I miss that C button.

cathrynmataga

I miss that C button.

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

Using an X-Box controller, and yeah, I can still play, but it's just not right without that C-button. I miss it. Not sure if I care enough to find an original controller, but I can see the point of getting one.
DevilHunterWolf

Re: I miss that C button.

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

Have you looked into Retro-Bit's controllers? Their wired ones are pretty cheap and rank pretty good for wired latency. And with the Saturn core on the horizon, the Saturn or Genesis style 8 button controller may be worth a pickup. Front 6 for everything Genesis, full 8 for Saturn.
Beiriannydd

Unread post by Beiriannydd »

With Nintendo adding Sega Genesis/MegaDrive to their service, the US is getting a Switch Compatible 3 button pad and Japan is getting a 6 button one. Shaped as per the originals.
cathrynmataga

Thanks,I'll do some googling on this. I'm not such a perfectionist that I need exactly the Genesis controller, but no, R just isn't right as the C-button. I still have some decades old muscle memory that expects the button to be there.
FoxbatStargazer

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I'm a bit suspect on recent Nintendo's input lag. The Switch seems to have a ridiculously low USB polling rate of 16 ms and the Pro Controller ranks about that poorly on the Mister latency chart. Their NES/SNES controllers did not have wired connection (nor the joy-cons) so we do not yet have another recent Nintendo device to compare. So these new controller from them may not perform any better on latency.

In the meantime Retrobit has several Genesis/Saturn controllers, although I'm not so sure on the build quality. My saturn one broke its d-pad after several months and I've seen people online complaining about different parts breaking. 8bitdo's m30 is still working for me, the 2.4ghz "for genesis mini" still has very low wired latency (under 2 ms), and even wireless with the 2.4 dongle works pretty well. Bluetooth version is a bit slower even wired so watch out for that.
SuperBabyHix

Unread post by SuperBabyHix »

When using a controller with 4 face buttons for 3 button Sega games I sometimes set it up like this.
AB
BC

I did that covers most of the bases for games that use A or B as the main fire button so to speak.
0x15e

Unread post by 0x15e »

SuperBabyHix wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:25 am When using a controller with 4 face buttons for 3 button Sega games I sometimes set it up like this.
AB
BC
That's actually the layout a bunch of controllers used back when third party manufacturers used the same tooling to make SNES and Genesis controllers. It's still less than ideal but it at least gets you all 3 face buttons.
cathrynmataga

I can see that. That'll let me rock my finger either from A-B or from B-C. I think better than R, which is not really working for me.
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

I use an 8bitdo M30 Bluetooth controller as my main, and I recommend it totally. The input latency is perfectly acceptable to me over Bluetooth. It can also be used in wired mode.