Left/Right issues in Neo Geo

Mysterio

Left/Right issues in Neo Geo

Unread post by Mysterio »

Hi. I just got a MiSTer, ran the update all script and have been setting everything up. I'm using one of the Retro-Bit Sega Saturn USB controllers, and it works fine in every core I've tried, except there is some odd behavior in the Neo Geo core. Everything seems to be working correctly except for left and right. I tried a few different games... in one of the Art of Fighting games I could jump, crouch and use all the attack buttons but the character wouldn't move left or right at all. I then tried one of the Metal Slug games and found that on the character select screen both left and right on the D-pad would move the select box to the left. On starting the game if I tried to move left or right the character just rapidly switched which way he was facing.

I tried remapping the controls like 5 times and I promise left is mapped to left and right is mapped to right. I have no issues on any other cores. I just downloaded a couple of the older revisions of the core and will try those out after work, but if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks!
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Left/Right issues in Neo Geo

Unread post by Newsdee »

Make sure to remap both on the menu core and the neogeo core. Also just in case, don't map any alternate inputs.
I would also try a different controller to rule out a core problem.
Mysterio

Thanks for the reply! I have mapped the joypad on the menu core and haven't mapped alternate inputs. I tried another game, Samurai Shodown 5, and the behavior is still odd but slightly different. On that one the joypad works correctly on the character select screen. But once in game left and right are dead. Curious.

I did try with another controller, the earlier retro-bit "Saturn style but not officially licensed". It's physically identical but must be slightly different under the hood because the buttons are configured differently. That one seems to work fine. I've ordered the blutooth model of their Saturn controller which I expect will be my go-to gamepad so hopefully it will connect without issues and function as expected.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

I haven't tried any Retro-bit gamepads but I've had issues using some models of 8BitDo controllers in D-Input mode. They worked fine when I switched them to X-Input mode. Maybe it's something related to that, if you controller supports a different "config" then try switching it.
Mysterio

I actually hadn't checked for replies for a while so I just saw your response, but I'd independently discovered the same thing. I started using a Retro-bit 2.4GHz Saturn pad and in it's default D-input mode it worked on all the other cores I tried but on the NeoGeo core left and right wouldn't work. Switched to X-Input mode and it worked correctly. Looking into the documentation for their wired Saturn controller I found you could switch it to X-input by holding the start button for 5 seconds. I gave that a try and it fixed the issue with that controller too. Appreciate the help! I wonder if it resets to D-input every time you unplug it... haven't tested that yet.