Neo Geo CD

Awestyn

Neo Geo CD

Unread post by Awestyn »

Just expressing interest in a NG CD core..
spacejockey

Re: Neo Geo CD

Unread post by spacejockey »

you will be the Fisrt
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

... and last, lol :)
Too much work for a single exclusive game.

But who knows.. may be it will happen in the future.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

amerika

Unread post by amerika »

Sorgelig wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:39 pm ... and last, lol :)

I'm not saying this adds much weight for the core to be developed, but for the sake of accuracy there are two exclusive games (Samurai Spirits RPG and Crossed Swords 2) and a bunch of exclusive variation on games that include new content or music. Crossed Swords 2 was ported later to work on AES/MVS, however. All or most games that were exclusive or had exclusive content were ported to the TO NeoSD Pro (AES and MVS). I'm not sure if those particular ports could be made to run within the Neo Geo Mister core but it might be worth looking into as it would satisfy the desire to get at least the exclusive content on Mister.
Threepwood

Unread post by Threepwood »

Awestyn wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:07 pm Just expressing interest in a NG CD core..
I second this for the sake of completition and CD-Quality music, but it is obviously not a priority feature at all. It just would be nice if one day...
Chris23235 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:04 pm Without any further comment ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUW2fJoo8O8
I recently watched that and now want to experience it for real ;)
Recoil

Unread post by Recoil »

Hey, I have a neo geo cd and I love it. The games had a little extra Vs the cart like AOF 3 had a story mode, Metal Slugs had training school which was pretty fun and many more games had some little extra in it. It would be great for to be on the mister.
Lancelot

Unread post by Lancelot »

Threepwood wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:38 pm
Awestyn wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:07 pm Just expressing interest in a NG CD core..
I second this for the sake of completition and CD-Quality music, but it is obviously not a priority feature at all. It just would be nice if one day...
Chris23235 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:04 pm Without any further comment ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUW2fJoo8O8
I recently watched that and now want to experience it for real ;)
+1

I like the arranged CD tracks and bonus features many games have. It’s not all about the one or two exclusives.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

CD versions have very limited space for graphics. 1MB IIRC. While carts used up to 96MB. So many CD versions had crippled in-game graphics.
NeoGeo is about huge ROMs with massive graphics. CD kills it all.
Threepwood

Sorgelig wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:31 pm CD versions have very limited space for graphics. 1MB IIRC. While carts used up to 96MB. So many CD versions had crippled in-game graphics.
Well, if you only look at the graphics that may be true in some instances (Metal Slug 1+2, AoF3, Last Blade 2, Samurai Shodown IV etc.) but these grapical cuts don't affect gameplay and often do not stand out. The argument omits that audio quality was much better, sometimtes there was extra content and more options. See here https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/neogeocd/ ... faqs/51773

Don't get me wrong, I will play MVS/AES 99% of the time, but NeoGeo CD is a historical console that is interesting to use for comparing game versions and to do playtests with. MiSTer is a great tool to teach about gaming history, after all. NeoGeo CD games are more affordable, too, if you need legal ROMs for teaching, streaming etc. purposes.

I would implement it if I had the skill, but I don't and thus I am only asking to not dismiss this entirely. It is not a priority or a "please do this asap", but rather a request to acknowledge that if somebody has the time and wants to this, it has a legitimate place on MiSTer and is worth the effort.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Would definitely be great to see this added to Mister, hopefully someone picks it up. Someone mentioned in the discord it was mostly done, but not finished, what all would need to be done to get a working Neo Geo CD core?
Malloc

Unread post by Malloc »

I would love NeoGeo CD support just as a chance to try out some of the "alternative" versions of the games, I also think the CD system would allow folks without the ram add-on to possibly play the CD versions of a few of the games.

I believe there are 4 exclusive CD games overall; if you count the 'CD Special' and the King of Fighters Collection.
ARCADEAGES

Unread post by ARCADEAGES »

amerika wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:12 pm
Sorgelig wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:39 pm ... and last, lol :)

I'm not saying this adds much weight for the core to be developed, but for the sake of accuracy there are two exclusive games (Samurai Spirits RPG and Crossed Swords 2) and a bunch of exclusive variation on games that include new content or music. Crossed Swords 2 was ported later to work on AES/MVS, however. All or most games that were exclusive or had exclusive content were ported to the TO NeoSD Pro (AES and MVS). I'm not sure if those particular ports could be made to run within the Neo Geo Mister core but it might be worth looking into as it would satisfy the desire to get at least the exclusive content on Mister.
Crossed Swords 2 was ported to AES/MVS, but the CD soundtrack had to be cut. This port simply used the audio from Crossed Swords 1 in place of the CD content from Crossed Swords 2.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

The CD music on Last Resort was amazing.

There were lots of extras like CG galleries that you didn't get on carts too.
Mr^O^BIG

Unread post by Mr^O^BIG »

I had it, I want to kill the monkey, I played it a lot, I would love to play it on mister if the loading are faster, but it's not an emergency

Mr BIG
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

I too would love to see CD support added to the Neo Geo core both for completeness and the great CD audio. Graphics are only half of the tech story when it comes to gaming. Furrtek has the technology already
MottZilla

Unread post by MottZilla »

Sorgelig wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:31 pm CD versions have very limited space for graphics. 1MB IIRC. While carts used up to 96MB. So many CD versions had crippled in-game graphics.
It had 4MB of RAM for Graphics. It's enough for earlier titles before the Cartridge ROM sizes were huge. But even later titles it's a decent experience. The frequent and long loading times are what really hurt it. Something that can be alleviated. http://furrtek.free.fr/sdloader/
pippuz

Unread post by pippuz »

+1 for supporting the Neo Geo CD on mister :)
I should like really a lot.
kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

Hopefully one day we will get a Neo Geo CD core so I don't have to sit and wait for my CDZ to load.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

CDZ? Fancy! I just bought a top loader, looking forward to some 2 player Metal Slug CD.
MottZilla

Unread post by MottZilla »

If you have a top loader you should look into furrtek's SD Loader. It allows for the fastest possible loading times as it's only limited by the speed of the NeoGeo CD's RAM. It would definitely give you the best experience you could get out of the NeoGeo CD.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Oh wow, I didn't realise that was even a thing! Thanks for the heads up!
retrorepair

Moondandy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:59 am CDZ? Fancy! I just bought a top loader, looking forward to some 2 player Metal Slug CD.
A few years ago they were quite affordable. Everything old is expensive now unless you're very lucky.

It's quite sad really.
mathieulh

Unread post by mathieulh »

I feel like Samurai Spirits RPG alone and the interests in preservation make this endeavor worthwhile.
mcj

Unread post by mcj »

Having a NeoGeo CD core would simply be bliss! I do hope that some brave soul steps up to the plate to knock it out for the MiSTer!

With the recent new development of the libretro neocd core, there is now a lot more research done looking into the accuracy of NeoGeo CD hardware, specifically the CD controller.

And while many in this thread mention long load times, this video illustrates what it could look like in the core as well with a CD Load Skipping hack, also found in the neocd core. The best part of that video is really that it is demonstrated using one of the absolute worst offenders of the load screen.

All of that said, it really would be quite an endeavor and assuredly not an easy one. I do hope to play some Neo Turf Masters CD on the MiSTer someday!
Discord: mcj#2197 | Twitter: @mcjxmcj
Awestyn

Unread post by Awestyn »

I have a CDZ as well and the games are great but the loading times are just frustrating.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

I love my CDZ, and it has a permanent display under my TV, but to be honest I haven't used it much in the past year.
If anybody does a core for it, please please find a way to accelerate load times :D
Mr^O^BIG

Unread post by Mr^O^BIG »

I spoke with furrtek and I got an idea, instead of doing the ngcd core that it's not really interesting because of the poor graphics, we can implants the ngcd sounds on the aes/mvs rom, it's big works of referencing but it's possible

Mr BIG
retrorepair

Surely it would be simpler to actually implement Neo CD?

The basic framework is actually already in the core.
Threepwood

Mr^O^BIG wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:54 am I spoke with furrtek and I got an idea, instead of doing the ngcd core that it's not really interesting because of the poor graphics, we can implants the ngcd sounds on the aes/mvs rom, it's big works of referencing but it's possible

Mr BIG
By far not all games have received cuts in the graphics and some Neo Geo CD games have extra content and scenes. It is not about the audio only.

It is a creative idea but, because of this and historical accuracy, it is not a good idea. They were two different consoles after all.