Ghosting on moving sprites on NES games

aoshi323

Ghosting on moving sprites on NES games

Unread post by aoshi323 »

Hi

I have an issue where on certain nes games like Super mario 3 there is ghosting effect happening on moving sprites.

I'm connecting the mister fpga to a Samsung UE40NU7120 40-Inch 4K via a hdmi cable.

Ive been playing around with the vsync settings to no avail. Seems to be a tv related issue but was wondering if anybody has experienced something similar. I'm not experiencing this on the other emulators I've tried.

thanks

Aoshi
bootsector

Re: Ghosting on moving sprites on NES games

Unread post by bootsector »

Had this very same issue on a 40” Sony Bravia. It was completely solved after I’ve enabled TV’s game mode.
aoshi323

Unread post by aoshi323 »

Unfortunately I'm having the same issue even with game mode on.
artfakt

Unread post by artfakt »

Newer Samsung TVs have a "Motion Plus" settings to disable, even when Game mode is activated. Had that problem in MiSTer as well as when I played Mario Maker 2 on switch.
zypheratus

Unread post by zypheratus »

I'm having the same issue but I know it's TV related, as soon as I switch to CRT it's like day and night. Adventure Island 2 is my number 1 game to showcase/verify ghosting on lcd panels. I'm using a Benq GW2280 monitor (5ms response time) and tried the different AMA settings with slight improvement, i wonder if a 1ms response time monitor would make a difference.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

This is certainly related to your tv. The motion plus settings can alleviate it, sometimes turning off all kinds of other fancy digital processing effects can alleviate it. I have a samsung tv too. One thing I notice is the sharp interpolation filter even at native 1080p for the tv causes some weird misshapen pixels, but it doesn't shimmer and that's the main goal.

Another thing to check is, are you plugged directly into the TV? If not, the signal could have some processing added to it as well along the chain somewhere. Like if you have it plugged into a home theater receiver, and that receiver isn't set to do hdmi passthrough at the moment, etc... It could be upscaling from 1080p to 4k.

Also make sure your TV isn't upscaling from 1080p to 4k.

Also often times tv's can have issues with certain resolutions. If 1080p does ghosting on your 4k, well try 1440p, try 720p, etc... There's many hours to be lost investigating this for your particular setup :)

I'm weird, I enjoy testing out these things and optimizing them endlessly.
birdybro~