Audio sync problems with CD-ROM games [Solved]

vanfanel

Audio sync problems with CD-ROM games [Solved]

Unread post by vanfanel »

Hello there!

I was testing some PCE CD games today, using latest core version and japanese Super CD-ROM BIOS 3.0 for compatibility, as stated on the README.

Thing is, many of them seem to have CD AUDIO synchronization issues:

-In R-Type Complete CD, intro voices are desynchronized with lip movement. Also, in the continue counddown screen, there is like 1-second of audio from another track being played before the continue music starts playing, and the continue music ends too soon by 1-second.

-In YS Book I & II (USA) there are audio dropouts during the intro, and CD music tracks are not looped: if you exit the first village into the wilderness, you will hear that the music is played once, and never repeats. Same happens as you enter the first shrine.

Since there seems to have many of these problems I was wondering: could it be my dumps? Or maybe its just the core not being perfect on the CD audio side of things?
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Re: Audio sync problems with CD-ROM games

Unread post by Sorgelig »

1) There are many bad dumps of PCE CD games.
2) you might not update to latest versions of Core and/or Main.
3) Make sure CD seek option is set to "Normal".

Overall test by users who know PCE CD very well and owning original HW shown high precision of lip sync in games.
LeftEmpty

Unread post by LeftEmpty »

For your R-TYpe Complete CD sound issues, this was typically the problem of games dumped before more refined dumping methods came along.

As a general rule, though, I'd like to say that excepting for a few titles (Mugensenshi Valis, Ranma 1/2 Dato, ganso musabetsukakuto-ryu...) lips moves were very roughly synched with the voices. This isn't specifically a PC Engine issue, but more of a cultural thing: dubbing in Japan in general has always been much more laxed in regard to mouth moves compared to what you can expect in some other countries.
vanfanel

Unread post by vanfanel »

@sorgelig: Thanks for taking the time to answer to this. It was my fault: Main MiSTer executable wasn't updated, and new options in the core menu weren't being shown.
Now, with current MiSTer executable, everything is working perfectly well.
I will leave the thread here as a reminder for others who may find the same problems.
BryCix

Unread post by BryCix »

thanks.
The module is snddaudio0
I loaded it with
modprobe snddaudio0Copy the Code

but after when I try
dmesgCopy the Code
it show
I2Ssnddaudio cannot find any using configuration for controllers, return directlyCopy the Code