Earthbound and copy protection

Bouboule69

Earthbound and copy protection

Unread post by Bouboule69 »

Hey everyone,

So, i've been wanting to play Earthbound recently, but I'm worried about trigering the copy protection that happens later in game, like some versions of Megaman X does with Mister.

Anyone knows if it is safe to play?
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Earthbound and copy protection

Unread post by aberu »

https://wikibound.info/wiki/Anti-piracy ... EarthBound

According to this, I'd be surprised if the protection was triggered. I played about 8 hours into Earthbound and didn't notice any copy protection like mentioned in this wiki article.

The MegaMan X issue you were referring to (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=747 <-- seen here) was actually the result of the person not using the known good v1.1 USA release with an md5 checksum of DF1CC0C8C8C4B61E3B834CC03366611C (https://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.ph ... =49&n=1609). I doubt the Earthbound checks are as notoriously buggy as Mega Man X v1.0 USA/Japan is, but we'll see.
birdybro~
Bouboule69

Unread post by Bouboule69 »

Thanks for the reply.
If I give it a try i'll post on this thread to confirm.
djsquare

Unread post by djsquare »

I've played through Earthbound and didn't have any problems, other than not being able to find the Sword of Kings when you go under Stonehenge
MottZilla

Unread post by MottZilla »

I don't believe MiSTer has any issues with any SNES games using SRAM based copy protection. It's used in many popular games so we'd probably know if there was an issue. By contrast Mega Man X uses SRAM as well as ROM mirroring/mapping for copy protection, something very few games used.