SNES Core problems with some games

ascopolis

SNES Core problems with some games

Unread post by ascopolis »

I have noticed some problems in the core of SNES recently, some games like Chrono Trigger, Earthworm Jim 1 & 2, and Earthbound do not boot (black screen), sometimes they do, but other times they do not, not regularly. I've already tried different versions of the ROMs and they don't work either. Other games like Mega Man X 2 throw me an error screen:

Interface Register: ERROR!
Register File: ERROR!
DATA RAM ERROR!
INMEDIATE REGISTER ERROR!
IMMEDIATE ROM ERROR!

I already tried previous versions of the core and I can't get them to do it either, I find it hard to believe that it is my Micro SD because this only happens on the SNES Core. The other cores work fine.

Any idea on where I can start to fix this?
aberu
Core Developer

Re: SNES Core problems with some games

Unread post by aberu »

The Mega Man X2 error you cited is often related to it not passing the anti-piracy check.

I have no problem loading any of those cores. My first fix would be to delete your Main ("/media/fat/MiSTer" for instance). And then delete the SNES_YYYYMMDD.rbf file from _Console directory. Now redownload both from github and put them back in there (make sure rename the latest main release as MiSTer). Test from there.

Just because other cores work fine doesn't mean it's not the MicroSD but I'm inclined to believe it's not your MicroSD as well.

I've reloaded Chrono Trigger a bunch of times to test, and it's not giving me an error.
birdybro~
ascopolis

aberu wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:27 pm The Mega Man X2 error you cited is often related to it not passing the anti-piracy check.

I have no problem loading any of those cores. My first fix would be to delete your Main ("/media/fat/MiSTer" for instance). And then delete the SNES_YYYYMMDD.rbf file from _Console directory. Now redownload both from github and put them back in there (make sure rename the latest main release as MiSTer). Test from there.

Just because other cores work fine doesn't mean it's not the MicroSD but I'm inclined to believe it's not your MicroSD as well.

I've reloaded Chrono Trigger a bunch of times to test, and it's not giving me an error.
where I can get the MiSTer file, here?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... r_20210724
ascopolis

Did it, same problem.
aberu
Core Developer

Re: SNES CORE problems with some games.

Unread post by aberu »

Probably a dumb question but have you powered it off completely and powered it back on? (lots of MiSTer users just leave them on all the time)
birdybro~
ascopolis

aberu wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:53 pm Probably a dumb question but have you powered it off completely and powered it back on? (lots of MiSTer users just leave them on all the time)
I did a soft reboot, but I will try now to turn off/On the system, thank you!
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

ascopolis wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:03 pm
aberu wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:53 pm Probably a dumb question but have you powered it off completely and powered it back on? (lots of MiSTer users just leave them on all the time)
I did a soft reboot, but I will try now to turn off/On the system, thank you!
Soft reboots aren't enough usually if cores give you problems. You either have to press and hold on the reboot option in the OSD (which does a full reboot) or you need to power cycle it manually, that should clear most issues.
birdybro~
ascopolis

I had to erase the Micro SD and reinstall everything from scratch, everything is in order, the Core returned to normal. Thanks again everybody!
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Oh, sounds like the linux might have been corrupt then. Glad it all worked out!
birdybro~