Spinner/Paddle not showing up as mouse on SNES core?

mukiex

Spinner/Paddle not showing up as mouse on SNES core?

Unread post by mukiex »

I've got a 32be:1420 paddle. It's the GRS USB Spinner that goes into a 28mm hole but I believe the shortly-lived Atari spinner has the same hardware.

It shows up on MiSTer's input notification as a Spinner/Paddle rather than as a Mouse. Works just fine in both the Arkanoid arcade core and as an Arkanoid VAUS controller for the NES core, but on SNES it doesn't work as a mouse. Is there a workaround for this? I don't know of any other "modes" on the device, beyond changing it to Y-Axis mode by holding the mouse buttons for 10 seconds.

I figured I might be able to do some kind of VID/PID setting for just the SNES core in MiSTer.ini but I'm not sure how to go about starting that.
ellie

Re: Spinner/Paddle not showing up as mouse on SNES core?

Unread post by ellie »

I don’t have a solution but the same problem: I got the same spinner a couple weeks ago to play Cameltry on the SNES and am also having trouble. The Japanese ROM doesn’t respond at all, and the US ROM (“On the Ball”) treats the mouse buttons as if they’re controller buttons while the spinner does nothing. I tried a regular mouse and it played normally, and my mouse worked with Lemmings 2, but my GRS spinner either does nothing, or the mouse buttons act as controller face buttons.
mukiex

Re: Spinner/Paddle not showing up as mouse on SNES core?

Unread post by mukiex »

*sigh* looks like it's basically by design; from the Github issue:
SNES doesn't support paddles at all.
Also, you cannot use this spinner as a mouse because MiSTer recognizes both these spinners and allow them work only as spinners.
edit: A lot of the code between spinners, mice and paddles looks very well organized across SNES, NES, and Arcade cores. I'll see if I can make a fork that implements this. Sorgelig's probably busy enough as it is. Plus I kinda wanna see if I can add the option to put two Spinners on both ports of the NES for Arkanoid 2's Vs. mode.