NES via VGA Scaler on CRT (Composite Blend)

rgavril

NES via VGA Scaler on CRT (Composite Blend)

Unread post by rgavril »

I like the sharp image produced by my PVM but sometimes I feel like playing the games, the way I remember them in from childhood, with a bit of blending.

The Composite Blend scale filters are doing a great job creating the picture that I'm after, but for them to work on my CRT I need to force vga_scaler=1 and set a video_mode.

I can't find a video_mode for 256x240 and any other resolutions will create a squashed image or scaling artefacts. I know I could get in the service menu and try to scale the visible area to fit the screen but that would affect all other cores.

Does anybody know a video_mode so I can use NES via the scaler on a CRT ?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: NES via VGA Scaler on CRT (Composite Blend)

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

https://tomverbeure.github.io/video_timings_calculator

Scrolling down the list, copy the values for these to make your video mode (from the CVT column on left):

H Pixels, H Front Porch, H Sync, H Back Porch, V Pixels, V Front Porch, V Sync, V Back Porch, Pixel Clock x 1000 (at the very top)
rgavril

Re: NES via VGA Scaler on CRT (Composite Blend)

Unread post by rgavril »

@FoxbatStargazer: Thanks for the link, it was very useful.

I managed to find a video mode that fits exactly the NES output and has proper integer scaling.

For those interested in getting a composite blend effect for the NES core, you can add this to your Mister.ini

Code: Select all

[NES]
video_mode=560,24,48,56,240,3,10,6,10250
vga_scaler=1
Then make sure you use this options on the core:

Code: Select all

NES -> Audio & Video -> Aspect ratio: Original
NES -> Audio & Video -> Scale : Wider HV-Integer
System -> Scale filter - Custom (Any Composite Blend Filter)
I use the Composite Blend/Comp_Scan_HV_25 filter and think is looks perfect but any of them will do the trick.