TI-994a How-To

rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: TI-994a How-To

Unread post by rhester72 »

I may have found an issue with the disk controller...using Disk Manager 2, if I try to format a DSSD image, it prints "working..." and just sits forever. Haven't tried SSSD yet.

EDIT: SSSD also doesn't format.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Flandango wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:59 pm
tmop wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:12 pm I only had a problem with Old Dark Caves 2 (1986, Donn Granros) with an IO Error 26 (2 is SEEK OR STEP and 6 is NO DISK/DRIVE or DRIVE NOT READY), but I need to chek with MAME if is a problem of the copy used.
Are you using RXB to load it up? If so I found that using Extended Basic works. It seems that the character set is modified and when the game is in the process of loading the character set (from file DSK1.TXT), it gets to a point where it can load the record into the memory location and it thinks it's not able to read from the disk. It works in Classic99, I haven't tried it in Mame though.
Never mind...it only worked 4 times in a row for me then stopped. Will have to investigate what is going on.
tmop wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:12 pm
Just one feedback: there is no audio/visual feedback on the disk activity. I haven't tested other computer cores. It would be great to have it (in MAME the audio for disk is a nice feature), anyway it's absolutely only cosmetic.
Not sure about sound effects but I can look into possibly using the User Led to indicate at least Floppy Activity.
tmop wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:12 pm Additional features to add are a NTSC/PAL selector (I guess it's now set to NTSC) and an option for the VDP9918 to enable the visualization of more than 4 sprite in a row (this could be available from some other core that uses the same VDP, eg. Colecovision, MSX1).
I'll look into it.

As for pushing it up as an official update, I don't know the process so I'll be digging through the forums to see if I can figure it out.

First, a correction on the error on Old Dark Cave. The IO Error 26 is from BASIC, so the correct meaning is:
2 for INPUT
6 for DEVICE ERROR: "may occur if the diskette is not initialised or is damaged. It may also occur if the system had is power disconnected during a previous print, the disk unit is not functioning properly, etc."

For your reference, the Disk Memory System manual is available here (https://www.ti99iuc.it/web/sfoglia/?cid=123#book/17).

The same disk is working fine in MAME. This game is on a DSDD disk, so this could be the issue. Moreover, the version used is not the original, but has some "turbo" loader in it. I'll try to find the original version to check if it's working.

I've done some other tests. With Disk Manager 2 and 3 it's not possible to format a disk. It seems that is stopping at the beginning of the process (maybe not all the features of the controller are implemented).

I've also filled a DSSD disk with the same program and checked the files on PC and it seems that all the files are ok.

If you need some additional information on the controller you can find them at this page: http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/disks.htm

Many thanks.
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

Thanks for the info Tmop. Yes I couldn't get any of the disk tools to initialize a floppy. Have you managed to get an emulator to initialize a floppy so I can compare cpu <=> floppy controller communications?
As for Old Dark Cave disk, it could be the turbo loader and a timing issue with the drive/cpu.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:34 am Has anyone tried with their games folder on USB drive? Maybe either the roms or disks won't read correctly from there right now, and why mine isn't working?
Moved everything to SD card and still can't get any disk loaded in ToD. The ToD cart is loaded as a C rom correct?
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Flandango wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:14 pm Thanks for the info Tmop. Yes I couldn't get any of the disk tools to initialize a floppy. Have you managed to get an emulator to initialize a floppy so I can compare cpu <=> floppy controller communications?
As for Old Dark Cave disk, it could be the turbo loader and a timing issue with the drive/cpu.
I have initialized 2 disks with MAME, one for SSSD and one for DSDD. I've used Disk Manager 2 with the standard TI disk controller (the same used for MiSTer). For both configurations (DSSD and SSSD) it was possible to complete the process (approx. 1 minute and 44 secs for DSSS and 55 seconds for SSSD). If you need technical infos the mantainer of the TI99 version on MAME is Michael Zapf and is active on the AtariAge forum on the TI subforum.

To create empty disks from PC it's possible to use TiDir (https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99dir/ti99dir.html).

I've just found a different version without the Turbo loader on a 90K disk. I'll try and let you know.

Thanks.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:43 pm
FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:34 am Has anyone tried with their games folder on USB drive? Maybe either the roms or disks won't read correctly from there right now, and why mine isn't working?
Moved everything to SD card and still can't get any disk loaded in ToD. The ToD cart is loaded as a C rom correct?

No, ToD is 1 GROM, so you need to load with the _G menu. Note that the file size should be 40K. If you are using my old FULL Rom Image (with TI BIOS) it will not work since the disk ROM was not included when I've created it.

You can download the GROM image on http://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/ under MAME/zip/tundoom.zip
Flandango
Core Developer

tmop wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:00 pm
Flandango wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:14 pm Thanks for the info Tmop. Yes I couldn't get any of the disk tools to initialize a floppy. Have you managed to get an emulator to initialize a floppy so I can compare cpu <=> floppy controller communications?
I have initialized 2 disks with MAME, one for SSSD and one for DSDD. I've used Disk Manager 2 with the standard TI disk controller (the same used for MiSTer). For both configurations (DSSD and SSSD) it was possible to complete the process (approx. 1 minute and 44 secs for DSSS and 55 seconds for SSSD). If you need technical infos the mantainer of the TI99 version on MAME is Michael Zapf and is active on the AtariAge forum on the TI subforum.

To create empty disks from PC it's possible to use TiDir (https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99dir/ti99dir.html).

I've just found a different version without the Turbo loader on a 90K disk. I'll try and let you know.

Thanks.
Thanks! I'll look into it.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Flandango wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:28 pm
tmop wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:00 pm

Thanks.
Thanks! I'll look into it.

ok, I confirm that also the other version has the same problem. Moreover, I've run some other games with other XB loaders in assembler without any issue.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

tmop wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:07 pm

No, ToD is 1 GROM, so you need to load with the _G menu. Note that the file size should be 40K. If you are using my old FULL Rom Image (with TI BIOS) it will not work since the disk ROM was not included when I've created it.

You can download the GROM image on http://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/ under MAME/zip/tundoom.zip
OK I think I'm just missing the total basics here...

I tried your linked tundoom.zip as a g-rom but mister goes inside the zip and wants me to pick one of the phm3042g# files. I pick 3 or 4 and can then get the menu to launch ToD with option 2 but it just stays on a blue screen forever. 5 or 6 don't even show ToD as an option in the menu.

Previously I used some Italian mister megapack of *everything* and I was playing just the commercial cart games by loading them with the c/full menu. If I try to load that version of ToD as a g-rom I just get a black screen, no blue system menu. I can launch this version of ToD as a c/full but then the disk access doesn't seem to work, even with an updated boot.rom that should have disk merged into it.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:41 pm
tmop wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:07 pm

OK I think I'm just missing the total basics here...

I tried your linked tundoom.zip as a g-rom but mister goes inside the zip and wants me to pick one of the phm3042g# files. I pick 3 or 4 and can then get the menu to launch ToD with option 2 but it just stays on a blue screen forever. 5 or 6 don't even show ToD as an option in the menu.

Previously I used some Italian mister megapack of *everything* and I was playing just the commercial cart games by loading them with the c/full menu. If I try to load that version of ToD as a g-rom I just get a black screen, no blue system menu. I can launch this version of ToD as a c/full but then the disk access doesn't seem to work, even with an updated boot.rom that should have disk merged into it.

Sorry, I've indicated a split GROM for MAME. Just go to RPK directory instead http://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/MAME/rpk/, download tunnels_of_doom.rpk. The .rpk is just a zip file, rename it and extract the phm3042g.bin file that is accepted by MiSTer TI99 core.

Download from AtariAge (https://atariage.com/forums/topic/31265 ... nt=4832549) the [MiSTer][TI99 Core] System ROM+GROM+DISK+SPEECH.zip It's a MiSTer TI99 memory images with TI99 BIOS, Speech and Disk. Load this first with _C option in MiSTer TI99 core menu, then load the phm3042g.bin with _G option from the menu. You'll see now the Tunnes of Doom as option 2 after the title screen.

In a previous post I've indicated where to find the ToD disk. To load a game after ToD screen use: DSK1.QUEST or DSK1.PENNIES
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Awesome, this finally worked for me! :D

Now if only I could find the proc'd button! (Is there a keyboard map somewhere for all the special TI keys?)
GreyRogue
Core Developer

Unread post by GreyRogue »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:48 pm Awesome, this finally worked for me! :D

Now if only I could find the proc'd button! (Is there a keyboard map somewhere for all the special TI keys?)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... urfeld.jpg
https://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuzzb ... 819_02.jpg

FCTN key activates the alternate keys. (Left-Alt = FCTN)
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/TI-99_4 ... 4a.sv#L501

e.g.
FCTN-6 = PROC'D
FCTN-S = Cursor Left
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Since there is interest with Tunnels oF Doom and other TI99 games, you can find some manuals (including ToD) in this site:
https://pixelpedant.com/

Suggested games to try:
Parsec, Munch Man, Big Foot, Demon Attack, the various AtariSoft Games (Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, etc), Popeye, Q*Bert, Frogger, Star Trek.

Remember to activate the Speech Synthesizer (select the 5200 version) for the best experience. ;)
mnielsenau

Unread post by mnielsenau »

rhester72 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:43 am What's the best video mode anyone's found for 1080p display with scanlines? I'm currently using video_mode=10, which is OK-ish (but the scanlines aren't completely even)...the bigger annoyance is the aspect ratio is noticeably too wide.
@rhester72 I agree that I am also seeing that the aspect ratio appears to be too wide and I am seeing some of the text has double wide pixels which messes up the text somewhat. I have tried a lot of resolutions and aspect ratio options and cannot get rid of this effect. Not sure if there is anythig that I am missing but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

mnielsenau
Flandango
Core Developer

Here is another test version of the core.
It should now format/initialize Single and Double sided Single Density floppies.
The USER LED will light up when the virtual drive motor is spinning.
First attempt at NTSC/PAL switching.
I still have issues with the Old Dark Caves 2 game.
I can get it to load most of the time if I have Speech enabled (5200), Attach the Disk first, then load the system rom that contains Extended Basic. I couldn't get it to work much with RXB.

Let me know if I broke anything.
Ti994a_20210607.zip
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 161 times
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Flandango wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:13 am Here is another test version of the core.
It should now format/initialize Single and Double sided Single Density floppies.
The USER LED will light up when the virtual drive motor is spinning.
First attempt at NTSC/PAL switching.
I still have issues with the Old Dark Caves 2 game.
I can get it to load most of the time if I have Speech enabled (5200), Attach the Disk first, then load the system rom that contains Extended Basic. I couldn't get it to work much with RXB.

Let me know if I broke anything.
Ti994a_20210607.zip

Hi Flandango, many thanks for the updated versions!

I've run some tests for this new version. In particular:

- it seems now to format correctly the disks Tested with a DSSD disk with Disk Manager 2;

- the Infocom adventures seems to boot correctly. Tested two different boot loaders: one for Zork 1, Deadline and one for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy;

- BA Writer 1.1 loads correctly (should have its own custom loader) from XB;

- Page Pro 99 boots correctly from XB;

- Plato cart can load the data disks (tested with Fraction Practice);

- PR Base 2 boots fine from XB. Formatted a disk on drive 2 with the internal utility and created a simple db;

- TI Base V1.02 and V3.01 boots correctly from XB;

- Disk Manager 1000 V3.5 and V6.1 boot correctly. It can format disks.

- TI-Artist v2.01 from Inscebots boots correctly from XB;

- the GPL simulator from some game collections seems to work correctly (tested with Othello and VideoChess);

- various assembler loaders from XB seems to work correctly (tested with Computer War, Freddy, Superfly, Midnite Mason, Pinball Construction set, Spy Adventure);

- the EA3 Atari games loader seems to work correctly (teste with Donkey Kong);

- TI-Runner can load correctly the data levels (tested with Editor/assembler);

- Display Master (Inscebots, 1986) from XB is not working: I/O error 26 also for this title. Please note that TI-Artist from Inscebots boot fine;

- Old Dark Caves 2 has the same I/O error 26 for me, also following your instructions: speech, mount disk first, etc.

Regarding the NTSC/PAL switch. I'm using a FullHD PC Monitor. The core is set in 4:3, so with black bands. The scanlines are at 25%. The PAL images seems stretched if compared to NTSC. Sometimes if you reset the core (CTRL+ALT+ALTG) it's blurring and needs a switch to NTSC and back to PAL to clean.

In attachment some photos of the MiSTer core in PAL and NTSC and two of a real PAL TI99 on LCD TV and CRT monitor to compare (with SCART RGB modulator). Not sure if something is needed to be configured on MiSTer .INI file.

I'll do some other tests and report the results. Please, just let me know if you need some of the disks/carts used in the tests.

Again, many thanks for your work on this core.
Attachments
01 NTSC_1.jpg
01 NTSC_1.jpg (5.25 MiB) Viewed 7882 times
02 PAL_1.jpg
02 PAL_1.jpg (4.64 MiB) Viewed 7882 times
03 NTSC_2.jpg
03 NTSC_2.jpg (3.8 MiB) Viewed 7882 times
04 PAL_2.jpg
04 PAL_2.jpg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 7882 times
05 REAL_PAL_TI99.jpg
05 REAL_PAL_TI99.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 7882 times
06 REAL_PAL_TI99_CRT.jpg
06 REAL_PAL_TI99_CRT.jpg (7.11 MiB) Viewed 7882 times
Texemosis

Unread post by Texemosis »

where exactly are the files I need to make the bios? they don't exist in the github.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Texemosis wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:39 pm where exactly are the files I need to make the bios? they don't exist in the github.
You can download the BIOS+SPEECH ROM+DISK ROM .bin file from https://atariage.com/forums/topic/31265 ... nt=4832549 (post #19). There is also a full image with the Extended Basic.

If you search on previous posts you can also find other links for carts and disks. I'm also preparing my new mega-pack for this core.
Texemosis

Unread post by Texemosis »

thanks.
rhester72
Top Contributor

tmop wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:20 pm If you search on previous posts you can also find other links for carts and disks. I'm also preparing my new mega-pack for this core.
I've actually been working on same, but it's "interesting" given the number of hack variations out there (people having removed the menu bypass code from Scott Foresman titles, for example) and multiple language releases (TI was famous for that). It's been a bit slow going actually putting together an 'official' cart set as a result. (I also finally acquired The Cyc, and was rather disappointed to see all of this "blessed by TI" carts are just hacked-up GRAM Kracker dumps.) I'm metlculously evaluating EVERY dump from every major source (TOSEC, Ti99Sim, modern MAME/MESS, the last RPK set, Timrad, etc.) and doing detailed byte-level comparisons to see what's different and have converged on at least 80% of all known dumps being verified at this point. Happy to join forces with you if you like. =)

I was at least able to confirm the PLATO disk set is actually good and complete, which has been a goal of mine for...wow. I'll just say 'too long' so as not to entirely reveal my age and leave it at that. LMFAO
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Would love to see one solid, up to date pack, preferably with as much redundant stuff filtered out as possible.

Also, if somebody could write up short step-by-step instruction on how to run disks it'd be much appreciated.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

akeley wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:52 am Would love to see one solid, up to date pack, preferably with as much redundant stuff filtered out as possible.

Also, if somebody could write up short step-by-step instruction on how to run disks it'd be much appreciated.

It's quite easy to load from disks:

- if there is a LOAD file in a disk it is loaded in autoboot with Extended Basic. Just mount it and select Extended BASIC cart. There are various loaders for compilation of assembler games;

- the assembler files can be loaded using the Editor/Assembler cart. There are two kind of files: EA5 and EA3. These can be loaded from Editor/Assembler menu, option "5 RUN PROGRAM FILE" or option "3 LOAD AND RUN". To understand if it's a EA5 or EA3 you need to check the file type (from Disk Manager). A "PROGRAM" type is EA5, a "DIS/FIX" is EA3.

An EA5 game has usually multiple files. E.g. the game BigFoot has 3 files: BIGFOOT, BIGFOOU, BIGFOOV. To load it just select from Editor/Assembler the menu "5 RUN PROGRAM FILE". At the promp "FILE NAME?" just type DSK1.BIGFOOT (the name of the first file) and it will automatically load all the 3 files and run the game.

For an EA3 game select menu "3 LOAD AND RUN". You need to first load the game (as for EA5), then run it. To run it you need to know the starting label (it's the equivalent of the SYSxxxx on the C64). For example, to load Sargon Chess type firsr DSK1.SARGON. When you see the prompt "PROGRAM NAME?" just type SARGON.
A common starting label is the word START, so just try this or the game name.

Usually the disks have some information on how to load then in the suffix. If you look at some of mine:

- "[TI DISK] Flappy Bird (20xx)(Rasmus)[XB+32K Autoload].dsk" this is an assembler game that runs in autoload with Extended BASIC (suffix "[XB+32K Autoload]");

- "[TI DISK] Rock Runner (19xx)(Eric LaFortune)[EA5 ROCK].dsk" this is an EA5 games. Type: DSK1.ROCK to load and run it;

- "[TI DISK] Monaco Race (1984)(Ulisoft)[EA3 MONACORACE - MONACO].dsk" this ia an EA3 game. Load with DSK1.MONACORACE, then run with MONACO;

Finally, for BASIC games, select the TI Extended BASIC, at prompt type (use upper case only): OLD DSK1.NAMEOFGAME

Note that some TI BASIC games cannot be run in Extended BASIC, you need to use TI BASIC. Finally, sometimes you need to free some disk buffers to load larger BASIC files with the CALL FILES(1) command.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

tmop wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:08 pm It's quite easy to load from disks
Lord Almighty...it's anything but easy :D At least compared to the likes of CPC, C64, etc... I think only MSX beats TI on convolutedness in this regard. It's still fun though, messing with carts and commands...true old school. And thankfully your files have the loading hints in them, I have another set which is clue-less...so it's some work to figure the magic word.

Anyway, many thanks for the write-up. It's all somewhat clearer now. I did manage to load some games, but only with the Extended Basic. The E/A ones throw up "I/O ERROR CODE 0". Not sure why. I have your "tiroms.bin" from AtariAge (28th May), load it first as Full.bin, then load E/A as G, then mount disk and follow the hints from its name (using capital letters), but always get that error unfortunately.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

akeley wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:14 pm

The E/A ones throw up "I/O ERROR CODE 0". Not sure why. I have your "tiroms.bin" from AtariAge (28th May), load it first as Full.bin, then load E/A as G, then mount disk and follow the hints from its name (using capital letters), but always get that error unfortunately.
Just send me this disk and I'll try to check what is wrong.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I was only testing disks from your big SSS pack, and the MESS one, so I assume they are ok. Think I figured it out anyway: I was using a FULL-ROM E/A version, so I suppose loading it was clearing the previously loaded disk drivers (tiroms.bin). Today I've tried another E/A version (by Winfried Winkler), which is a G rom, and now it works. Sometimes, that is, still did not manage to load games which use START or other words.

Which E/A version do you recommend to use?

(also, is it possible to do a cold boot, which gets rid of the loaded roms?)
rhester72
Top Contributor

Probably best to just get a full-rom E/A version with disk and speech support tbh
Flandango
Core Developer

tmop wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:53 pm
- Display Master (Inscebots, 1986) from XB is not working: I/O error 26 also for this title. Please note that TI-Artist from Inscebots boot fine;

- Old Dark Caves 2 has the same I/O error 26 for me, also following your instructions: speech, mount disk first, etc.
If you can get me a copy or point me in the right direction for Display Master so I can test with it, I would greatly appreciate it.

In the mean while, can you test this version to see if the PAL version is anywhere near correct?
I don't have a VGA monitor so all I can test is over HDMI.
Attachments
Ti994a_20210614.zip
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 151 times
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Flandango wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:30 pm
tmop wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:53 pm

If you can get me a copy or point me in the right direction for Display Master so I can test with it, I would greatly appreciate it.

In the mean while, can you test this version to see if the PAL version is anywhere near correct?
I don't have a VGA monitor so all I can test is over HDMI.
ok, I've tested this new version and it seems that the PAL is now correct and no more stretched.

Unfortunately, it seems that the disk support is now broken in this build. The XB cannot boot anymore and also from EA you cannot load any file.
I've tested the same disks with your previous version and they are working fine.

Another thing that I've noticed is that the menu "CART TYPE MBX" is disappeared from the last official build. This also in your previous build.

In attachment a disk with a simple XB program (load with OLD DSK1.PALTEST) that should report if the machine is PAL or NTSC. Unfortunately it was not possible to test with your last build due to disk problem.

Waiting for a correct build to start the tests. :-)
Attachments
PALTEST.zip
(501 Bytes) Downloaded 149 times
Flandango
Core Developer

Ok this is weird. Everything works on my end.
As for the Cart Type, the menu option was ignored from when I brought over the changes from the Mist core and only just recently removed it from the OSD to clean up a bit.
I just started reviewing the original Mist code and I don't see the logic of disabling it especially when MBX banking was implemented in the same commit.
I will look into re-implementing it and hopefully have something by this afternoon.
rhester72
Top Contributor

@Flandango MBX support would be great!