Cannot Load Any ROMs

genjurro

Cannot Load Any ROMs

Unread post by genjurro »

Hi,

I'm struggling to get the core working: I don't manage to load any NeoGeo roms.
I just got empty directories when browsing.

I followed the guide on wiki:
- created a Neogeo directory on root filesystem
- put inside bios required files:
uni-bios.rom
000-lo.lo
sfix.sfix

- put inside romsets.xml from github: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_ ... omsets.xml
- downloaded Darksoft at archive.org which contains games directories with the following files per directory: crom0, fpga, m1rom, prom, srom, vroma0
- Put all these game directories inside Neogeo directory
- change to unibios in core settings

any idea on what i've missed ?
Can't wait to try these neogeo games with lag-free experience :)

Thanks !
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: Cannot Load Any ROMs

Unread post by bazza_12 »

has the uni-bios loaded? check with f12, it should say 'Bios - Uni-bios'
what happens when you try to load a rom? does it say directory not found? does it list the roms in the folder?
might be worth adding sp-s2.sp1 (MVS) & neo-epo.sp1 (AES) to your neogeo directory?
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
genjurro

I've added both sp-s2.sp1 (MVS) & neo-epo.sp1 (AES) to neogeo directory. No change
when i click on 'Open a ROM set *.*' , i'm landing into neogeo directory that is listing all games directories but when i enter each of them, the core is not seeing any files inside.
genjurro

Hi bazza_12,

well black screen when hitting F12. No 'Bios - Uni bios'.
Seems Bios is not loaded ?
how can i load it ?

i don't have such issue with other Bios (MegaCd, PcEngine-CD,...).
Just dropping the good Bios file in games/MegaCd directory and then core loads it automatically.
genjurro

managed to solve it somehow !

I removed neogeo folder on the root and just kept neogeo folder inside /games.
Also i've removed .rbf core file from SD card and redownload it. I've seen that it has downloaded a new romsets.xml file in games/Neogeo folder.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

nice one, glad you have it sorted..
genjurro

thanks man.
this thing was driving me crazy :)
Paik4Life

Unread post by Paik4Life »

EDIT: Nevermind, it was the ROM pack that was incompatible

Instead of starting another thread I thought I'd jump on this one. I also have troubles with my Neo Geo setup.

This is what my games/NeoGeo folder look like:
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 4.53.57 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 4.53.57 PM.jpg (248.63 KiB) Viewed 11788 times

I got the uni-bios from here: http://unibios.free.fr/download.html

The ROMs I had to get from archive.org since the Darksoft one is missing (so this may be the problem?) They are the NeoGeoRomCollectionByGhostware

I unzipped the ROM.

When I try to load with any combination of Console/Arcade and Original or Uni BIOS I typically get a black or white screen.

Any thought? Thanks!

~Paik
CeeDeeVee

Unread post by CeeDeeVee »

Same here, ghostware roms, universe bios, all the other required files from inside neogeo.zip (everything has been unzipped). The F12 screen shows the bios and all the games (rather than folders, as happened with some other roms). I've tried every combination of MVS/AES/NTSC/PAL/uni-bios/original (8 combinations) and the best I get is the crosshatch test screen (which then cycles through color tests, joystick test and memorycard test, all of which are fine) but can't progress to run the actual game. Anyone have a link to files that work (ANY single game just to test). I've updated the MiSTer and done the check of the 128MB memory module, successfully.
Yorkshire fella, living in California, where no one understands a word I say unless it's a quote from Game of Thrones.
I do music, code and burn myself with soldering irons. Part dog, part wolf, all coffee addict.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Paik4Life wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:58 pm The ROMs I had to get from archive.org since the Darksoft one is missing (so this may be the problem?) They are the NeoGeoRomCollectionByGhostware
The Darksoft pack is still there.
CeeDeeVee

bazza_12 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:20 am
Paik4Life wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:58 pm The ROMs I had to get from archive.org since the Darksoft one is missing (so this may be the problem?) They are the NeoGeoRomCollectionByGhostware
The Darksoft pack is still there.
Thanks for pointing this out, it had gone for a while. All working here, now! So glad, I got an AES to relive my misspent youth in the top deck of Prinny-Quey :lol: , but the AES died on me.
Yorkshire fella, living in California, where no one understands a word I say unless it's a quote from Game of Thrones.
I do music, code and burn myself with soldering irons. Part dog, part wolf, all coffee addict.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

So glad, I got an AES to relive my misspent youth in the top deck of Prinny-Quey :lol:
i didn't know there was an arcade up there? was that in the 90's? I only remember jeans shops, a chippy/cafe and a computer shop. i remember the arcade which used to be next to the star pub.. opposite telephone house..
CeeDeeVee

bazza_12 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:23 pm
i didn't know there was an arcade up there? was that in the 90's? I only remember jeans shops, a chippy/cafe and a computer shop. i remember the arcade which used to be next to the star pub.. opposite telephone house..
Yeah, early 90's. They had some SNK MVS, Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, and Maddog McCree. Loads of kids crammed in around MK when it first launched in disbelief, even as a kid I realised it smelled pretty bad in there :lol:
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

I have the Finalburn Neo complete set but the neogeo core doesn't run any game

I get white screen all the time. The neogeo.zip and the mslug3.zip are inside games/neogeo folder

any help?

Edit: it was missing some files inside the neogeo folder for the bios, even after I used the update all script. It is working now.