Converting CDD/IMG Disk Images to CUE/BIN

Goingdown

Converting CDD/IMG Disk Images to CUE/BIN

Unread post by Goingdown »

Does anyone know how to convert CDD/IMG (Clonecd images) to CUE/BIN format so that they can be used with Turbografx CD?

I have several games in CDD/IMG format, and so far I haven't found out way to run them on this core. Any help would be appreciated.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Converting CDD/IMG Disk Images to CUE/BIN

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Goingdown wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:38 pm Does anyone know how to convert CDD/IMG (Clonecd images) to CUE/BIN format so that they can be used with Turbografx CD?

I have several games in CDD/IMG format, and so far I haven't found out way to run them on this core. Any help would be appreciated.
Mount the image with Daemon tools and then use imgburn to create a .cue/.bin image from the image in the Daemon Tools drive.
mmmonkey

Unread post by mmmonkey »

I've seen a few people recommend CDMage for conversion between different disc image formats too.
zomgugoff

Unread post by zomgugoff »

Chris23235 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:47 pm Mount the image with Daemon tools and then use imgburn to create a .cue/.bin image from the image in the Daemon Tools drive.
This doesn't always work. I had a particularly stubborn image (Valis) that could not be read without errors. I ended up finding a version with is in multi-bin/cue format already.
amerika

Unread post by amerika »

In some situations i've burned a copy of the game to CD, made sure that it actually works in a console (good if you can) and then used ImgBurn to rip an image from that CD. That has gotten me around quite a few games that had issues with Daemon tools/imgburn or other utilities not working.
gojira54

Unread post by gojira54 »

Mount the image you want to convert in daemon tools and then use turborip
https://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=69.0
This works
Reverend Crush

Unread post by Reverend Crush »

gojira54 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:42 pm Mount the image you want to convert in daemon tools and then use turborip
This works
Just tried this with an .iso file of Hi-Leg Fantasy (yeah I know...), and it just spat out another .iso with .wav files and a .cue. What's the best way to convert this into .bins?
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

I use the Daemon tools/ Img Burn method.
But to note, no process is going to work if you happent o have a bad rip/iso.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

Reverend Crush wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:13 pm
gojira54 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:42 pm Mount the image you want to convert in daemon tools and then use turborip
This works
Just tried this with an .iso file of Hi-Leg Fantasy (yeah I know...), and it just spat out another .iso with .wav files and a .cue. What's the best way to convert this into .bins?
Why would you need .bins ?
MiSTer uses the format you have in hand.
Reverend Crush

dshadoff wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:25 pm
This works
I thought it HAD to be .bin/.cue. Anyways, I actually tried it in the .iso/.wav/.cue format and got a Load Error, so I have no idea what's up.
gojira54

Unread post by gojira54 »

Are you using the games express bios to load hi leg? It won't run with the official Hudson bios
Reverend Crush

gojira54 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:56 pm Are you using the games express bios to load hi leg? It won't run with the official Hudson bios
Well this is how much of a PCE newbie I am; I wasn't even aware Game Express had a custom bios card for their games.

That was the issue. It's working now, thanks Gojira!
elJonnyRage

Unread post by elJonnyRage »

The easiest thing to do would be to create an Archive.org account and search for the Turbografx CD Redump. Everything is good quality and ready to go already.
Mr^O^BIG

Unread post by Mr^O^BIG »

Get the bios 3.0, may be your game img is corrupted, get one from archive.Org (redump)
Ps:no need account for getting files from archive.Org, I think it's for uploading

Mr BIG
Kreeblah

Unread post by Kreeblah »

Reverend Crush wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:46 pm
dshadoff wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:25 pm

I thought it HAD to be .bin/.cue. Anyways, I actually tried it in the .iso/.wav/.cue format and got a Load Error, so I have no idea what's up.
Images can be .bin/.cue (with a single .bin file or one .bin file per track) or .iso/.wav/.cue. I'm not sure why that's not called out in the readme.
Armourdillo

Unread post by Armourdillo »

I have re-ripped all my CD’s with Turborip. It’s rips to .iso/.wav/.cue files.

Works with Windows 10 also.
keith.f.kelly

Unread post by keith.f.kelly »

zomgugoff wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:32 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:47 pm Mount the image with Daemon tools and then use imgburn to create a .cue/.bin image from the image in the Daemon Tools drive.
This doesn't always work. I had a particularly stubborn image (Valis) that could not be read without errors. I ended up finding a version with is in multi-bin/cue format already.
That approach has always worked for me. The only time it didn’t was when the ISO/rip I was trying to convert was simply bad. I’ve converted all CD-ROM games for TurboGrafx16 and SegaCD using the Daemon Tools + ImgBurn approach. The only trick is you have to remember to launch ImgBurn elevated (aka “As Administrator”).
dshadoff
Core Developer

The PC Engine games are pretty sensitive to timing, so TurboRip was written specifically to ensure that reassembly into an image would match original timing, and a table-of-contents database constructed by hand from all discs.

If you are playing and hear a half-second of a new song as another song ends, or a brief noise (from another track) at the start of a song, or if the song plays from a point that doesn't seem to be the correct starting point for the song.... then you have a rip that didn't match on timings. This was extremely common before TurboRip.
Goingdown

Unread post by Goingdown »

Thank you guys, all is sorted now
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

I've had good luck with a program called CDmage. I was able to convert several wav/cue PCE-CD files over to bin-CUE. All I had to do was load the CUE for the WAV/CUE rips, then file-save as BIN/CUE. Worked like a charm, and no complicated steps to follow.
Reverend Crush

dshadoff wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:36 am The PC Engine games are pretty sensitive to timing, so TurboRip was written specifically to ensure that reassembly into an image would match original timing, and a table-of-contents database constructed by hand from all discs.
Is this why a patched version of Ys IV won't convert properly with TurboRip, or should that matter?
dshadoff
Core Developer

Reverend Crush wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:48 pm
dshadoff wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:36 am The PC Engine games are pretty sensitive to timing, so TurboRip was written specifically to ensure that reassembly into an image would match original timing, and a table-of-contents database constructed by hand from all discs.
Is this why a patched version of Ys IV won't convert properly with TurboRip, or should that matter?
Since the same guy created both TurboRip and the Ys IV patch, this is hard to believe.

Are you taking an already-patched Ys IV (that you didn't create yourself), and trying to use TurboRip on it ?
-> If so, I'd have to assume that the patched version was not reassembled properly.
Reverend Crush

dshadoff wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:44 pm
Reverend Crush wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:48 pm
Since the same guy created both TurboRip and the Ys IV patch, this is hard to believe.

Are you taking an already-patched Ys IV (that you didn't create yourself), and trying to use TurboRip on it ?
-> If so, I'd have to assume that the patched version was not reassembled properly.
I took one that was on archive (NOT in the redump set, it was standalone) already pre-patched, so you're probably right. I'll try patching it myself.