64 bit risc-V

-N2

64 bit risc-V

Unread post by -N2 »

could the MiSTer setup be used to implement a risc-v processor?
hinibi

Re: 64 bit risc-V

Unread post by hinibi »

I second that. It would great to start learning on this platform.
Yop

Unread post by Yop »

Are you talking about a project like this ? https://github.com/thinkoco/de10-nano-riscv
xolod79
Core Developer

Unread post by xolod79 »

robng15

Unread post by robng15 »

Have done some work on this. Whilst amazing, it sadly doesn't work in the MiSTer environment, just uses the MiSTer hardware. My skills aren't sufficient to work on integration.
-N2

Unread post by -N2 »

robng15 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:53 am
Have done some work on this. Whilst amazing, it sadly doesn't work in the MiSTer environment, just uses the MiSTer hardware. My skills aren't sufficient to work on integration.
I can accept this limitation, cause with minimal effort the hardware can be reconfigured between the two enviroments. (sp?)

with the quick look I took of the github it seems to be for 32 bit implementations, are there are references to 64,128,256 bit cores?
robng15

Unread post by robng15 »

As of yet, to my knowledge, not immediately, but the blackparrot core according to their GitHub page is 64 bit capable.
mattcaron

Unread post by mattcaron »

I actually joined the forum just to talk about this integration... I'd like to see it integrated in to the project to boot a mini-PC type RISC-V cored SoC, say to run Debian on VHDs....

I've been doing embedded systems (Linux, FreeRTOS) for the past decade. I've always been interested in FPGAs, and I figured this would be a good jumping off point. I'm currently busy, working part time and homeschooling my kids, but that's going to change in a few months, as the current plan is to stop working completely, for the duration of homeschooling - which basically means my career, as it currently stands, is over.

So, in the meantime, to stay sharp, my plan was Rust + FPGAs. Might as well learn something new, no?

Good to see I'm not completely off base here.

What do folks think the best plan of attack is? Which core, how to approach, etc? I've read the "how to submit a core" docs, pretty straightforward. My inclination is to kind of just jump in and see what damage I can do....
antonie

Unread post by antonie »

Maybe start with something "simple"...like implementing a NeXTstation.