No Sound via HDMI

WellingtonSears

No Sound via HDMI

Unread post by WellingtonSears »

Hi guys, I feel like I've plastered this question in too many places but I have yet to find an answer. I'm new to MiSTer and everything works okay except my Gameboy core has no sound. I have the proper ini file in the sd root, and have adjusted several settings to no avail.

I have changed the audio to 48 kHz, vsync_adjust is 0 but I have tried 1 and 2 as well. I have my nano running hdmi through to my 75 hz sceptre monitor via hdmi. I've tried switching ports, cables and using internal speakers. I feel like I've messed with every setting in the osd of the core as well, still nothing.

The kicker is that it works well on my Insignia TV but that's not really practical as it's not part of my setup and others use it more often so I'm kinda just stuck with what I have. I've been told to get an hdmi extractor but I really don't feel like investing into any device when literally the only thing that doesn't work is the sound in that core.

Anyone else have this issue? I had a friend who sent in a bug report so we'll see what the dev says but in the meantime, I thought I'd check with the community.
paisleyboxers

Re: No Sound via HDMI

Unread post by paisleyboxers »

3 notions:

1. Are you using an HDMI switch - Or going directly in?

2. Do you have an IO board? If so can you test audio through the toslink/3.5mm jack?

3. Can you post your non commented sections of your ini file here?
WellingtonSears

Thank you for the response! It's going in via a splitter, though I have tried it directly, I also don't have an io board. I will post a screen cap of the ini once I am back on my pc in a bit.
paisleyboxers

If you have Putty installed (os an ssh client, just ssh in ( username=root password=1 ) and type

Code: Select all

sed /\;/d /media/fat/MiSTer.ini
^^ That prints out a Mister Ini without comments to save space.
w00tazn

Unread post by w00tazn »

Do you get audio in the arcade cores? You might be running into a known issue that noone has worked to resolve. Some monitors require an audio signal to wake up and process audio as they have some non-standard audio sensing logic going on. The Asus PB278Q does for sure and the Elgato HD60 also suffers from the same issue.

I've been running a script that someone kindly developed that will play a wav file using the ALSA system in linux and that will allow the core to wake up and have audio again.-- I've since modified the script to play a "silent" audio file on a loop and have set it up so it can run indefinitely. It's pretty ghetto tho.
sajattack
Core Developer

Unread post by sajattack »

Some TVs lose sync on the hdmi audio. I have this problem too. Best to use optical or analog 3.5mm on I/O board.
WellingtonSears

Why would it happen to the Gameboy core and no where else? I might try an HDMI extractor first since its a bit more affordable
sajattack
Core Developer

Unread post by sajattack »

It happens for me when sync changes too much. Maybe set the sync option on gameboy core if you haven't already.
paisleyboxers

>> WellingtonSears

Without getting too deep into the woods without looking at your ini file, try just commenting out the gameboy hdmi settings and seeing if that establishes your baseline.
fatterdude2000

Unread post by fatterdude2000 »

w00tazn wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:35 pm I've been running a script that someone kindly developed that will play a wav file using the ALSA system in linux and that will allow the core to wake up and have audio...
Please can you share the script and provide more info. I don’t get sound from a few arcade cores (eg Donkey Kong) from my asus monitor. Would be great to have a solution.
slaps

Unread post by slaps »

I have the same issue of no sound over hdmi with Gameboy and some older arcade roms, but only when connected to my Benq 1080p 144hz LCD monitor. It works perfectly without changing any settings on my LG OLED B7 TV.

Seems some display devices just don’t like something in the old mono signal from those cores, so my solution is to run toslink audio from my Digital IO board to the speakers when using the Benq monitor.

Would be nice to have a core function to force audio over hdmi but what I have working is fine.
WellingtonSears

Heres what my ini file looks like

[MiSTer]
key_menu_as_rgui=0 ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0 ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0 ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=0 ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0 ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0 ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002 ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
vscale_mode=1 ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.

vscale_border=0 ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-399)

rbf_hide_datecode=0 ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle
menu_pal=0 ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
hdmi_limited=0 ; 1 - use limited (16..235) color range over HDMI
; 2 - use limited (16..255) color range over HDMI, for VGA converters.
direct_video=0 ; 1 - enable core video timing over HDMI, use only with VGA converters.
fb_size=0 ; 0 - automatic, 1 - full size, 2 - 1/2 of resolution, 4 - 1/4 of resolution.
fb_terminal=1 ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
osd_timeout=30 ; 5-3600 timeout (in seconds) for OSD to disappear in Menu core. 30 seconds if not set.
; Background picture will get darker after double timeoutosd_rotate=0 ; Display OSD menu rotated, 0 - no rotation, 1 - rotate right (+90°), 2 - rotate left (-90°)
recents=0
bootcore_timeout=10 ; 10-30 timeout before autoboot, comment for autoboot without timeout.
font=font/myfont.pf
reset_combo=0
dvi_mode=0 ; set to 1 for DVI mode. Audio won't be transmitted through HDMI in DVI mode.
video_mode=0
video_info=10
vsync_adjust=0
refresh_min=0
refresh_max=0
controller_info=6
jammasd_vid=0x04D8
jammasd_pid=0xF3AD
sniper_mode=0

[Gameboy]
hdmi_audio_96k=0

I dont know if theres a more efficient or cleaner way to post these options but this is basically what I have setup.
w00tazn

Unread post by w00tazn »

I've attached the original script that someone else kindly shared on the old atari forums: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1&p=365509

He set it up so that you drop these files in to the scripts folder and then run the elgato_fixer script then go boot a problematic core.
After a delay you should hear some beeps from the sine.wav and the audio should return.

I've since tinkered a little bit and modified the wav to be inaudible and changed the loop to run indefinitely and made it so the linux OS running on mister would execute it on boot and it seems to work out okay.

Something about certain cores like gameboy/arcade/appleiie etc will cause the hdmi audio to mute since they don't have any "active" signal going through at boot up. Any ALSA audio, even something like -99db will wake it up. Not sure why audio from the cores themselves wont wake it.
Attachments
elgato_fixer.zip
(6.32 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
Dr_Dave

Unread post by Dr_Dave »

w00tazn wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:35 pm Do you get audio in the arcade cores? You might be running into a known issue that noone has worked to resolve. Some monitors require an audio signal to wake up and process audio as they have some non-standard audio sensing logic going on. The Asus PB278Q does for sure and the Elgato HD60 also suffers from the same issue.

I've been running a script that someone kindly developed that will play a wav file using the ALSA system in linux and that will allow the core to wake up and have audio again.-- I've since modified the script to play a "silent" audio file on a loop and have set it up so it can run indefinitely. It's pretty ghetto tho.
Man, I thought I'd been going mad! I had this exact this on my Philips 243V7QDAB monitor - all other core sound worked fine, arcade didn't play sound. It also happened on the Spectrum Next and my Retron 77 device. Everything else, fine.

In the end I bought an HDMI audio extractor and ran the speakers off that (since I was feeding an HDMI switch as well, so couldn't just take the 3.5mm out of the MiSTer).
fatterdude2000

Unread post by fatterdude2000 »

Thanks for the script w00tazn. Works ! (for my setup I had to edit the files to point to Scripts rather than #Scripts)
LactobacillusPrime

Unread post by LactobacillusPrime »

I have this happen when I connect the MiST through an ELGATO HD60S, in some cores the sound just won't capture on the Elgato. Other cores are fine. I reckon it's a sync issue. Going to try the Elgato fixer script.
LactobacillusPrime aka Mark V.
FPGAs owned: MiSTer (4x), MiST (1x), Turbo Chameleon 64 v1 & v2, Ultimate64
YouTube , Facebook, Twitter
cheapergamer

Unread post by cheapergamer »

Oh! I need to try this out with my Elgato. Thanks a bunch all!
WellingtonSears

The script works! In each sh file I have to change "#scripts" to "scripts", just in case anyone else can't get it to work at first. I execute the fixer script and there's a weird beep every few seconds before loading a game but it Works! Thank you so much dude. This should hold me over til there's an official fix, which hopefully there is some day.
paisleyboxers

As a hardware solution, I have an Monoprice 4k switcher with TOSLink out for hdmi devices that don't have toslink outputs on them.

For the Mister I'm of course using the IO board with toslink out, sort of skirting the need to have HDMI in my monitor process any audio at all.

Not to just throw money at the problems of course, but separating the audio signal out is a HUGE help.
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Can you try this core version to see if sound is working?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SMz-4e ... sp=sharing
WellingtonSears

paulbnl wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:24 am Can you try this core version to see if sound is working?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SMz-4e ... sp=sharing
It does! That's cool, how did you make it produce sound? Thank you and everyone else for your efforts, its really saving me and many others from having to buy extra equipment to circumvent this issue.
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

I added the high pass filter from the NES core which fixed the same issue for the NES core back then.

The audio waveform also appears to be centered better with the filter.
slaps

Unread post by slaps »

Thanks for looking into this! I really wish that there was a simple way in the ini settings to do this for all the arcade cores that seemingly have the same issue.
w00tazn

Unread post by w00tazn »

paulbnl wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:20 pm I added the high pass filter from the NES core which fixed the same issue for the NES core back then.

The audio waveform also appears to be centered better with the filter.
Would it be possible for you to post the diff you made to the core's code or link to the original commit?

I'm curious if this could also be applied to the other problematic cores and then be rolled back into main with PRs.
Also curious why the high pass filter isn't universal?
keith.f.kelly

Unread post by keith.f.kelly »

This could be related to the issue I described in my “Advice for HDMI users” post in the Display Devices section.
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

w00tazn wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:02 am Would it be possible for you to post the diff you made to the core's code or link to the original commit?

I'm curious if this could also be applied to the other problematic cores and then be rolled back into main with PRs.
Also curious why the high pass filter isn't universal?
Here is the commit: https://github.com/paulb-nl/Gameboy_MiS ... 01ff2e17c8

I just copied the code from the NES core and kept the CE at about 200khz. I think it would be good if there was a high pass filter in the framework so it would be applied to every core.