[MegaCD] Support for hybrid rom/cd images (Pier solar, MD+...)

Lisko

[MegaCD] Support for hybrid rom/cd images (Pier solar, MD+...)

Unread post by Lisko »

Hi as you know there are a few roms that can optionally use the mega cd to enhance the audio quality. Would be great to be able to play them and I suppose that shouldn't be much work. Thanks
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Re: [MegaCD] Support for hybrid rom/cd images (Pier solar, MD+...)

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Genesis and MegaCD are separate cores. They are separate not just for fun. There are some limitations in resources when all Genesis features won't fit in MegaCD (in current implementation). And your request is basically about merging the cores.
May be some day they will be merged, but still many internal improvements are required for both cores before that.
amerika

Unread post by amerika »

That makes sense. There is also a use case for MD+ that the Mega SD supports (and I think Neodev also added it into an emulator) so that you can add in your own music for a game. It's to bad that it can't be done at the moment since MD+ could get a lot easier if Mister supported it. But is what it is!
Sorgelig
Site Admin

amerika wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:02 pm That makes sense. There is also a use case for MD+ that the Mega SD supports (and I think Neodev also added it into an emulator) so that you can add in your own music for a game. It's to bad that it can't be done at the moment since MD+ could get a lot easier if Mister supported it. But is what it is!
Don't you have MP3/CD/DVD player where you can play any music while playing the game? Otherwise can ask for video/stream player while playing the game... Some functions are clearly redundant, especially there are standalone devices doing this job much better.
amerika

Unread post by amerika »

Sorgelig wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:08 pm
amerika wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:02 pm That makes sense. There is also a use case for MD+ that the Mega SD supports (and I think Neodev also added it into an emulator) so that you can add in your own music for a game. It's to bad that it can't be done at the moment since MD+ could get a lot easier if Mister supported it. But is what it is!
Don't you have MP3/CD/DVD player where you can play any music while playing the game? Otherwise can ask for video/stream player while playing the game... Some functions are clearly redundant, especially there are standalone devices doing this job much better.
"Don't you guys have phones???" :)

No, it's not the same functionality. The games are hacked so that songs are started, played and looped as if it was originally designed to be used for the game. Ex: There is an MD+ version of Goldenaxe that replaces the Genesis generated music in the game with symphony CD quality versions. For me, that is an amazing version of the game to play. The Super Nes can also do this with MSA-1 support using the SD2SNES

Here is an example video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbJKvBFXuaU

Hopefully that clarifies how MD+ and even MSA-1 supports works for their respective devices.
Crystal

Unread post by Crystal »

I dont think thats what he is referring to. with md+ you can replace the soundtrack, ideally with different version, like how outrun has various renditions of its soundtrack. its different from just listening to a playlist, as it uses specific tracks only when they are needed. then there is also the case of[afaik] offloading the whole sound processing, to megacd but only pier solar does this now.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

I've watched couple videos with MSU-1.. This completely different from SNES. I would say, it destroys the SNES atmosphere.
By adding CD support to a non-CD game doesn't make it feel like CD game. Quality is degrading.. Even some original CD games being simply converted by original developer sometimes are worse.
For example R-Type Complete CD for TGFx16 has idiotic sound track ruined original R-Type. Thanks, it's not hard to replace the tracks to something sounding original like from PS3 version.
amerika

Unread post by amerika »

Sorgelig wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:38 pm I've watched couple videos with MSU-1.. This completely different from SNES. I would say, it destroys the SNES atmosphere.
By adding CD support to a non-CD game doesn't make it feel like CD game. Quality is degrading.. Even some original CD games being simply converted by original developer sometimes worse.
For example R-Type Complete CD for TGFx16 has idiotic sound track ruined original R-Type. Thanks, it's not hard to replace the tracks to something sounding original like from PS3 version.
That's fine that you have that opinion. Many share it and I also do not like some of the MSA-1 hacks or even CD audio by some of the original devs. My point is that if the Genesis core and Mega CD core gets merged at some point, use cases like Pier Solar and it's extended sound track using Sega CD's mode 1 (https://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/vi ... php?t=1018 - thanks Sampson) or MD+ enabled games can be possibly enjoyed by people who do like them.

You sort of just made my point though Sorg. There are some games that just don't sound really good and being able to modify them might increase enjoyment of a game that was "ruined". Even if the original devs did it. Again, I wasn't trying to get opinions on peoples like/dislike for such things. Just that it's one positive use case if the cores ever can be merged in the future.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

I know Pier Solar. Basically it's the only such game having optional CD addon.
I think it will get support sometime later.
amerika

Unread post by amerika »

Sorgelig wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:59 pm I know Pier Solar. Basically it's the only such game having optional CD addon.
I think it will get support sometime later.
Escape 2042, which I bought a while back, also has this feature. I want to say there are at least a couple newer games that use it as well but I can't find them right now. Busy trying to pack stuff for moving while taking mini-breaks haha. And every MD+ game is modified in a similar (possibly same) way to both Pier Solar and Escape 2042 using Sega CD Mode 1. So if it Pier Solar gets support, the rest should hopefully work.

Also, any chance you can approve my account so I do not need to have my posts mod approved before they go live?
Sorgelig
Site Admin

amerika wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:24 pm Also, any chance you can approve my account so I do not need to have my posts mod approved before they go live?
everyone has to pass 4 first posts approval.
zomgugoff

Unread post by zomgugoff »

How come no one mentions Flux when they talk about this functionality? Sure, it's not a game, per se, but it was the only cartridge to support it at the time.
mathieulh

Unread post by mathieulh »

Realistically speaking, and perhaps I am wrong, but you probably don't have to merge the entire cores to get CDDA support on Genesis.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Well that was fast. Everyone go do some updates and enjoy your Pier Solar!
Neo666

Unread post by Neo666 »

This game now working nicely with CD audio on the latest update, thank you!

On a side note, is there any chance of MD+ support? The carts from these hacks load (renamed rom same as for Pier) but with no CD audio

I understand if this in not desired for the core as these are just hacks, but if it's something that would be simple to add (?) it would be a nice addition to the core, thanks again
Sorgelig
Site Admin

MD+ has nothing to do with CD support.
It's proprietary MegaSD interface. It need separate full implementation.
May be in the future. Not the main priority. Just about several games only - nothing serious.
Neo666

Unread post by Neo666 »

Ok, thanks for the reply. Certainly not a priority, thanks for your continued great work on MISTer!
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

Thank you for getting Pier Solar CD working!
Eyedunno

Unread post by Eyedunno »

Sorgelig wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:38 pm I've watched couple videos with MSU-1.. This completely different from SNES. I would say, it destroys the SNES atmosphere.
I agree with you for most games, but there are some games, like Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, where the SNES music is really bad, and being able to use the arcade music or the NES music instead is an improvement. You could also play Chrono Trigger with added FMVs from the Playstation version, while keeping the normal SNES music (just delete the MSU-1 PCM files). And then there are the Satellaview Zelda games that used live audio streams. There is a restoration project that uses MSU-1 to try to recreate that experience.
Lancelot

Unread post by Lancelot »

Thank you for the Pier Solar CD feature, the MiSTer platform is unbelievable good!
jawler

Unread post by jawler »

Thank you Sorgelig for this new feature. I knew msu1 on snes but nothing about MD+ games.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

While SNES had no CD and appearance of MSU1 had a reason, on Genesis MD+ is something completely unneeded. Genesis had official CD add-on and therefore cart should be adopted to standard CD API if CD audio (or additional content) is required. It would give guarantee that original HW could be used. MD+ was a definitely wrong and unneeded invention of wheel.
mathieulh

Sorgelig wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:14 am While SNES had no CD and appearance of MSU1 had a reason, on Genesis MD+ is something completely unneeded. Genesis had official CD add-on and therefore cart should be adopted to standard CD API if CD audio (or additional content) is required. It would give guarantee that original HW could be used. MD+ was a definitely wrong and unneeded invention of wheel.
Would this mean that if someone converts MD+ titles to the same format Pier Solar uses (is that even possible?) MiSTer would potentially support such titles?
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Not only MiSTer. Original HW will also support it.
Crystal

Unread post by Crystal »

Sorgelig wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:11 am Not only MiSTer. Original HW will also support it.
according to terraonion, md+ and already md+ patched games already work with original hardware. megasd not required for it specifically
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Crystal wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:43 pm
Sorgelig wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:11 am Not only MiSTer. Original HW will also support it.
according to terraonion, md+ and already md+ patched games already work with original hardware. megasd not required for it specifically
something you misunderstood from their reply or your question wasn't clear. MD+ wont work on original HW. MD+ uses it's own proprietary interface.
beast1x5

Unread post by beast1x5 »

MD+ games would be a massive luxury on the MiSTer , especially playing streets of rage 2 with the godlike OST and potentially 1 and 3 with awesome mp3 remixes
mathieulh

Crystal wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:43 pm
It definitely wouldn't, MD+ uses a proprietary command interface as well as tweaks such as undocumented flags in cue files to induce loops and an improved bank switching mechanism and so on. Please read the official development documentation from TerraOnion before claiming whether or not original hardware support things.

While there is no technical limitations (as far as I know of) that prevent these changes from being implemented in the MegaCD MiSTer core (a change I would personally welcome), the MegaSD is NOT (for all intents and purposes) original hardware.

https://downloads.terraonion.com/public ... Manual.pdf
buttersoft

Unread post by buttersoft »

Ok, so how the hell do i get Pier Solar to load? I've tried naming it cart.rom, naming another cart cart.rom, placing it in different folders, etc. If i load the megaCD core, and try to load a cue file, those work fine, but with that option i can't see Pier Solar to select it. The folder it's in will open, but display as empty. Other folders launch the .cue right away.

Any advice greatly appreciated
jdeberhart

Unread post by jdeberhart »

I have a folder called Pier Solar with the cart.rom file as well as the .bin and .cue files for the Pier Solar disc. As soon as I select the folder, it loads cart.rom and the disc image.