Super Mario World Hacks

Ashenshards

Super Mario World Hacks

Unread post by Ashenshards »

Anyone know what it might take to get super mario world 2 around the world to run on MiSTer? At first I thought it must require an emulator, but it apparently runs on the Super NT. Unless he specifically made some changes to make it work - although I don't see anything about it in the jailbreak notes.
I'd be willing to put in the effort to make it work, assuming it can be done.
ExCyber

Re: Super Mario World Hacks

Unread post by ExCyber »

This one?

https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=21541

If so, it seems to work for me. I didn't play very far, but I didn't see anything alarming.

I used a locally compiled binary of Floating IPS 1.31 on Ubuntu 20.04 x86_64 to apply the patch.

I started with a clean, headerless Super Mario World US ROM: 524,288 bytes with MD5 cdd3c8c37322978ca8669b34bc89c804

The patched ROM is 4,194,304 bytes with MD5 ed7c6818269ef84b3ef1332f778843f4
GregoryTerry

Unread post by GregoryTerry »

You're totally right. I just loaded it and played it. I must have had some bad file. I also noticed it was being sold on real / flashed carts for SNES so must work on original hardware too. I probably was trying to run the hack files themselves since it had some different extension than sfc.
GregoryTerry

Unread post by GregoryTerry »

So it was the patch file I was trying to run. I see how that would not have worked.
twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

I don't want to fill the board with odd questions about rom hacks. I don't request/suspect anyone to fix it, as it's non-important. So, I figured I just add to this. Since my question is about a Mario World hack.

Anyway, I'm trying to get Super Kitiku (Brutal) Mario: Part 1 working. It's the Fan Completed version of Brutal Mario. This version does not seem to work on my MiSTer but does work on actual hardware using FX Pak Pro. So, I guess I'm asking if someone was able to figure out how to make it work. Whether that's through a patch I'm not aware of, or some setting adjustments I need to make.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

i wanna say that hack uses MSU-1, which the SD2SNES supports, but not the MiSTer (yet)

https://brutalmario.fandom.com/wiki/Bru ... loads_Page

you could try to download one of the version 7 and under demos that may/may not use MSU-1
twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

PikWik wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:55 am i wanna say that hack uses MSU-1, which the SD2SNES supports, but not the MiSTer (yet)

https://brutalmario.fandom.com/wiki/Bru ... loads_Page

you could try to download one of the version 7 and under demos that may/may not use MSU-1
Thank you for your response. I do have the standard Version 7 up and working. The only one that doesn't work is the "Complete" version.

I want to throw another wrench into this and state that it also works on my friends Super Everdrive X6.