Reducing CDDA Volume

The Opponent

Reducing CDDA Volume

Unread post by The Opponent »

Compared to software emulators, it feels like the volume of CD audio in the TurboGrafx-CD core is much too loud and drowns out the PSG sound. Is it possible to control either the audio levels of the PSG or CD to balance them?
ioev

Re: Reducing CDDA Volume

Unread post by ioev »

I found the overall volume of the PC engine core became much lower than any of the other cores since the CD support was added, but I haven't noticed any balance issues. Having individual audio level controls like you suggested would be really nice.
The Opponent

Unread post by The Opponent »

I was hoping that CDDA boost feature in the new version would allow the volume to go lower and not just multiplied by 4.
Kitrinx
Core Developer

Unread post by Kitrinx »

DA__ALL_A-PCEW_72406235_F8XD-ndp_vs_mister20.png
DA__ALL_A-PCEW_72406235_F8XD-ndp_vs_mister20.png (171.65 KiB) Viewed 4688 times
Fortunately we have tools now to make sure the volume balances are perfect. As you can see, the CDDA, ADPCM, and PSG all match the original white PCE + super cdrom more or less exactly. The supergrafx levels are more or less the same. Duo2 has even louder cdda. So, I suggest you use better emulators in the future :)
bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

Rysha, those are for CDDA and Master boost options in the off position?
Kitrinx
Core Developer

Unread post by Kitrinx »

bootsector wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:55 pm Rysha, those are for CDDA and Master boost options in the off position?
Yes, that is the default. CDDA will boost the CDDA (dur) and the 2x and 4x options will increase the overall volume with the same balance, using a compressor to prevent clipping.
bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

Kitrinx wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:57 pm
bootsector wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:55 pm Rysha, those are for CDDA and Master boost options in the off position?
Yes, that is the default. CDDA will boost the CDDA (dur) and the 2x and 4x options will increase the overall volume with the same balance, using a compressor to prevent clipping.
Pure awesomeness, as usual! Thanks!
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

Just so I'm clear, if my goal is accuracy with original hardware I should NOT enable boost. Is this correct?
Kitrinx
Core Developer

Unread post by Kitrinx »

mario64 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:20 pm Just so I'm clear, if my goal is accuracy with original hardware I should NOT enable boost. Is this correct?
Right, if you don't enable cdda boost, you'll have the balance just like it was on a white pce/supergrafx. If you enable boost it's a bit like a Duo-R. The 2x/4x boosts will also have the original balance, but with the overall loudness enhanced.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

Kitrinx wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:46 pm
mario64 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:20 pm Just so I'm clear, if my goal is accuracy with original hardware I should NOT enable boost. Is this correct?
Right, if you don't enable cdda boost, you'll have the balance just like it was on a white pce/supergrafx. If you enable boost it's a bit like a Duo-R. The 2x/4x boosts will also have the original balance, but with the overall loudness enhanced.
Excellent thank you :)