MD+/MSU Games Are Here!

ghamson

Re: MD+/MSU Games Are Here!

Unread post by ghamson »

You my friend are a genius - I updated the header and it totally worked.

Thank you so much for the quick response... I thought I was going crazy :)
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

KnC wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:49 pm
ghamson wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:38 pm So I have spent some time on these games and managed to get them successfully running - except for one. Art of Fighting...

It complains that the roms needs to run on an NTSC Genesis... but the region automatically gets set to JP regardless of the bios I use either at the root (boot.rom) or the cd_bios.rom that I place in the folder to override the default bios when I load the MSU-MD cart.rom.

I've checked the rom and ensured it is the correct CRC value before I patched. Is anybody else seeing this behavior? If so... have you had any luck resolving?
the fix has been pushed to the core not sure if its been released yet though
if you want a quick fix and have an io board load game so you get the error and then goto osd and change it to US then press the button labled user on the io it will reset without ejecting disk and reload and work fine

if no io you could hex edit the cart.rom to have EJU instead of JUE and it will work too
or wait for the fixed release
Interesting, this shouldn't be a problem as Art of Fighting on Sega Genesis USA has "U" in the header already, and the European version has "E". Is the region handling in MegaCD not setup according to this --> https://plutiedev.com/rom-header (check bottom for updated region handling in header).
birdybro~
KnC

Unread post by KnC »

we are talking md msu patches here and the header is patched to be region free so is changed to JUE
and mister is choosing the first region in the header on segacd
as i say though the fix is already in the github waiting for a release
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MegaCD_ ... ea3a270368
kikusui

Unread post by kikusui »

Has anybody tried the relatively new MD+ MSU version of Ghouls & Ghosts on MiSTer yet? Before I go reporting issues to the author of the patch I guess I want to make sure I'm not alone in seeing issues. The coder of the patch admits that it wasn't tested on MiSTer.
I'm seeing constant freezing and locking. It's happened in various different places but as of yet I've not been able to complete the first stage because of it. The rom has been patched and renamed to cart.rom. The screen freezes and the game locks, music still plays & the MiSTer OSD is still functional.
KnC

Unread post by KnC »

i have had a quick go used the cheat version to play level 1 :)
and it seems ok but you also need to remember that msu is not officially supported by mister so they maybe problems with some games
i used the music by relikk if that makes any difference
kikusui

Unread post by kikusui »

I've tried both Relikk's "Arcade Soundtrack" and ArcadeTV's "X68000 Soundtrack" packs. Also, both cheat & non-cheat versions of the patch with the same results on every attempted playthrough. Rom patched with Flips, and my original rom CRC matches the readme.

Would have been nice to play this with the X68k soundtrack, but ... oh well, never mind! Thanks anyway, KnC. :)
KnC

Unread post by KnC »

have you tried a diff bios i am using us_scd2_930601_regfree if it helps in anyway
kikusui

Unread post by kikusui »

Same results I'm afraid :(
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

KnC wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:05 pm we are talking md msu patches here and the header is patched to be region free so is changed to JUE
and mister is choosing the first region in the header on segacd
as i say though the fix is already in the github waiting for a release
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MegaCD_ ... ea3a270368
Just noticed when looking through this, the region code stuff should probably be updated to reflect how it currently is in the Genesis core. The automatic header detection of region won't work right on any games that are technically following Sega's official methods.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Genesis ... is.sv#L797

vs.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MegaCD_ ... D.sv#L1046

Source for correct method --> https://plutiedev.com/rom-header - see bottom

EDIT: Also European region code isn't even supported at all in the current cart region code detection for the MegaCD core.

I'll test all this stuff out anyways, trying out other people's md msu stuff and see if I notice anything.
birdybro~
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

https://github.com/birdybro/MiSTer_Core ... 210114.rbf

If you'd like to test with latest commit from shane, see if it fixes your issues. I just compiled it for you yesterday night.
birdybro~
KnC

Unread post by KnC »

aberu wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:11 pm https://github.com/birdybro/MiSTer_Core ... 210114.rbf

If you'd like to test with latest commit from shane, see if it fixes your issues. I just compiled it for you yesterday night.
thx for the build but i already have Shanes build and it works great that's why I linked to his fixes earlier :)
kikusui

Unread post by kikusui »

Thanks for this build, aberu. Sadly, doesn't fix the issues I'm seeing with Ghouls 'n Ghosts. At this stage I'm going to have to assume it's something to do with the GnG MSU patch. I've just tested the author's Sonic 1 MSU patch & that's working perfectly.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

I've begun testing these, but getting them all together and patching them is a real pain in the neck! Anyways, I had Moonwalker lockup for no reason at one point as well. Ghostbusters, Castle of Illusion, and Streets of Rage 2 Arranged worked fine for me for about 30 minutes of play each though. I have the default update_all bios.
KnC wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:52 pm
aberu wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:11 pm https://github.com/birdybro/MiSTer_Core ... 210114.rbf

thx for the build but i already have Shanes build and it works great that's why I linked to his fixes earlier :)
Have you tested Ghouls and Ghosts yet? Do both you have the same CRC32 post-patch? This will rule out a problem with the patching procedure. I found that in one instance patching the MD+ patched rom worked and patching the original didn't, and in another instance the reverse worked, etc... Very strange.

EDIT: srg320 to the rescue! https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MegaCD_ ... 8a9e4a698a

I'll compile one real quick to see if this remedies the issue for you.

EDIT2: Doesn't compile, needs to be fixed.
birdybro~
KnC

Unread post by KnC »

it does not do it every time i play it but i tried it again later and it did freeze so it seems random and intermittent on my end i played the first level like 5 times in a row and it did not freeze but later in the night it froze halfway through but then i managed a few goes with no freeze

Edit-- ahh you posted the fix while i was typing :)
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Doesn't compile anyways, needs to be fixed, a new object srg320 put in there wasn't declared

Code: Select all

Error (10161): Verilog HDL error at gen.sv(650): object "DBG_HOOK" is not declared. Verify the object name is correct. If the name is correct, declare the object.
birdybro~
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

kikusui wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:11 pm Has anybody tried the relatively new MD+ MSU version of Ghouls & Ghosts on MiSTer yet? Before I go reporting issues to the author of the patch I guess I want to make sure I'm not alone in seeing issues. The coder of the patch admits that it wasn't tested on MiSTer.
I'm seeing constant freezing and locking. It's happened in various different places but as of yet I've not been able to complete the first stage because of it. The rom has been patched and renamed to cart.rom. The screen freezes and the game locks, music still plays & the MiSTer OSD is still functional.
Been slowly testing these all out. So far every single MSU MD works for me quite well, except for Moonwalker crashing once, but couldn't recreate that after a few tries. I didn't play all the way through GnG because I'm just really bad at that game, but... Is this the hash on your patched rom?
nupUNICYrM.png
nupUNICYrM.png (6.62 KiB) Viewed 13451 times
birdybro~
RetroPolo

Unread post by RetroPolo »

Hello @mario64 . Can you open the access to the google drive for the account polo.clubic@xxxxxx ? Thanks for your help ;)
Ross_Jolet

Unread post by Ross_Jolet »

Does anyone know the location of the correct MSU-1 files hiddenleaves is referencing?
afterburnerSEGA

Unread post by afterburnerSEGA »

Hello everyone. Does anyone here have the means to create these MD+ games be it via the Terraonion way or with the new Krikzz method?

Please PM me if you do.

I have something to share with the community but am having trouble with some of the technical aspects.
ArcadeTV

Unread post by ArcadeTV »

Hi@all,

I thought it was a good idea to register here to check what's happening with MiSTer and MSU-MD.
I can't receive PM's because I just registered, if you want to contact me https://twitter.com/arcadetv is an option.

Can somebody pls gimme an update, I have users reporting that audio tracks keep playing the next track and not stopping. Apart from that support for MSU-MD seems good.

I'd like to add information to my wiki http://msu.arcade-tv.de about how to play MSU-MD patched games on MiSTer. I've read you have to copy and rename the patched ROM to "cart.rom". Is there anything else worth mentioning?

Cheers,
Alex.
chocomochino

Unread post by chocomochino »

EthanHunt007 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:41 pm Hi hiddenbyleaves,

That would be great. Thanks
Can i also get It?
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

Lisko wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:10 pm Krikzz also released a mega cd test bios/cart to see how actually accurate the hardware is based on his findings. Mister has some errors about registers and then hangs on cdc init. Who knows if sorge is aware of this and if can help the work of the core's developers
Can anyone point me to the Krikz test bios/cart? I have the MSU looping working now, but I'd like to do a more extensive test to see if it passes
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

zakk4223 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:10 amCan anyone point me to the Krikz test bios/cart? I have the MSU looping working now, but I'd like to do a more extensive test to see if it passes
https://github.com/krikzz/MEGA-PRO/tree ... erificator

There's also an issue open about it failing, although not much detail/discussion yet: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MegaCD_MiSTer/issues/50
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

The latest Main release added the drive status commands that should allow the MSU track looping to work.

It still doesn't pass the Krikzz cd test. I couldn't find any emulators that passed it either, so I'm not entirely sure what we're missing.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

zakk4223 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:59 am The latest Main release added the drive status commands that should allow the MSU track looping to work.
That is so great to hear. Thank you! Will do some testing this weekend and hopefully close my GitHub feature request.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

How are you supposed to load these in the megacd core? Or is the core still in beta?
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

Milspex wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:42 pm How are you supposed to load these in the megacd core? Or is the core still in beta?
It works in released versions (bugs notwithstanding) by placing the cartridge ROM as "cart.rom" file in the game folder/zip.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

thanks so much I got it working
Deddrick

Unread post by Deddrick »

ghamson wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:38 pm So I have spent some time on these games and managed to get them successfully running - except for one. Art of Fighting...

It complains that the roms needs to run on an NTSC Genesis... but the region automatically gets set to JP regardless of the bios I use either at the root (boot.rom) or the cd_bios.rom that I place in the folder to override the default bios when I load the MSU-MD cart.rom.

I've checked the rom and ensured it is the correct CRC value before I patched. Is anybody else seeing this behavior? If so... have you had any luck resolving?
I got it working.
When the "needs to run on an NTSC Genesis" screen shows up, switch to OS and change region, then go back, tada~~it works.
Deddrick

Unread post by Deddrick »

I tried some MD+ patches, they don't work on MiSTer, seems only MSU-MD patches are working.