DOOM Enemy Behavior?

aberu
Core Developer

Re: DOOM Enemy Behavior?

Unread post by aberu »

There has been a new commit from @srg320 to fix the LMULT test rom from PeterLemon not passing. I tested it out and confirmed that the LMULT test works and every single other GSU instruction works, so at least that is put to rest!

However the behavior is the same in DOOM still. So the problem lies somewhere else.
birdybro~
Sarge

Unread post by Sarge »

Bummer. Well, I'm sure as the core gets more accurate, it will all get sorted out. Thanks to everyone that works on these cores!
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

aberu wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:23 pm There has been a new commit from @srg320 to fix the LMULT test rom from PeterLemon not passing. I tested it out and confirmed that the LMULT test works and every single other GSU instruction works, so at least that is put to rest!

However the behavior is the same in DOOM still. So the problem lies somewhere else.
Could it possibly be the rom dump itself?
But i imagine a incorrect rom dump wouldn't load at all let alone show incorrect behaviour?
Sarge

Unread post by Sarge »

A bad ROM dump could certainly cause unintended behavior, but I don't think that's the case here. I'm using a no-intro version on both the MiSTer and SD2SNES, and also tested the same ROM in bsnes just for sanity's sake while getting the checksum.

sha256: d45e26eb10c323ecd480e5f2326b223e29264c3adde67f48f0d2791128e519e8
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

MostroW wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:02 pm
aberu wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:23 pm There has been a new commit from @srg320 to fix the LMULT test rom from PeterLemon not passing. I tested it out and confirmed that the LMULT test works and every single other GSU instruction works, so at least that is put to rest!

Could it possibly be the rom dump itself?
But i imagine a incorrect rom dump wouldn't load at all let alone show incorrect behaviour?
Unlikely to be a bad rom dump as the user who made a video earlier was using the same rom for testing on the mister and testing in the sd2snes
birdybro~
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

Maybe RAM values at startup?
SkinnyV

Unread post by SkinnyV »

I am surprised to see that no one mentioned that the source code of the SNES port of DOOM was released and is available for people to look at . It might help out figuring out the AI enemy behaviour issues on the Mister. The code is available at https://github.com/RandalLinden/DOOM-FX
AtomicShroom

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

It seems the issue has been identified and a tentative fix has been made in the GitHub ticket:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SNES_Mi ... -991713641

Initial reports suggest it works. @John198X can you confirm?
Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

I just did a test with SNES_unstable_20211214_5a9e.rbf and seems to work on my end. Only tested the part from my video.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Yup, it seems to be resolved, I was very happy to see this edge case ironed out! :)
birdybro~
AtomicShroom

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

aberu wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:30 am Yup, it seems to be resolved, I was very happy to see this edge case ironed out! :)
Indeed! Although it makes me a bit worried about what other similar edge cases might exist but have not yet been identified because no one with good knowledge of how these games operate may have played them enough or at all to notice. :?
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

AtomicShroom wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:40 pm
aberu wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:30 am Yup, it seems to be resolved, I was very happy to see this edge case ironed out! :)
Indeed! Although it makes me a bit worried about what other similar edge cases might exist but have not yet been identified because no one with good knowledge of how these games operate may have played them enough or at all to notice. :?
In any case these will be fixed eventually. It´s only a matter of time and patience ;)