Blank screen when I load the MegaCD core

Thad

Blank screen when I load the MegaCD core

Unread post by Thad »

Hi,

This is similar to a problem I'm having with the NeoGeo core. Sorry for another post repeating a lot of the same information, but even though it's the same symptom I'm not sure if it's the same cause. I suspect a BIOS issue but I don't know for sure that's what's causing it.

I haven't been able to get the MegaCD core to boot at all. I have the 128MB SDRAM add-on and the IO board with the generic fan (in case it helps there's more info on my setup in the thread I posted yesterday).

When I try to boot the core, I get a completely blank screen and no inputs seem to work, including the reset button on the IO board. (The Linux environment is still running; I'm able to ssh into it.)

I suspect this may be an issue with the BIOS, because the same thing happened with the GBA core, and resolved itself when I added a boot.rom file.

I've tried several different BIOS files. Here are a few I've tested (copied to games/MegaCD, renamed to boot.rom) and their md5sums:

Code: Select all

683a8a9e273662561172468dfa2858eb  [BIOS] Mega-CD 2 (Japan) (v2.00C).md
310a9081d2edf2d316ab38813136725e  [BIOS] Sega CD 2 (USA) (v2.00).md
854b9150240a198070150e4566ae1290  [BIOS] Sega CD 2 (USA) (v2.00W).md
ecc837c31d77b774c6e27e38f828aa9a  [BIOS] Sega CD 2 (USA) (v2.11X).md
Any ideas or suggestions? Again, I don't know for sure that this is a BIOS issue, or that it has anything to do with the similar issue I'm having with the NeoGeo core; those are just guesses. If anybody could point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated; TIA.
RuBEn

Re: Blank screen when I load the MegaCD core

Unread post by RuBEn »

Hi, i think i have the same problem and it's been driving me nuts, mainly because the megacd core was the main reason that made me buy a MiSTer.

Adding to this, i've tested a lot of bios, stock and region-free, and it keeps frozen or flashing at the bios screen with no response. With some portable system bios, like the cdx, i get a message stating it doesn't have enough power.

I've tried different SD cards, controllers, no-ram... without success.

Although he neo-geo core runs fine for me, the PC-Engine CD gave me similar problems but i solved it by formatting a new SD card, but the Mega-CD problem persists.

I am using only the DE10-Nano, without external boards, and a 128Mb Ram.
rickdangerous

Unread post by rickdangerous »

@RuBen

Humm, that ram sounds an incompatible XXS from Antonio. Send me details, me or Antonio can fix that.

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt

RuBEn

Unread post by RuBEn »

In my case, you're right. i use a 128 XXSV ram from Antonio and i read some time ago in the telegram group about the faulty rams, but i've tried without the ram module and i get the same problem ¿? Maybe that excludes the ram? or not?
rickdangerous

@RuBen

I produce all kind of ram, including XXS, that modules don’t work in all fpga boards.

Contact me directly that I service that for you for free. I remove chips and put in a original board. You’re in Spain?

rickdangerous

Without ram the MegaCD don’t work, need at least 32Mb SDRAM.

Thad

Unread post by Thad »

I tried the CDX BIOS to see if it gives me the same error as RuBEn. It doesn't; I just get the same blank screen as I do with the other BIOSs I've tried.

(In case this tells anyone anything, the md5sum for the CDX BIOS I have is baca1df271d7c11fe50087c0358f4eb5)

ETA: It looks like there's something wrong with the SD card; I tried another one and I'm able to load the BIOS. Thanks for your help.