Donkey Kong Country save issue

pbsk8

Donkey Kong Country save issue

Unread post by pbsk8 »

So, I have been stuck every time I try to continue my savegame on DKC.

Everytime I boot the game, it is on 37%, I always end up in world Gorilla Glacier again

despite last time I saved, It was 49% on next world already. It simply erased my progress. It's odd because today, I got to 49% again, saved and then rebooted the game to check if it was saving, and it was 49%. Ok so far. But then I turned off mister and some time later I went to play it again and then...37%

I have autosave ON, on options, anything else I have to do to really save the game normally?

I have the no-intro set rom Donkey Kong Country (USA) (Rev 2)

I am afraid now to start playing some RPG on snes and lose progress like this :shock:
ReadyPlayerTwo

Re: Donkey Kong Country save issue

Unread post by ReadyPlayerTwo »

You need to open the OSD (F12) after each save, even with auto save set to on then your games will be saved
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

I got into the habit of always soft rebooting the MiSTer before turning it off, as that involves opening the OSD and thus triggers the auto save.
SwedishGojira

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

jlancaster86 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:57 am I got into the habit of always soft rebooting the MiSTer before turning it off, as that involves opening the OSD and thus triggers the auto save.
I do exactly the same thing and so far I have had no problems.
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

jlancaster86 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:57 am I got into the habit of always soft rebooting the MiSTer before turning it off, as that involves opening the OSD and thus triggers the auto save.
I have the mister io board. So after you save in game (or do you also manually use the save backup ram option?) you reboot the mister using the left button?

I wanna know exactly which steps to make everytime.

But it is odd, because after I saved in game, I pressed the right button on mister to reboot the game and then I checked and everything was saved.

Only when I turned it off and came back later is that the progress was lost.
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

All you need to do (provided you have "autosave" enabled) is open the OSD with whatever button is mapped to do that (I don't have an IO board, so it's a gamepad button for me). As soon as the OSD is opened, it writes the game's save to storage.

Rebooting has no effect on the save; it's just part of my own ritual. I don't have a physical reset button, so I have to do it via the OSD (and again, opening the OSD writes the save to storage).