SNAC 6 button support?

Brettster

SNAC 6 button support?

Unread post by Brettster »

Having some issues with this core and using Antonio's MiSTer case with Dsub9pin out and adapter, it only works when SNAC is enabled in the core and
works fine with a 2 button controller but 6 buttons are not seen in street fighter 2 and also none of the auto fire switches work either.

Has anyone else tried this setup and got it to work?
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie

Gryzor

Re: SNAC 6 button support?

Unread post by Gryzor »

I've tried playing SFII CE with the original Mega Drive DB9 controller on Antonio's device and it worked flawlessly, after toggling the controller from 2 Button to 6 Button in the UI of the PC-Engine core (ver. 200618).

- Connect a DB9 Mega Drive controller
- Toggle User I0 Joystick to "DB9MD"
- User I/0 has to remain on "off", so don't pick SNAC.

What kind of adapter did you connect to the DB9 port and which controller are you using?
Easiest way to go about this is to just use the "update all" script and let it grab all the DB9 cores for you.

Brettster

I got the bundle of 5 adapters from Antonio and I'm using the PC Engine adapter and I have about 5 different PC E joypads
Avenue 3, Avenue 6. Core grafx pad and white PC E pad with turbo switches

none of the turbo switches work
all will work as a 2 button pad. when SNAC is enabled, Except the white turbo switched one, which does not work at all, but is fine on real hardware
same for SNES pads in the SNES core, gotta pick SNAC and not db9 in those cores according to Antonio

Oh I'm using the DB9 patched cores too from the update tool

antoniovillena

Unread post by antoniovillena »

Brettster wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:21 pm
I got the bundle of 5 adapters from Antonio and I'm using the PC Engine adapter and I have about 5 different PC E joypads
Avenue 3, Avenue 6. Core grafx pad and white PC E pad with turbo switches

none of the turbo switches work
all will work as a 2 button pad. when SNAC is enabled, Except the white turbo switched one, which does not work at all, but is fine on real hardware
same for SNES pads in the SNES core, gotta pick SNAC and not db9 in those cores according to Antonio

Oh I'm using the DB9 patched cores too from the update tool
Hi Brettster

I have sent a one port adapter like in the picture. It's for discard hardware problems
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brettster

Thanks Antonio, I'll let you know how it goes :)

Gryzor

Unread post by Gryzor »

Brettster wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:21 pm
all will work as a 2 button pad. when SNAC is enabled
Hm, odd... my version of Antonio's MiSTer doesn't recognize an original Mega Drive controller at all, if SNAC is selected, not even in the Mega Drive core. Only I/0 DB9 option works here, but that does the trick for every single core.

I'm fine with that though, cause I didn't like the original PC-Engine controllers anyway, except maybe for Bomberman.
A Mega Drive controller PCB in a Namco Arcade stick for all cores is my jam ^^

Brettster

SNAC setting is only for the SNES and PC Engine/Turbografx core when using the adapter and original controllers for those systems
everything else is DB9
I tried SFII Champ with a 6 buttons Japanese MD pad and it plays gloriously in DB9 mode. but I'm still a big fan of the PC E pads :)

Brettster

Update on this, I tried the new adapter from Antonio and it's still not working with 6 buttons or the turbo fire buttons. has anyone tried a 6 button PC Engine pad or an original turbpad with this core?

dshadoff

Unread post by dshadoff »

I have it working, but not with Antonio's hardware (or even the standard SNAC board) because open-collector logic is not suitable for these controllers.
https://github.com/dshadoff/MiSTer_PCE-SNAC