SNES Core Issue

organicghosts

SNES Core Issue

Unread post by organicghosts »

When I try to launch the SNES core (most recent update, and tested a few prior) I get a back screen for a few seconds and lose the HDMI signal. All LEDs except the power die as well. I can still SSH into the MiSTer and reboot it from there, but it won't take any input from my controller.

I've troubleshooted a few things:
  • I've got 32MB SDRAM. Ran memtest and it's stable at 150mhz for hours--no errors.
  • Tried various video settings, including defaults and I still have the same issue.
  • Other cores requiring 32MB SDRAM work fine.
Is there a chance the SNES core has some specific video weirdness that my LG BX 2019 doesn't like, or is it likely there is still some issue with the RAM despite the memtest results?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Re: SNES Core Issue

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Power LED on I/O board is working? Then core is fine. Press Menu(OSD) button - may be you just get a blank screen (which is normal).
organicghosts

Sorgelig wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:04 am Power LED on I/O board is working? Then core is fine. Press Menu(OSD) button - may be you just get a blank screen (which is normal).
Not quite. I don't have an I/O board. I'm referring to the LEDs on the nano itself. Blue light stays on, but the orange LED and the green ethernet LED both die. I'm not getting a black screen either, I'm getting a no signal message. Other cores boot with a black screen, but hitting the menu button on a controller or keyboard brings up the core menu as expected. There's no signal whatsoever after booting the SNES core, and controller/keyboard input doesn't achieve anything. :(
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Kind of a funny question but... Have you tried deleting your SNES core rbf file and running the regular update script again? I've had this happen occasionally, an rbf downloads and it gets corrupted in transit over the interwaves.
birdybro~
organicghosts

aberu wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:13 am Kind of a funny question but... Have you tried deleting your SNES core rbf file and running the regular update script again? I've had this happen occasionally, an rbf downloads and it gets corrupted in transit over the interwaves.
Yeah, I've tried this as well. I might try that again while I'm waiting for other suggestions just in case I got really unlucky. Thanks though!
organicghosts

Managed to resolve the issue by completely formatting the SD card and running the update script again. Still not sure what went wrong, but it seems to be resolved for now. Thanks for the suggestions!
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Probably SD card file system was corrupted, so rbf was broken when loaded into FPGA and thus couldn't start.
MrX_Cuci

Unread post by MrX_Cuci »

Deleted, had nothing to do with this thread.