I put my ScummVM script under /media/fat/Scripts/_Ports_ that way its at the top of my list for easy access.

Hope that helps...
marcelosofth

Unread post by marcelosofth »

Friend, how do I make ScummVM full screen on my TV?
bbond007
Top Contributor

marcelosofth wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:39 pm Friend, how do I make ScummVM full screen on my TV?
Generally you need to change the resolution of the Menu core.

These are just example settings as I have no idea with the specs and capabilities of your TV.

MiSTer.INI:

Code: Select all

[MENU]
vga_scaler=1
video_mode=6
ScummVM_2_X_X.sh:

Code: Select all

echo "Setting Video mode..."
vmode -r 640 480 rgb16
ScummVM/Options:

Graphics Mode: <default>
Render Mode: <default>
[X] Aspect ratio correction
[ ] Fullscreen mode
marcelosofth

Is it possible to use ScummVM with MT-32pi, I know AO486 Monkey Island works with MT-32pi and ScummVM too?
tontonkaloun

Unread post by tontonkaloun »

It's a shame to use a MiSTer to run ScummVM. But that's just my opinion !
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

marcelosofth wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:26 am Is it possible to use ScummVM with MT-32pi, I know AO486 Monkey Island works with MT-32pi and ScummVM too?
Not when it is connected to the analog IO board user port, as that is accessed by the FPGA, not the ARM CPU.

In theory it could work if you connected it to one of the USB ports (by using two USB MIDI interfaces with MIDI cables, which is really impractical, I don't think the MT32-pi supports MIDI over USB directly). But I don't remember ScummVM having MIDI interface support, so I don't think this is possible in practice.
marcelosofth

So in reality if I want to play Monkey Island with the MT-32pi only with the AO486 CORE?
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

marcelosofth wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:10 pm So in reality if I want to play Monkey Island with the MT-32pi only with the AO486 CORE?
That is correct. I highly recommend getting the eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack, which includes multiple games with MT32-pi support.
bbond007
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:05 pm In theory it could work if you connected it to one of the USB ports (by using two USB MIDI interfaces with MIDI cables, which is really impractical, I don't think the MT32-pi supports MIDI over USB directly). But I don't remember ScummVM having MIDI interface support, so I don't think this is possible in practice.
ScummVM does support MIDI.

I use it with my UM-ONE MK2 connected to a Roland MT32, SC88pro, SC55mkII and Yamaha MU90

--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Qtlfa61Go
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

bbond007 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:36 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:05 pm In theory it could work if you connected it to one of the USB ports (by using two USB MIDI interfaces with MIDI cables, which is really impractical, I don't think the MT32-pi supports MIDI over USB directly). But I don't remember ScummVM having MIDI interface support, so I don't think this is possible in practice.
ScummVM does support MIDI.

I use it with my UM-ONE MK2 connected to a Roland MT32, SC88pro, SC55mkII and Yamaha MU90

--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Qtlfa61Go
Cool, I didn't remember that. If the MT32-pi supported USB over MIDI directly, that would be a good option.
marcelosofth

Is it possible to use zipped games to play on ScummVM?
bbond007
Top Contributor

marcelosofth wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:23 pm Is it possible to use zipped games to play on ScummVM?
Even if possible, my 'spidey sense' was saying bad idea for a number of reasons.

First, the MiSTer's arm CPU is not super powerful (about like a RPi2) and Linux RAM is limited to 512MB, so it could degrade performance.

Second, These game assets are already compressed so it might not help anyway...

Still, I thought I'd see is there is an official answer in the ScummVM FAQ. --> https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/help ... p-archives
ScummVM FAQ wrote: 3.1.1. When will you add support for ZIP archives?
We won’t. There are two main reasons: firstly, we believe that it would ease illegal distribution of games, and secondly, we already support compression of sound and speech to reduce file sizes.
So the answer is YES - as long as you unzip them :)

Hope that helps :)
cyb4

Unread post by cyb4 »

Please update Scummvm to 2.5 when you find the time. I really appreciate your work and effort! :)
bbond007
Top Contributor

cyb4 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:03 am Please update Scummvm to 2.5 when you find the time. I really appreciate your work and effort! :)
ScummVM 2.5 build was added last week, but I just did not make it default until I was able to find time to do a little more testing.
  • Build based on the 2.2.0 branch was refreshed as it was not the latest.
  • Build based on the 2.3 branch added
  • Build based on the 2.5 branch added
  • Build based on the 2.5.0 branch added - today
  • Builds based on the 2.3 & 2.5.0 made default in installer script - today
ScummVM250.jpg
ScummVM250.jpg (549.76 KiB) Viewed 10116 times
Trick or treat...
GrimFandangoScummVM250.jpg
GrimFandangoScummVM250.jpg (503.11 KiB) Viewed 10116 times
nio

Unread post by nio »

I cant get The longest Journey and Grim Fandango to run on scummvm 250 for msiter fpga. I downloaded scummvm from the mentioned github.
Both games work fine on windows and are installed accourding to the wiki.

Grim Fandango says grim-patch.lab is missing. Its not mentioned in the wiki.
The longest Journey says no renderer found.

Please help me.
bbond007
Top Contributor

nio wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:24 am I cant get The longest Journey and Grim Fandango to run on scummvm 250 for msiter fpga. I downloaded scummvm from the mentioned github.
Both games work fine on windows and are installed accourding to the wiki.

Grim Fandango says grim-patch.lab is missing. Its not mentioned in the wiki.
The longest Journey says no renderer found.

Please help me.
The longest Journey does not work because Open GL is required.

For Grim, I believe I renamed residualvm-grim-patch.lab (which is easy to find) to grim-patch.lab.

The official way to do it is here...

https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... ango_Patch

I'll probably do it that way if I run into any issues/glitches in the game.

Hope that helps...
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:50 pm Cool, I didn't remember that. If the MT32-pi supported USB over MIDI directly, that would be a good option.
It does. That is how my MT32-pi works. It has a MIDI in port on it, and I use a Roland USB to MIDI adapter. In fact, I helped get all the bugs worked out when it first came out. :-)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

thorr wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:54 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:50 pm Cool, I didn't remember that. If the MT32-pi supported USB over MIDI directly, that would be a good option.
It does. That is how my MT32-pi works. It has a MIDI in port on it, and I use a Roland USB to MIDI adapter. In fact, I helped get all the bugs worked out when it first came out. :-)
Ah, nice, good job.

What I actually meant to type was MIDI over USB :) Meaning you plug one end of a USB cable into a USB port of the MiSTer and the other end into the USB port of the MT32-pi, without having to use a MIDI adapter.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:39 am What I actually meant to type was MIDI over USB :) Meaning you plug one end of a USB cable into a USB port of the MiSTer and the other end into the USB port of the MT32-pi, without having to use a MIDI adapter.
You can get two USB to midi adapters and connect them to each other with a barrel connector. That will accomplish what you are trying to achieve.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068O44
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

OMG I completely missed that. I was using ScumVM inside win 98 on the ao486 core to make Versailles 1685 work with proper audio, but it was seconde per frame, in dos as well! So if this is a direct port to the arm core, this should work perfectily for Versailles, Urban Runner and a few others! And when I hear people not seeing the point, it's always sooooo annoying. Most point and click games don't scale well in emulators on a pc, whereas on the Mister you can get pixel perfect scaling all the time +filters which makes the games look so much better.

So yes, there is a point for anything which give you options to play games on the Mister. And who gives a damn if there is latency on FMV games... Seriously.... Thanks for the hardwork on this bbond007, it's awesome.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

thorr wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:25 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:39 am What I actually meant to type was MIDI over USB :) Meaning you plug one end of a USB cable into a USB port of the MiSTer and the other end into the USB port of the MT32-pi, without having to use a MIDI adapter.
You can get two USB to midi adapters and connect them to each other with a barrel connector. That will accomplish what you are trying to achieve.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068O44
Thanks, I know about that. I mentioned it in an earlier reply.

I've also tried connecting my MIDI master keyboard to the MT32-pi, using a USB MIDI interface and it worked great. Connecting over WiFi was a bit more of a hassle but also worked well.
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

So I tested Scummvm and it works to the T with Versailles 1685, audio is perfect as well and it's running probably 50 time faster than in dos on the ao486, which absolutely makes sense. However, is there anyway to use lcd/scanline filter with scummvm? I don't have access to any osd once scummvm is launched. Also I'd like to force V-sync in these games, is it possible? I haven't checked all the options just yet, hence why I'm asking.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

great update. Finally got the themes to work for the first time. Very smooth.
nio

Unread post by nio »

What usb to midi adapter is supported? I really want to use Mt32-pi with scummvm on mister. Please show your setup. thanks
bbond007
Top Contributor

nio wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:37 pm What usb to midi adapter is supported? I really want to use Mt32-pi with scummvm on mister. Please show your setup. thanks
I suggest Roland UM-ONE-MK2
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

Update question: I had a complete install on my SD card of "ScummVM 2.1.0 'Electric Sheep' Complete Collection" which took a while to build. I forgot if the update script might wreck anything like game compatibility but I updated- it now says I'm at 2.2.0

First, according to this page, bbond007 added versions 2.3 and 2.5: https://githubmemory.com/repo/bbond007/ ... /issues/15

How does one update from an earlier version? Bypassing the updater script?

More importantly, is ScummVM like MAME where updates can break what once was compatible or where you need to update your game files, or is the latest version always just 'better'?

I did notice that the update now changed my look to no longer see the pumpkin-orange and yellow Theme so I'm already concerned about updating.

THANK YOU TO ALL DEVELOPERS! YOU ARE AMAZING!
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

seastalker wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:22 pm
THANK YOU TO ALL DEVELOPERS! YOU ARE AMAZING!
hear hear!!
bbond007
Top Contributor

seastalker wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:22 pm Update question: I had a complete install on my SD card of "ScummVM 2.1.0 'Electric Sheep' Complete Collection" which took a while to build. I forgot if the update script might wreck anything like game compatibility but I updated- it now says I'm at 2.2.0

First, according to this page, bbond007 added versions 2.3 and 2.5: https://githubmemory.com/repo/bbond007/ ... /issues/15

How does one update from an earlier version? Bypassing the updater script?

More importantly, is ScummVM like MAME where updates can break what once was compatible or where you need to update your game files, or is the latest version always just 'better'?
You just run Install_ScummVM.sh and 2.5 will be added. You can also modify Install_ScummVM.INI to include any or all historic builds.

I have personally never seen upgrading ScummVM break compatibility when I upgraded, but I'm not going to say it never happened. More likely compatibility will be increased as more bugs have been fixed and more game engines have been added .

Install_ScummVM.sh is not going to remove your existing 2.1.0 or 2.2.0 builds, so you'll still have them if you suspect something has broken.
seastalker wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:22 pm I did notice that the update now changed my look to no longer see the pumpkin-orange and yellow Theme so I'm already concerned about updating
The themes files are different format for (some) versions/branches.

For example, for version 2.2.0, you'd need scummmodern22.zip or scummremastered22.zip from the repo.

I think 2.3 - 2.5 use the same format.
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

Thank you bbond007. I sorted that I needed to update my .sh install file from here :https://github.com/bbond007/MiSTer_ScummVM

Now it downloaded the other versions! From the same link, I re-downloaded the latest themes, most notably "scummremastered22.zip" and made a copy of it to rename to "scummremastered.zip" and now themes are restored in 2.2 Thought to mention in case others are stuck.

I also see now how that the installer has builds 2.2, 2.3, and 2.5 and that you switch between them by not ONE ScummVM script to start, but now the multiple scripts after updating all. If a game fails I can try loading it in a different version.

Thank you again for making this! Now I only have to read documentation to make games exit back into ScummVM instead of exiting to the Mister menu, and to get the games to display larger in scale. Probably just some .ini settings to tweak.