TI-994a How-To

tmop

Re: TI-994a How-To

Unread post by tmop »

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:18 pm So, how close are we now to packing-up our real Ti99/4a machines, and sticking to this latest core ?
I have a Ti99/4a, Nanopeb, Flashrom99, FinalGrom99, and a PHP2700 Tape Deck. So, I can run pretty-much everything on real hardware. I understand there isn't any tape support, yet, but glad to see disk support finally added.
The core status is very good.

Implemented stuff:
- Console;
- Joysticks
- 32K Memory Expansion;
- Speech Synthesizer (it uses MAME engine, so the best you can have for that chip. Not 100% accurate, but very good);
- TI Disk Controller with 2 drives (DSSD and SSSD formats).

Although there is a PAL/NTSC switch the console is running in PAL. The Turbo modo is broken in this update (it works in the last official release).
Flandango is looking at these two problems. Once fixed he should really request to have his update posted on official repository.

Compatibility:
- SSS carts. Most of the carts are working without any problem (all the classic games work, there are just few applications that are not working).
The support for large carts (256K/512K) is missing, so some recent (...and nice) homebrew are not working (e.g. Flying Shark port).
Note that some MBX games (e.g. Baseball cannot run also on real TI without MBX, while others like Big Foot can run without any problem).

- TI BASIC/XB games: you can run now all of them using the disk drive support added by Flandango;

- Assembler games on disk: you can run now all of them using the disk drive support added by Flandango;

- The Mini Memory seems not to be 100% working (internal 4K RAM missing ?), but I've not tested it in-depth;

Regarding the not implemented (yet?) hardware:

- Tape. All the XB games can be loaded from disk (use CALL FILES(1) for some that requires more VDP memory). The TI BASIC games that runs only on bare console (and cannot be loaded using disk and the CALL FILES(1) command) can be easily converted in SSS cart. You cannot run only some Mini Memory games that is not possible to save on disk (very few titles). So, from my point of view is a "nice to have", but not essential feature.

- SAMS memory expansion. It would be nice to have it to be able to run some games that are using it. It should not too much complex to add (maybe checking the code used in MAME);

- F18A VDP chip replacement. This will be a great addition to run some recent homebrew. For example the Zaxxon port that is currently under development (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1MSsgfxQ2E).

Other hardware: P-System, Gram Kracker, additional disk controllers. All "nice to have", but not essential.
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

Thanks for that very detailed post, much appreciated.
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

tmop wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:05 am Although there is a PAL/NTSC switch the console is running in PAL. The Turbo modo is broken in this update (it works in the last official release).
Tmop, I am having a hard time getting the official released core to work with Turbo turned on in any version of Extended Basic. Basic works fine, along with a few carts that I tried. Can you verify for me that the original core worked with Extended Basic and tell me which version/rom/distro you used so I can test against it?

Also on a note for the Pal/NTSC issue, the core, as it stands right now runs a tad bit faster than normal so the pal test will always come up with slightly higher number(s) when run and therefore always show as Pal. For this I will have to look at slowing down the cpu itself by a little bit.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Flandango wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:46 pm
tmop wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:05 am Although there is a PAL/NTSC switch the console is running in PAL. The Turbo modo is broken in this update (it works in the last official release).
Tmop, I am having a hard time getting the official released core to work with Turbo turned on in any version of Extended Basic. Basic works fine, along with a few carts that I tried. Can you verify for me that the original core worked with Extended Basic and tell me which version/rom/distro you used so I can test against it?

Also on a note for the Pal/NTSC issue, the core, as it stands right now runs a tad bit faster than normal so the pal test will always come up with slightly higher number(s) when run and therefore always show as Pal. For this I will have to look at slowing down the cpu itself by a little bit.

Flandango, I've checked with latest official build:

- TI BASIC works correctly with and without TURBO mode;

- TI Extended BASIC does not work correctly with TURBO mode ON;

In your version of the core TI BASIC and TI Extended BASIC do not work correctly with TURBO mode ON. So, the broken part with your build is only on TI BASIC, the XB was already broken. :-)

The TURBO switch could be related to the original FPGA project, that is using the TMS99105 CPU instead of the TM9900. I remember of a patched "994agrom-ep.bin" file used at beginning, but I think it was only for managing the keyboard in the correct way. Here is the old thread on Atari-Forum, that maybe could be of some help to reconstruct the history of the core: https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=33684
Flandango
Core Developer

So, I have been working on getting 512k+ SAMS working on the core. Unfortunatly there aren't enough resources to go above 64k, so I had to use SDRAM.
It does have one bug that annoys me because I can't figure out what's wrong, it's with the Disk Manager 3.0 and initializing Disks (DSSD in my case). It will format and after verification it complains about no disk or drive error...The disk is completely formatted though. Disk Utilities had no problem formatting and finishing without error.
So if you folks have at least the 32Meg SDRAM board, and want to give it a try, please let me know how it goes.
And for the experts that have the ability/know-how to debug the actual DM3.0 code and see what's the root cause, I would greatly appreciate it.
This should provide 1Meg of SAMS and I can get the Megademo to work.
Edit: Uploaded the correct file this time.
Attachments
Ti994a_20210711-SDRAM-REQUIRED.zip
(864.03 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

It looks like it is a sof file, not rbf.
Flandango
Core Developer

Yup, you're right, I screwed up. I fixed it now.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Flandango wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:56 am So, I have been working on getting 512k+ SAMS working on the core. Unfortunatly there aren't enough resources to go above 64k, so I had to use SDRAM.
It does have one bug that annoys me because I can't figure out what's wrong, it's with the Disk Manager 3.0 and initializing Disks (DSSD in my case). It will format and after verification it complains about no disk or drive error...The disk is completely formatted though. Disk Utilities had no problem formatting and finishing without error.
So if you folks have at least the 32Meg SDRAM board, and want to give it a try, please let me know how it goes.
And for the experts that have the ability/know-how to debug the actual DM3.0 code and see what's the root cause, I would greatly appreciate it.
This should provide 1Meg of SAMS and I can get the Megademo to work.
Edit: Uploaded the correct file this time.
Hi Flandango,

sorry, just able to test only today your last build. The SAMS seems to work fine. I've run the SAMS memory test V4.0 and it hasn't reported any issue. It's reportin a 1MB card.

I've run the "Dungeons of Asgard" game (it needs 128KB memory) and it works correctly. This game is in cart format (I'll add it to the next MegaPack).

Not able to run TI-Nopoly, but I need to check the correct procedure to load on MAME.

In attachment a list of supported sw for SAMS (some are avilable on whtech ftp site) if someone else wants to help with the tests.

Is it possible to add a menu option to select the memory options (e.g. none, 32K, SAMS 1MB, etc.)?

Ah, the Disk Manager 3.0 is a beta. The V2.0 is the official version. Also the Disk Manager 1000 can be used as a reliable tool for disk tests.
Attachments
20210718_173034.jpg
20210718_173034.jpg (637.71 KiB) Viewed 12638 times
arcadeshopper

Unread post by arcadeshopper »

Not working on my mister with 32meg sram. I just get a blank screen I can load roms etc. But nothing once I select them. Works fine with previous versions @Flandango
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

This is the list of supported sw for SAMS that I haven't included in my previous post...
Attachments
TI-99-4A-HW-SAMS-AMS-HAMS-v1.07.pdf
(160.39 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
arcadeshopper

arcadeshopper wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:43 pm Not working on my mister with 32meg sram. I just get a blank screen I can load roms etc. But nothing once I select them. Works fine with previous versions @Flandango
I purchased a larger sram, same issue.. blank scren. i can go into the menu and try and load a rom/grom but never get the title screen..
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

arcadeshopper wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:29 pm
arcadeshopper wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:43 pm Not working on my mister with 32meg sram. I just get a blank screen I can load roms etc. But nothing once I select them. Works fine with previous versions @Flandango
I purchased a larger sram, same issue.. blank scren. i can go into the menu and try and load a rom/grom but never get the title screen..

My MiSTer has a 32MB RAM with MiSTer core "MiSTer_20210605". If I run this new TI99 core the black screen is showed at the beginning, but if I select the ti99.bin BIOS it then boots correctly.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Sounds like you don't have a full-memory image as boot.rom in /media/fat/Games/TI-99_4A. Copy ti99.bin to that file and the core should start correctly.
Flandango
Core Developer

Ok, been playing around a little more and made some changes....
Added the ability to disable SAMS memory.
Added a couple more Cartridge Types:
- Paged378/UberGrom (MegaDemo/Don't Mess with Texas)
- Paged379 (TI-Workshop)
- MiniMem (experimental)
To load cartridges that are larger than 64k, up to 512k, after loading your full system rom (if needed), use the Load Mega Cart option.
In case you didn't know, the MegaDemo cart (512k) can be loaded without a system rom straight from the Mega Cart menu option.
The Cartridge Type names and some menu items are...rough...so if anybody has any suggestions for better names other than Paged379....please let me know.
To test/use MiniMem cart, select MiniMem as Cart Type, this enabled the Mini Mem menu with three options.
- NVRAM File *.dat to load a 4k file with extension .dat that will store the NVRAM the Mini Mem uses.
- Load to load the contents of the file into memory
- Save to...well save the contents of memory to the file.
Currently there is no data validation on either the file or the memory contents so save/load at your own risk.
You can load from one file and save to another, just change/mount a different *.dat file.
Since I never used a mini-mem cart before, I don't know if implementation is correct. I know it would have been better to automatically load/save the NVRAM but it's a bit more complicated, at least for me at the moment plus I would hate to ruin somebody's nvram content when autosave was performed at the wrong time.

I've included a blank 4k file named NVRAM.dat in the zip file to get you started.
And I double checked the attachment...it's an rbf and not an sof...
Attachments
Ti994a_20210730-SDRAM.zip
(871.66 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
tontonkaloun

Unread post by tontonkaloun »

tmop wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:07 am
arcadeshopper wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:29 pm

My MiSTer has a 32MB RAM with MiSTer core "MiSTer_20210605". If I run this new TI99 core the black screen is showed at the beginning, but if I select the ti99.bin BIOS it then boots correctly.
Hello,

You're right, black screen! the only way to boot properly is to manually load the bios ti99.bin
Dirk

Unread post by Dirk »

Did you try to rename ti99.bin into boot.rom ?
Had just the same problem and now it works with my mister.
tontonkaloun

Dirk wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:49 am Did you try to rename ti99.bin into boot.rom ?
Had just the same problem and now it works with my mister.
Of course !
the original core works perfectly
Dirk

Unread post by Dirk »

You´re right. I played a litle with other cores and tried then ti99 again and the screen keeps black.
if ti99.bin is in memory then its possible to load the ti99 core again without manual loading the bios.
Flandango
Core Developer

If you want the core to autoload a particular rom, then yes, rename it as boot.rom, otherwise you will get a black screen until you load a rom via the OSD.
If you are trying to use the SDRAM versions of the core (ones I have labeled the package with SDRAM) and you don't have at least the 32Meg SDRAM module, you will only get a black screen because you won't be able to load roms in.
I have been looking into utilizing the DDR ram that is on the Mister for those who don't have the SDRAM module, but it is too slow and the TI994/a is very picky about timing, especially for Floppy Drive operations, and so far had little success finding the right timings to keep everything happy.
Dirk

Unread post by Dirk »

My Mister has a 32 MB SDRAM Module. The SDRAM TI99 Core starts if I load the TI99 Rom via OSD. If I load the ti99 rom before andI reload the core again it starts automaticly.
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

Same here
CPC-Power Staff
tontonkaloun

Same
Flandango
Core Developer

So if I understand it correctly... Currently with the latest core that I posted, if you load a rom, then start another core, or reload this core, it runs the last rom you used in the prior session?
Or are you saying that it is not loading the boot.rom image that you have in the games/TI-99_4A folder?
The core will always start with a black screen until you select a rom with the first load option on the menu or if you have a rom named boot.rom in your games folder.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Flandango wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:55 pm So if I understand it correctly... Currently with the latest core that I posted, if you load a rom, then start another core, or reload this core, it runs the last rom you used in the prior session?
Or are you saying that it is not loading the boot.rom image that you have in the games/TI-99_4A folder?
The core will always start with a black screen until you select a rom with the first load option on the menu or if you have a rom named boot.rom in your games folder.
Ok, maybe the problem is that the boot.rom is in the TI-99_4A directory and not in the game folder. In the latest official version maybe it's searched in TI-99_4A, so this is why for some people your new core with SDRAM is starting with the blank screen.
Flandango
Core Developer

tmop wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:11 pm Ok, maybe the problem is that the boot.rom is in the TI-99_4A directory and not in the game folder. In the latest official version maybe it's searched in TI-99_4A, so this is why for some people your new core with SDRAM is starting with the blank screen.
The boot.rom should be in /media/fat/games/TI-99_4A.
The core, both the last official, and this one, don't search for the boot.rom file, it is provided by the system (Framework?) if it finds one in the core's folder under the games folder.
I have tested the last official release, my last non-sdram version and this last one, and they all load the boot.rom from the folder I mentioned above.
If that is not the case for those who are having problems, then I will need to look into it but will also need more info such as configuration settings (i.e. cart type, SAMS enabled/disabled...etc...)
Now, if you are loading a rom, either via boot.rom or manually and you get nothing but a black screen, that is a different story.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

@Flandango - Nope, that' s not the case. Steps to reproduce:

- Ensure boot.rom (as a 99/4A full ROM) is in /media/fat/games/ti-99_4a
- Power off MiSTer
- Power on and select the TI core
- Note that you get a black screen instead of the the expected 99/4A start screen

For the weird part (keep going)...

- Now hand-load boot.rom as full ROM - note it comes up as expected
- Reload the TI core, and behold! The 99/4A appears

This last part is because whatever memory space in SDRAM you're loading *whatever* ROM into persists across core (re)loads, so if you last had a full ROM of, say, Parsec, that's what will be there on core reload, so boot.rom is being flat-out ignored at all times.
Flandango
Core Developer

Ah...forgot that SDRAM only gets wiped when Main is loaded.
Ok I made a quick fix and it should be working now.
If you are not using a boot.rom file, you will still have the previous rom in SDRAM after a core change since the core itself doesn't wipe the SDRAM unless you do a reboot.
Attachments
Ti994a_20210731-SDRAM.zip
(883.53 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
arcadeshopper

I went to load a new game yesterday that has a - in the filename, on my keyboard it looks like the -_ key is mapped to =+ and also the =+ is that and also the \| is that.. so all 3 keys map to =+ .. makes it very difficult to type a -

Greg
Flandango
Core Developer

The forward slash (/) and minus key (-) is on the left bracket key ([). It's were it's physically located on a real TI-994a keyboard.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I've tried the latest version and the whole screen is nicely filled again, the top/bottom bars gone. Great stuff.