Something wrong with genesis core? EU as default and slowdown?

pbsk8

Something wrong with genesis core? EU as default and slowdown?

Unread post by pbsk8 »

Since a couple of updates on mister using update all, I realized every time I load a game it runs in EU mode, I juut tried Sonic 1 and 2 and it is slow as hell.

Even changing to US again and hit Reset, when I play the game it runs slow, clearly I see this when jumping with sonic (it looks like the gravity was removed, really floaty), only the music is at correct pace.

I only used no-intro roms using datomatic dat.

Anything I have to do do fix this?
wodmarach

Re: Something wrong with genesis core? EU as default and slowdown?

Unread post by wodmarach »

Check your ROM sounds like you have a PAL one.
DiamondDave

Unread post by DiamondDave »

pbsk8 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:12 pm Since a couple of updates on mister using update all, I realized every time I load a game it runs in EU mode, I juut tried Sonic 1 and 2 and it is slow as hell.

Even changing to US again and hit Reset, when I play the game it runs slow, clearly I see this when jumping with sonic (it looks like the gravity was removed, really floaty), only the music is at correct pace.

I only used no-intro roms using datomatic dat.

Anything I have to do do fix this?
I tried Genesis after downloading the shadow masks last week and noticed the same issue. I don't have any EU ROMs at all. Will mess around with it again later today and see if I can figure it out.
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

Yeah, I keep on setting default area to US and settings don't seem to save. Every time I load Streets of Rage 2 it says this games was designed for a different region and I have to switch the settings and reboot the core.
Fear is the mind killer!
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

This sounds similar to what happens if the Auto Region option is set to "File Ext" and an NTSC ROM with a .MD extension is loaded. What is your Auto Region option set to, and what extension do your files have?
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

I have 1G1R for no-intro set, and I always used the japan or us for sonic, but 2 weeks before, the same rom in US was working fine and now it is like this.
justaguy

Unread post by justaguy »

ExCyber wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:50 pm This sounds similar to what happens if the Auto Region option is set to "File Ext" and an NTSC ROM with a .MD extension is loaded. What is your Auto Region option set to, and what extension do your files have?
This is probably it, compounded by the weirdness that with Auto Region enabled, the plain old Region setting will be changed to whatever region was automatically selected, and if you happen to save settings the change will persist. (The interplay between these settings is way more complicated than it should be--for example, Auto Region will change the Region selection when starting a game, but Region will override Auto Region if you change it while the game is running. Watching the scrolling text in the Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage intro change from Japanese to English is neat, but I really wish the two settings were mutually exclusive--i.e. Region is completely ignored (and grayed out) when Auto Region is enabled.)

I should mention that there's a definite bug here in that the Priority setting (e.g. JP>US>EU) is only available when Auto Region is set to File Ext, instead of Header as I remember being the case in previous versions (the setting only makes sense for header-based region detection anyway).
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

The positions of Header and File Ext swapped in release 20211126 to make Header the default, so if you had the setting saved as Header on an older version, upgrading to the latest version will switch it to File Ext (and vice-versa). You might just need to switch it back in the new version.
retro

Unread post by retro »

Set the core's region detection to file extension.

Ensure the ROM file (I am assuming it's an American Genesis ROM) has the GEN file extension.

There are further details in https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Genesis_MiSTer