CD ROM ROMs requires RAM?

C-R-T

CD ROM ROMs requires RAM?

Unread post by C-R-T »

Hi guys!

When I try to play CD ROM ROM games on my RAM less Mister, it doesn't quite work. It loads the CD bios and asks me to push RUN button, and when I do, it just says loading and nothing else happens (I tried leaving it on for very long and no dice). The thing doesn't crash (I can bring up the OSD).

Hu card games work just fine.
Mr^O^BIG

Re: CD ROM ROMs requires RAM?

Unread post by Mr^O^BIG »

Hi, what game???

Mr BIG
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Nobody knows? Who made the core?

The game is Ys IV The Dawn of Ys.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

They shouldn't require ram.

Is everything up to date on your mister? Where did you get your cd rom images?
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

Since 99% of users have the SDRAM, it may not be well-known.
HuCards can be played without SDRAM (although compatibility is not guaranteed, due to occasional latency), but CDROM data might go into SDRAM (not sure).
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

The Mister is totally updated with the update all script. I used the following archive link: details/56069-front for the game. It works on a real PC engine duo r. I followed the instructions on the github readme:

" CD-ROM images must be in BIN/CUE format, and must be located in the TGFX16-CD folder. Each CD-ROM image must have its own folder. cd_bios.rom must be placed in the same TGFX16-CD folder as the images mentioned above. "
zakk4223

I pulled my sdram before posting that, the game they are referencing certainly works (at least beyond the point they are having issues) without it.

All versions I have of that game work (rev 3 and rev 4, and some patched translated versions in redump supplement all bin/cue and chd)

Anyways, I'll know more in about...20 minutes
zakk4223

That exact image works absolutely fine for me.

How did you transfer it to the mister? You didn't happen to use something like filezilla to ftp it, did you?
HamSolo

Unread post by HamSolo »

If your trying to run the game from USB and it’s formatted NTFS, ensure the info inside the .cue is exactly as the .bin/.iso/.BIN/.ISO etc as NTFS is case sensitive, I also had this problem with my games hanging on the push run screen, hope this helps.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

zakk4223 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:09 pm That exact image works absolutely fine for me.

How did you transfer it to the mister? You didn't happen to use something like filezilla to ftp it, did you?
I did, yeah. I take it that’s a bad thing, then? What other ways would you recommend?

Thanks for bearing with me. :)
zakk4223

Filezilla defaults to transfering files in 'ASCII' mode, which will mangle the data files to the point they aren't usable.

You need to put Filezilla in binary mode; this looks like it might be how to do it.
http://docs.inboundnow.com/guide/set-fi ... nary-mode/
Shuffle7

Unread post by Shuffle7 »

I noticed that some games need to have the 128mb .(think it’s that size on the mister core menu) setting turned on to work
J3RK

Unread post by J3RK »

I'm curious if this was determined to be the image, or if some PCCDs actually need SDRAM. It sounds from the last few posts that it's not, however the last post about some games requiring 128MB means any RAM or SDRAM specifically.

The reason I'm curious is that I'm building a second MiSTer that's going to be solely for PC Engine and PCCD use. I have a couple of spare 32MB SDRAM cards, and while I wasn't initially going to put one in, I may now. However, I'd rather not bother if something is going to need a 128MB module. If so, I'll just buy a new 128MB module, and skip messing around with none or 32MB.

Any thoughts on that would be great! Thanks!
zakk4223

From the README for the core:

"This core may work without SDRAM (using on-board DDR3), but it may have different kinds of issues/glitches due to high latency of DDR3 memory. Thus SDRAM module is highly recommended for maximum accuracy."
J3RK

Unread post by J3RK »

Thanks! I haven't read the readme for probably a year now (since close to when I originally set mine up). I should do that once in a while. :)