Issues Migrating ROMs to HDD [Solved]

darksakul

Issues Migrating ROMs to HDD [Solved]

Unread post by darksakul »

So I tried to mirage all my roms from the SD card over to a Hard drive, I am using a 2.5" laptop Western Digital 2TB drive.
The issue is when I start the Neo Geo core up, it refuses to detect the Neo geo Rom folder.
I tried the rom folder in both /games and on the root.

And yes you can say I deleted the folder when I copied everything from the SD card to the HDD, I made a new (smaller) SD card.
I also have the same issue with the Atari 5200 core (but their roms are small, so I don't mind them being on the SD card).
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Issues migrating roms to HDD

Unread post by Chris23235 »

I have the same issue, other cores run fine from my HDD, but Neogeo won't.
Threepwood

Unread post by Threepwood »

Loading off an exernal USB source behaves slightly different for whatever reason. Some folders need to be all uppercase, thus:

In the root of your HDD you need a games-folder. Inside the games-folder you need to have folders NEOGEO and ATARI5200 (both uppercase) with the ROMs inside. Wait a couple of seconds after you plugged in the HDD so it is recognised before you load the core. If it is not present when the core is loaded MiSTer will load ROMs of the internal SD. Simply load the core again in that case.

There are more cores, like GAMEBOY, ATARI2600, ATARI7800, MACPLUS, the acronym folders (SNES, SMS ...) and maybe others where the folder names need to be uppercase.
kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

Do you also need the same folders on the SDCard as well or just the external HDD? So if I want to move all NEOGEO ROMS to external hdd do I need to have games/NEOGEO or just on the hdd iteself?
Threepwood

kubbie wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:13 am Do you also need the same folders on the SDCard as well or just the external HDD? So if I want to move all NEOGEO ROMS to external hdd do I need to have games/NEOGEO or just on the hdd iteself?
I have not tried that, but I doubt you need them. On the SD Card the folder does not need to be uppercase, by the way (mine is "NeoGeo").
kikaso

Unread post by kikaso »

I was having this issue to when I first moved to an external HDD.

Make sure there's a a folder for Neo Geo on the root of your HDD. I don't think it's case sensitive but my folder is named "NeoGeo". In that folder on your HDD, be sure it has all of the BIOS files including romsets.xml.

- 000-lo.lo
- sfix.sfix
- sp-s2.sp1 (MVS)
- neo-epo.sp1 (AES)
- uni-bios.rom

I had this same problem moving the GameBoy Core files to the HDD. In that case you have to make sure you move over all of the pallette files along with your ROMs to the same folder on your HDD.
Threepwood

kikaso wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:45 pmMake sure there's a a folder for Neo Geo on the root of your HDD. I don't think it's case sensitive but my folder is named "NeoGeo".
The NeoGeo folder can be a subfolder of games (/games/NEOGEO) or can be directly in the root, but on NTFS it needs to be uppercase in any case. Maybe that is different on FAT32 or other file systems.

kikaso wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:45 pm In that folder on your HDD, be sure it has all of the BIOS files including romsets.xml.
They are migrating the folders from an SD, thus that these files are in place is a given considering that it works from SD.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Threepwood wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:54 am Loading off an exernal USB source behaves slightly different for whatever reason. Some folders need to be all uppercase, thus:

In the root of your HDD you need a games-folder. Inside the games-folder you need to have folders NEOGEO and ATARI5200 (both uppercase) with the ROMs inside. Wait a couple of seconds after you plugged in the HDD so it is recognised before you load the core. If it is not present when the core is loaded MiSTer will load ROMs of the internal SD. Simply load the core again in that case.

There are more cores, like GAMEBOY, ATARI2600, ATARI7800, MACPLUS, the acronym folders (SNES, SMS ...) and maybe others where the folder names need to be uppercase.
It turned out it was this was the case, I changed the folder names to be all UPPER CASE and it worked.
Apparently, on a HDD at least a NTFS formatted hard drive the MiSTer is case sensitive.
Thank you very much.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

It seems I am doing something wrong, with an folder called "NEOGEO" as a subfolder of "games" on my HDD, the core goes to the cross hatch test screen after loading a game.
The Bios files are in the folder "games/NEOGEO" and the folder "NEOGEO" is an exact copy of the folder "NeoGeo" on my SDCard. From the SDCard the games load fine. Has anyone an idea what I am doing wrong?

EDIT: Seemed that something went wrong when I copied the NeoGeo Folger from the SD card to the HDD, after I put them on the HDD again everything works now.