Acorn Archimedes Core

MarbleGiant

Re: Acorn Archimedes Core

Unread post by MarbleGiant »

Just to confirm: The above linked Archie.7z hard disk image works great.

This core is so much improved by having HD support. Going to now get my HD image off my actual A3000 ZIDEFS card and transfer the files over to Archie via Arculator. The A3000 can then be packed away or possibly sold.

A great for MiSTer, with the PCW8256 coming as well. Congrats to all the developers.
punnyandfunny

Unread post by punnyandfunny »

Great work. HDF works fine too. Thanks all.
danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

After a bit of head scratching (and swearing) I managed to get the core working with an HD image, and to install and configure Uniboot, so thanks very much for the great work.

I've been testing a few games, and most of them work fine. One exception is Twinworld, which has corrupted graphics. Also, any attempt to use ADFFS results in an unrecoverable garbled screen.

Thanks again!

Daniel
lister_of_smeg

Unread post by lister_of_smeg »

Chris23235 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:53 pm I tried the image that hubersn made over at the Atari Forum and it works fine with the method described on Github. The only thing that I don't understand is how I can make it permanent that the !Boot folder is launched when I start the core. The only way I managed it to get work is by middle-button-clicking on the Acorn logo, choose Exit and then type

*idefs
*drive 4
*!Boot.!Run

The !Boot folder on this image has the Uniboot installed that is needed to run Starfighter 3000.
Press F12 from the desktop (to get a command prompt) then enter:-

*configure FileSystem IDEFS
*configure Drive 4
*opt 4 2
SIDKidd

Unread post by SIDKidd »

Thanks for those command prompt hints!
Is there a different way to change the harddrive names than clicking with the middle mouse button on it's icon?
The drives name in the icon bar doesn't change. But when I open the drive it shows the given name in the top of the window i.e. "IDEFS::SIDKIDD.$ (n)"
SIDKidd

Unread post by SIDKidd »

@tontonkaloun
Sorry mate gotta answer here, can't reply to private messages yet.
I've downloaded the latest Classic RisOS release from Qube Server and put it on a HDF.
Surely I can share the image if allowed, but will need some tipps where to upload it ;-)
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

lister_of_smeg wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:59 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:53 pm I tried the image that hubersn made over at the Atari Forum and it works fine with the method described on Github. The only thing that I don't understand is how I can make it permanent that the !Boot folder is launched when I start the core. The only way I managed it to get work is by middle-button-clicking on the Acorn logo, choose Exit and then type

*idefs
*drive 4
*!Boot.!Run

The !Boot folder on this image has the Uniboot installed that is needed to run Starfighter 3000.

*configure Drive 4
*opt 4 2
I tried this, it doesn't work for me, do I have to save these settings in any way? When I boot the Archimedes it goes straight to the desktop without loading the Uniboot.
lister_of_smeg

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:04 pm

*idefs
*drive 4
*!Boot.!Run

*configure Drive 4
*opt 4 2
I tried this, it doesn't work for me, do I have to save these settings in any way? When I boot the Archimedes it goes straight to the desktop without loading the Uniboot.
Apologies, I forgot you also need to do:-

*configure Boot
Chris23235
Top Contributor

lister_of_smeg wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:06 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:04 pm

*configure Drive 4
*opt 4 2
Apologies, I forgot you also need to do:-

*configure Boot
Now it works. Many thanks for the help. :)
tontonkaloun

Unread post by tontonkaloun »

Hello ,

Thank you so much! The disc is now bootable.
You have to know ...
punnyandfunny

Is there a uniboot folder on the hard drive image? I've done all the steps above but can't seem to get it to boot uniboot after doing all the steps above. Hmm...
Higgy

Unread post by Higgy »

Is there a way to just get an HD image to boot or do you always need to do something in RiscOS first?
It would be great to be able to distribute a file as per Amiga/Atari HD images where it just works for everyone.
I have tried a few times getting Raspberry Pi and RiscOS to work but failed so looking for a nice setup with some games etc.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Higgy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:15 pm Is there a way to just get an HD image to boot or do you always need to do something in RiscOS first?
It would be great to be able to distribute a file as per Amiga/Atari HD images where it just works for everyone.
I have tried a few times getting Raspberry Pi and RiscOS to work but failed so looking for a nice setup with some games etc.
The image linked in the 3rd post works fine for me. I can boot it. The only thing I had to do (after adding it to the Archimedes it up via the instructions on the Github page) was to press F12 and enter:

*configure Drive 4
*opt 4 2
*configure Boot

like lister_of_smeg wrote. After doing this the Uniboot folder is automatically booted at launch, before the Archimedes booted with the HDD attached, but not with the Uniboot enhancements.
lister_of_smeg

Here is a freshly formatted blank hard disk image:-
IDEDisc4.zip
(508.98 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Also an IDE Utilities floppy image (this contains !IDEForm which can format IDEFS discs):-
IDEUtils.zip
(99.11 KiB) Downloaded 329 times

If you are using Linux, you can create a blank (unformatted) hdf file with:-

Code: Select all

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=IDEDisc4.hdf bs=1 seek=536870911 count=1
This will quickly create a 512Mb sparse file which can then be copied to MiSTer using your preferred method.

Probably not a good idea to create an image directly from MiSTer as it will take a long time...
lister_of_smeg

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:05 pm*configure FileSystem IDEFS
*configure Drive 4
*opt 4 2
*configure Boot
Looking into this further:-

*configure Drive 4 should actually be *configure IDEFSDrive 4 (Drive * configures the default ADFS drive, whereas we need to set the default IDEFS drive), but it doesn't matter as 4 seems to be the default value for IDEFSDrive anyway.
punnyandfunny

SIDKidd wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:43 pm @tontonkaloun
I've downloaded the latest Classic RisOS release from Qube Server and put it on a HDF.
Surely I can share the image if allowed, but will need some tipps where to upload it ;-)
Please do. I tried to make a CROS HDF disc image last night on Arculator and it couldn't read on Archie. I gather it's something to do with the way the harddrive is formatted (ADFS) in the emulator. Or if it's easier, how did you create a HDF from the CROS image?

I'm not sure how big you can upload files onto the forum but 7z will help?
lister_of_smeg

punnyandfunny wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:54 am
SIDKidd wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:43 pm @tontonkaloun
Please do. I tried to make a CROS HDF disc image last night on Arculator and it couldn't read on Archie. I gather it's something to do with the way the harddrive is formatted (ADFS) in the emulator. Or if it's easier, how did you create a HDF from the CROS image?

I'm not sure how big you can upload files onto the forum but 7z will help?
Which version of Arculator were you using? v0.99 and earlier place a 512 byte header in front of the actual disk data in the hdf file, and such images won't work on MiSTer unless you remove it.

v2.0 doesn't do this and images created using that version should be interchangeable with MiSTer.
SIDKidd

Unread post by SIDKidd »

Ok, here is my Classic RiscOS V4.2 HDF. For now I have uploaded it to my dropbox, let me know if it works.

CROS takes quite a while to start up, so be patient.
There are two requesters "Please insert 'CROS4'", one when the RiscOS boot picture shows and again when switching to desktop.
I've always waited until they disappered, unfortunatelly I don't remember much from tweaking around the OS anymore...
Maybe someone can help me with getting rid of those errors.
Keep in mind CROS is heavy loaded with modules and eye candy - it really slows down the machine.

CROS4.2 HDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6qcf09p5kgv9 ... _082620.7z

The second HDF is my personal collection of Demos, Diskmags and small tools. I used to be in the demo scene back in the days.
I'd like to build this collection up, so if you own any other demos, disgmags and such like please get in touch.
The demos for ARM2/ARM3 machines found in my collection are from the website icebird.org, the group I was in.
The is also the full ClassicRiscOS4.2 SparkFS archive on there if you want to build your own image.

Icebird HDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/moktqfe4c4khjnw/ICEBIRD.7z
tontonkaloun

SIDKidd wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:51 pm Ok, here is my Classic RiscOS V4.2 HDF. For now I have uploaded it to my dropbox, let me know if it works.

There are two requesters "Please insert 'CROS4'", one when the RiscOS boot picture shows and again when switching to desktop.
I've always waited until they disappered, unfortunatelly I don't remember much from tweaking around the OS anymore...
Keep in mind CROS is heavy loaded with modules and eye candy - it really slows down the machine.

The second HDF is my personal collection of Demos, Diskmags and small tools. I used to be in the demo scene back in the days.
I'd like to build this collection up, so if you own any other demos, disgmags and such like please get in touch.
The demos for ARM2/ARM3 machines found in my collection are from the website icebird.org, the group I was in.
The is also the full ClassicRiscOS4.2 SparkFS archive on there if you want to build your own image.

Thanks so much for sharing
punnyandfunny

SIDKidd wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:51 pm Ok, here is my Classic RiscOS V4.2 HDF. For now I have uploaded it to my dropbox, let me know if it works.

Thanks a lot. I'll try them out tonight!
SIDKidd

Unread post by SIDKidd »

Forgot to mention that I use the CROS42.HDF as first and ICEBIRD.HDF as scond drive ;-)
danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

SIDKidd wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:51 pm
Hello,

Thanks very much for sharing your disks.

The solution to the "Please insert "CROS4"" request appears to be to change the name of the disk to Cros4 on the desktop.

I have been unable to boot either from your CROS42. disk or from the original one from Qube. I always get "Not enough memory for system variable at line 4960" followed by the system locking up. Does anyone have a solution for this? It happens both on the Mister and on Arculator 2.0. In the meantime I am mounting the CROS4.2 as disk 2, which works well.

Thanks,

Daniel
SIDKidd

Unread post by SIDKidd »

Yeah, I've tried yesterday to copy from scratch and had the same issue.
My workaround was using the cmos.dat from my first CROS install.
Attachments
cmos.7z
(231 Bytes) Downloaded 276 times
danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

SIDKidd wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:26 pm Yeah, I've tried yesterday to copy from scratch and had the same issue.
My workaround was using the cmos.dat from my first CROS install.
Thanks, I'll try it.

D.
tontonkaloun

I think it is requested a floppy named cros4
Attachments
cros4.rar
(88.26 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
tontonkaloun

@SIDKidd

I remade your cros42.hdf disk without the error messages and without needing the floppy

i am doing a download link
tontonkaloun

SIDKidd

Unread post by SIDKidd »

Thanks for the adf, with that mounted I don't get any errors.
tontonkaloun wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:35 am Cros42 without display errors
https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/fceeb56 ... 37d282bca6
Strange, but I cannot get it work.
I guess to have it properly running you need the riscos.rom and cmos.dat that was used when creating the HDF.
It's booting until the desktop shows up and then crashes with a white screen.
tontonkaloun

SIDKidd wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:44 am Thanks for the adf, with that mounted I don't get any errors.
tontonkaloun wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:35 am Cros42 without display errors
https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/fceeb56 ... 37d282bca6
Strange, but I cannot get it work.
I guess to have it properly running you need the riscos.rom and cmos.dat that was used when creating the HDF.
It's booting until the desktop shows up and then crashes with a white screen.
With the Mister or the emulator ?
tontonkaloun

you're right !

that's when it displays the wallpaper!
I will watch