Colors just seem off for NES Ivan Stewarts Offroad

Morfious

Colors just seem off for NES Ivan Stewarts Offroad

Unread post by Morfious »

I have an issue where the colors for Ivan Stewart's Offroad seem off and wrong. Red seems more pink than red. I have tried different palettes and it does change some of the colors but none seem actually correct. Is there something off, or are the colors for the NES version of this game just "off"? I do not notice any issues or problems when playing other games or Arcade ports. I am aware the colors on the NES are not standardized and that variation is normal. Just looking for some insight or options to make it look like it should.

Thanks
lupin3rd

Re: Colors just seem off for NES Ivan Stewarts Offroad

Unread post by lupin3rd »

Well, that depends. Several questions are in order.
  • What video output are you using on MiSTer? RGB, HDMI? If analog video, which I/O board?
  • What are you basing your color comparison on? When and where did you play the game first? On a real NES on an old CRT or an emulator?
The answer to those questions ultimately dictates your own answer. The unfortunate thing is that the original system on a CRT has no official reference color you can compare to. This is because CRTs are all adjusted differently and one TV will look drastically different than another one due to personal preference and settings. Also, the video out on a NES was either RF or composite, which also takes a toll on the color output.

If you played it on an emulator, that emulator may have been using a palette that was "off", which makes it look weird now.

Some people have reported that messing around with the RGB output's (if being used) SOG switch has altered the color. Others have suggested that a hardware mod to the SOG circuit is in order for some I/O board revisions. Please search the forum to find those threads, as I don't have them on hand unfortunately.