More Donkey Kong Country (1 and 2) save issues

ArsInvictus

More Donkey Kong Country (1 and 2) save issues

Unread post by ArsInvictus »

I'm not able to save my progress in either of these two titles, while all the other SNES titles seem to save just fine. I do have autosave on and I am bringing up the menu to trigger the actual save, just as I'm doing in every other title.

One difference I've noticed between the .sav files in the saves/SNES folder is that every other title consumes 8.2 KB per file, while the ones for both versions (and multiple revision variants I've tried) all only have a file size of 2.0 KB.

I have an original SNES I can play these titles on, but I'd love to not have to switch back and forth just to play these 2 games.

If anyone has suggestions for how to fix the issue let me know.
fedor

Re: More Donkey Kong Country (1 and 2) save issues

Unread post by fedor »

the save size of 2 kB is normal for this game, saves do work for me with this game btw. maybe try manual saving to solve the issue?
KneeTie

Unread post by KneeTie »

I've beat both games on Mister with no issues. I suggest you try different rom files.
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

ArsInvictus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:34 pm I'm not able to save my progress in either of these two titles, while all the other SNES titles seem to save just fine. I do have autosave on and I am bringing up the menu to trigger the actual save, just as I'm doing in every other title.

One difference I've noticed between the .sav files in the saves/SNES folder is that every other title consumes 8.2 KB per file, while the ones for both versions (and multiple revision variants I've tried) all only have a file size of 2.0 KB.

I have an original SNES I can play these titles on, but I'd love to not have to switch back and forth just to play these 2 games.

If anyone has suggestions for how to fix the issue let me know.
Wait—you have SAV files for the games on your MiSTer, yet you say the games aren't saving? Did you copy the SAV files over from some other emulator? Are the files flagged as "read only"?
ArsInvictus

Sorry, I should have stated it differently. I thought perhaps the save files were corrupted or incomplete in some way. But the actual issue seems to be that the .sav files aren't loading. I've tried loading them manually but it didn't make a difference. I've also tried saving with and without autosaving on.

The rom files I'm using are from No-Intro, so I hope there isn't an issue with them. That being said I downloaded them from two separate sources and tried both.

The permissions on the files seem to be the same as all the other files:

Code: Select all

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   8192 Apr  9 23:41 'Breath of Fire (USA).sav'
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   2048 Apr 10 23:45 'Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy'\''s Kong Quest (USA) (En,Fr) (Rev 1).sav'
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   2048 Apr 10 23:50 'Donkey Kong Country (USA) (Rev 2).sav'
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   8192 Apr 10 10:45 'EarthBound (USA).sav'
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   8192 Apr 10 03:49 'Final Fantasy III (USA).sav'
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   8192 Apr 10 03:30 'Kirby Super Star (USA).sav'
I'm almost certain when I figure out what's going on it will be something ridiculously obvious and stupid on my part :)
jlancaster86

Hmm...I just tested Donkey Kong Country 2, and it's saving and loading just fine for me. My save file is 2 KiB in size.

Have you tried removing the save files you have and letting MiSTer regenerate them? They may be corrupt in some way.
Attachments
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest.7z
(305 Bytes) Downloaded 209 times
ArsInvictus

Thanks jlancaster, I tried that save file and it does work. So it isn't a problem with the loading, it's something wrong with the save files that are being generated. I haven't a clue as to what's causing the save problem though.

Any other suggestions I could try?
ArsInvictus

jlancaster86 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:44 am Have you tried removing the save files you have and letting MiSTer regenerate them? They may be corrupt in some way.
And yes, I had tried that a few times, the files would be recreated but aren't loading.
jlancaster86

I just tried renaming my ROM back to the No-Intro naming scheme, generating a new save, saving, and reloading. It all worked fine.

I really don't know what the problem could be at your end. I assume you're saving to an SD card (I'm saving to an SMB share), so could it be something funky with your SD card or its filesystem?
ArsInvictus

Yeah I really have no idea, since it is working great in every other game. I was playing some Secret of Mana this afternoon and was saving and loading perfectly fine. I may have to throw in the towel on this one and just play these 2 games on the original hardware. Not sure what else to try. I hugely appreciate all your help with this though! Thank you!

jlancaster86 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:28 am I just tried renaming my ROM back to the No-Intro naming scheme, generating a new save, saving, and reloading. It all worked fine.

I really don't know what the problem could be at your end. I assume you're saving to an SD card (I'm saving to an SMB share), so could it be something funky with your SD card or its filesystem?