Border Mode & Aspect Ratio

Zorlac

Border Mode & Aspect Ratio

Unread post by Zorlac »

I have asked about this on Discord before, but figured I should get it on here as well. I would like to see border mode enabled by default and with the correct aspect ratio ...along with the overscan area shown. This would be true to the consoles native output. Plus, I have heard some games would change the border color depending on what is happening in~game. So for example the border is black during normal gameplay and turns red during a battle...

If the devs don’t like this idea, then would someone please at least fix the aspect ratio for border mode? All the other stuff can be manually configured.

Much thanks and appreciation for everyone involved with the MiSTer project...you guys/gals rock!
I was me, but now he's gone!
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Border Mode & Aspect Ratio

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

With 720p/vscale1 being defaults for HDMI, border off is probably the right default choice, as turning it on makes the game display rather tiny. Its also not obvious that its more accurate over HDMI when the majority if not all of the border is supposed to be hidden on consumer CRT. Maybe if there was a third option that just bulked out the 224p to 240p for a thin border.

I don't know what's wrong with the border aspect ratio though?
Zorlac

Unread post by Zorlac »

Rysha has confirmed that the aspect ratio is incorrect when border mode is enabled, but has no interest fixing it anytime soon because of her dislike of borders (which is fair...her opinion). I would totally fix it if I knew what I was doing haha. Just wanted to get this documented on the forum in case someone smarter that I would like to take shot at the code to fix.

Here is another border issue I just found on GitHub:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Genesis ... issues/109
I was me, but now he's gone!
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

The beauty of this project is... even though you don't have the ability now, you can learn how to! Download and install Quartus 17.0.x lite, it's free. Download and install a good code editor (I use Visual Studio Code personally) as well. Then go take a look at alanswx's MiSTer Tutorials --> https://github.com/alanswx/Tutorials_MiSTer

You'll get some valuable perspective and maybe learn a thing or two along the way.

You aren't "not smart", you just need to start learning and practicing.
birdybro~