Screen tearing on Ren & Stimpy

Hyper Space Squid

Screen tearing on Ren & Stimpy

Unread post by Hyper Space Squid »

I've noticed that there is screen tearing on Ren and Stimpy on the Genesis core with HDMI output. It seems to do it specifically when you enter the kitchen and run fast with lots of enemies on screen, it also happens inside the fridge level sometimes.

I have tried every setting in the ini menu but nothing seems to fix the issue. I don't remember the original cartridge and hardware having the same issue so i was wondering if anyone else has noticed any screen tearing? :?
Captain FPGA

Re: Screen tearing on Ren & Stimpy

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Hyper Space Squid wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:35 pm I don't remember the original cartridge and hardware having the same issue so i was wondering if anyone else has noticed any screen tearing? :?
It doesn't. I've played this game religiously growing up. I'll take a crack at said stages and let you know if I get the same result.

Far as I'm aware, the only issue that occurs on real hardware during such face-paced action on these parts is framerate dips.
Dreams don't die!
Captain FPGA

Hyper Space Squid wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:35 pm I've noticed that there is screen tearing on Ren and Stimpy on the Genesis core with HDMI output. It seems to do it specifically when you enter the kitchen and run fast with lots of enemies on screen, it also happens inside the fridge level sometimes.

I have tried every setting in the ini menu but nothing seems to fix the issue. I don't remember the original cartridge and hardware having the same issue so i was wondering if anyone else has noticed any screen tearing? :?
So I tested it. Using my own rom ripped using an old device called the Retrode.

There was no screen tearing, only the expected framerate drops just like the original hardware. You sure this isn't an issue with your monitor?
Dreams don't die!
Hyper Space Squid

No, just tried it again using HDMI at 720p and 1080p, only does it on the Smokemonster set U.S rom. Oddly enough I tried the EU version and there was no screen tearing at all.

I'm gonna try swapping out the rom for one from a different set and see if that helps. :?:
Hyper Space Squid

No luck, tried a different rom from multiple different romsets. Tried changing vsync under ini settings. Tried turning game low latency off and on on tv. The only solution that seems to work is to load the U.S rom then change the core header to EU, the screen tearing then goes away.

I suspect at this point that my TV hates this game for some reason, using a 4K vizio TV.
Captain FPGA

Hyper Space Squid wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:32 pm No luck, tried a different rom from multiple different romsets. Tried changing vsync under ini settings. Tried turning game low latency off and on on tv. The only solution that seems to work is to load the U.S rom then change the core header to EU, the screen tearing then goes away.

I suspect at this point that my TV hates this game for some reason, using a 4K vizio TV.
Dude, I'm using a 1080p Vizio TV only the cool kids shop Vizio.

Works perfectly on mine. Perhaps you need to adjust something in the ini. Next time I eject my Mister SD card (since my FTP is acting up again) I'll copy my ini and send it to you, see if that works.

Do you have an original Mega Drive and XRGB-3, Framemeister, or the OSSC? Got a physical copy of Stimpy's Invention? If so you can try it out on your display and see if you get the same result. Might not be a Mister-only issue. Odd as it may seem the Mister could be copying the screen tearing from what you might get out of a psychical copy of that game. Throw it in composite video while you're at it and see if it repeats such behavior.
Dreams don't die!
Hyper Space Squid

So i managed to fix it, or at least eliminate the problem for now. I had to go into the Genesis core settings then miscellaneous and turn CPU Turbo to medium, doing so eliminates the screen tearing and makes the game playable again.

Not sure why this one Genesis game gives me trouble but at least it's playable again.

Big thank you for all the help trying to fix this! :D
Captain FPGA

Hyper Space Squid wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:50 am So i managed to fix it, or at least eliminate the problem for now. I had to go into the Genesis core settings then miscellaneous and turn CPU Turbo to medium, doing so eliminates the screen tearing and makes the game playable again.

Not sure why this one Genesis game gives me trouble but at least it's playable again.

Big thank you for all the help trying to fix this! :D
Anytime.
Dreams don't die!
gamesfan

Unread post by gamesfan »

I had an issue with a rom kinda like this, what I did was change the .md extension to .gen and it fixed it.. no matter what I set as the region didn’t matter. Just an idea.
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

gamesfan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:34 am I had an issue with a rom kinda like this, what I did was change the .md extension to .gen and it fixed it.. no matter what I set as the region didn’t matter. Just an idea.
Wow, what a weird fix! I’ll have to remember this if I ever run into an issue like this with the Genesis core.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

gamesfan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:34 am I had an issue with a rom kinda like this, what I did was change the .md extension to .gen and it fixed it.. no matter what I set as the region didn’t matter. Just an idea.
I suggest using header detection for region versus extension for exactly this reason (it's a setting in the core).
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

This is because you are using the default setting which detects the file extension (file ext setting) for region detection. The auto region header detection is basically perfect ever since sorgelig implemented the way the header detection actually should be. Here's the early PR I submitted (the code written almost entirely by Rysha, helping me learn for the first time) --> https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Genesis_MiSTer/pull/139 - And here's the document from Sega that really showed how the region detection was set that I used as a reference --> https://user-images.githubusercontent.c ... 42c14c.png

I did an immense amount of testing since then and have not seen a single game detect the header incorrectly.
birdybro~