Super Hang-on responsiveness (control and speed)

luishg

Super Hang-on responsiveness (control and speed)

Unread post by luishg »

Hi all,

The last contact I had with Super Hang-on was 25 years ago on MD, so I'm not sure about the actual performance of this game. A few things regarding the "feeling" of this game on MISTer.

- Was this slow when you press any direction?. I feel like a high latency but could be something related with the animation of the motorbike (just try the SMS Hang-on to compare the response).

- At the beginning of the stage, there are a few seconds where you cannot move. Once you can control it, there is a weird moment (like a buffered input going out). Was this the original behavior?.

It probably is just my memories, but just to confirm that the current performance is as intended.
kikusui

Re: Super Hang-on responsiveness (control and speed)

Unread post by kikusui »

This game was never that responsive on real hardware, it always seemed to take an eternity to register any direction changes if memory serves me correctly. It may have even been deliberate with the career mode as the bike started out rubbish and almost uncontrollable at the start and got better as you bought new parts ... eventually getting to a point where the bike was relatively responsive after several upgrades.
In short, what you're seeing is game related performance issues rather than MiSTer related performance issues.
wei4

Unread post by wei4 »

Two things to mess with-

1. I found the game to be more responsive with 6-button mode turned off.
2. There are two revisions of the ROM; I've read somewhere that the two revisions have (slightly) different feeling controls. I personally like Pyron's graphic restoration hack. Maybe give that one a shot.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

I remember the version of Super-Hang on on the 6-Pak Cart never had good response.
Which is the version I of the game I owned.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Sagat

Unread post by Sagat »

I have been mixing playing this game via RA on my pc (yes i know but i am a sucker for achievements :S ) my REAL md and on mister. All are playable tho some minor controller lag is noticeable to me when playing on pc, mister and md feel near identical.
And on all versions the bike is indeed non controleable till you reach a certain speed, my assumption was this was based on the ARC version where people my accidentily steer the bike when climbing on top of it?