Would a Super Game Boy core/function be possible?

retrorepair

Re: Would a Super Game Boy core/function be possible?

Unread post by retrorepair »

jlancaster86 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:54 am Is it really even appropriate for SGB functionality to be in the Game Boy core long-term? I know it's typical of Game Boy emulators to have it, but wouldn't it be be more accurate for the SGB functionality to be moved to the SNES core instead? After all, the Super Game Boy is really an add-on for the SNES (like the BS-X), and not a true Game Boy.
Totally agree with this. True SGB support in the gameboy core would mean moving the SNES core over to it which would make it much bigger than it needed to be.

Moving the gameboy core (or parts of it) to the SNES core makes much more sense.
the_muteKi

Unread post by the_muteKi »

I think the big problem with the SNES core is that it's close to full with all the other various mappers and hardware extensions.

I would be interested in a core that forked off the SNES core with the sole purpose of implementing super game boy stuff with proper accuracy, though. I think it's fine if it's separate from this which I think of as more of a GBC / Game Boy Player sort of core.
jrronimo

Unread post by jrronimo »

the_muteKi wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:36 pm I think the big problem with the SNES core is that it's close to full with all the other various mappers and hardware extensions.

I would be interested in a core that forked off the SNES core with the sole purpose of implementing super game boy stuff with proper accuracy, though. I think it's fine if it's separate from this which I think of as more of a GBC / Game Boy Player sort of core.
For what it's worth, I totally agree with this approach. While it logically makes sense for SGB/SGB2 functionality to be a part of the SNES core, if it's so full then setting it up as a separate core only for GBC/GB games makes all the sense in the world.

Now we just have to find someone to make the core! :lol: