Neo Geo Pocket

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Neo Geo Pocket

Unread post by Moondandy »

Has anyone looked into doing a core for the Neo Geo Pocket (Colour)? I know when Kevtris was talking about the Analogue Pocket he mentioned the Neo Geo Pocket was easy to do, while the Wonderswan would be difficult.

I am not sure if there was much difference in hardware between the original monochrome NGP and the colour version, but the Colour is backwards compatible with the few games that came out for the original NGP.

Some great games on the Neo Geo Pocket Colour, be great to see it on Mister one day.
kikaso

Re: Neo Geo Pocket

Unread post by kikaso »

+1

I'd love a Neo Geo Pocket core on the MiSTer.

It's a small library but packed with some great games. SamSho and Gals' Fighters on the Switch are nice but we need more!
chuckgrody

Unread post by chuckgrody »

+1 <3 the NGPC.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

1 is less than 3, sure ;)
kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

I just pulled my NGPC out to update the firmware on my cart and played a couple of games. Kinda hard to see on the small screen with my old age.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I have a NGP B/W and was planning on getting a color version one day. The clicky thumb stick is amazing and it has some really enjoyable games.
VickiViperZabel

Unread post by VickiViperZabel »

I feel like a lot of the appeal for the fighting games is the multiplayer which was apparently a big issue emulating from what I've heard

I hope something could get figured out for that
Ganondork

Unread post by Ganondork »

+1 for NGPC core. I don‘t care for 2p-functionality too much.
Malloc

Unread post by Malloc »

The NGP is an amazing little system, and due to licencing the chances of seeing an official re-release of Card Fighters Clash is, well, zero.

I would love to write a core for it, but I couldn't even find enough information to make a cycle-accurate software emulator the last time I looked into it so it would just be a shoddy software emulator ported to FPGA for the sake of it. Does anybody know if any more detailed information on the TLCS900H Toshiba chip has ever been released? (i.e. scans).
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

It might be worth reaching out to Kevtris, he has done/is doing a core for the Pocket. He won't share his work but he may share documentation, I understand he has done that in the past.
Le_Gil

Unread post by Le_Gil »

The core I am really waiting for right now ! Being able to use an arcade stick to play SVC MOTM would be awesome IMO.
I don't know if it would be possible to play versus mode on the very same MisTer but it would be amazing ^^
Rocky2040

Unread post by Rocky2040 »

It would be a cool core to have, its a really cool handheld that people often forget about
jrronimo

Unread post by jrronimo »

I would also love an NGPC core! It would give more people a chance to play Faselei! :D

If I even know how to begin or had any ability whatsoever, I'd work on it, heh.
thelatestmodel

Unread post by thelatestmodel »

Same. I had a very respectable NGPC collection back in the day, it's a fantastic little system and I still play Card Fighters Clash all the time on my phone. If I had an ounce of ability or knowhow I would get involved.
jumpbeatshoot

Unread post by jumpbeatshoot »

Analogue promises their Pocket will run Neo Geo Pocket and Atari Lynx eventually (they announced pre-orders today, but no date for cartridge adapters of these portables).

Is that relevant for the Mister at all? If it's in the horizon for Analogue, can we expect Neo Geo Pocket and Atari Lynx cores for Mister?
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

Nope. Analogue's fpga cores are closed-source, so they can't be ported over to the MiSTer.
mrtomato

Unread post by mrtomato »

I am wondering if some one are working for Mister portable kit or case... Analogue is bit overpriced and also importing to EU isn't cheap, also heard that international transaction fee could be also charged since they use Chinese bank... little strange that they claim that they US company...
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Honestly, a MiSTer portable would be physically huge and rather pointless, not to mention issues with heat dissipation. There's about zero chance of any homebrew project like MiSTer (running mostly off-the-shelf hardware) being a useful portable device.
mrtomato

Unread post by mrtomato »

rhester72 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:51 pm Honestly, a MiSTer portable would be physically huge and rather pointless, not to mention issues with heat dissipation. There's about zero chance of any homebrew project like MiSTer (running mostly off-the-shelf hardware) being a useful portable device.
I prefer horizontal systems... There are lots of porable systems like GameCube, Wii etc... But Analogue product are very expensive with lots of limitations... Also almost 30$ for each adapter for Analogue Pocket is expensive.
b4r7

Unread post by b4r7 »

i was thinking about making a portable mister which would include trim down a mister... and remove or rewire some of the connections... but yeah a mister costs 160€ here in germany...
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Think it's more likely to make a MiSTer laptop than a MiSTer handheld.
If that's any consideration.

Maybe a really fat Tablet.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
twocuddlefish

Unread post by twocuddlefish »

rhester72 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:51 pm Honestly, a MiSTer portable would be physically huge and rather pointless, not to mention issues with heat dissipation. There's about zero chance of any homebrew project like MiSTer (running mostly off-the-shelf hardware) being a useful portable device.
This is a Clockwork Gameshell shell (had the models), for reference its about the size of a DS lite closed. It needs to be wider because I like asymmetrical designs and went with 2x 18650s hanging off the side. If you're playing handheld cores the draw is around 0.9amps (with a 128 SDRAM) so with 2x 18650 of a good capacity you'd be in the 5-6ish hours of gameplay. You could depopulate the board save some space and possible some mAh. But ethernet its the new Gameboy link cable!
Back iso.png
Back iso.png (187.83 KiB) Viewed 14811 times

There nice options for button layouts using the off the shelf Gameboy Zero parts. Shown is the Gameshell layout flipped because the layout feels too low to me and its already a USB HID and can be reprogrammed (if I wanted to mock up one)
Front-shell ON.png
Front-shell ON.png (137.85 KiB) Viewed 14811 times

MiSTer is roughly in the middle of the shell and there is room for the screen, buttons, PCBs and speakers.
Front-shell OFF.png
Front-shell OFF.png (95.58 KiB) Viewed 14811 times

A while ago I found the screen the Analogue Pocket is using (fun fact, it's the same used in the Valve Index VR headsets!) It's $65 which I think is reasonable for the pixel density and size, but the HDMI converters are huge for these. It would eat the batteries too, but might be worth it...
https://www.smart-prototyping.com/Displ ... 600-pixels
https://www.panelook.com/VS035ZSM-NW0-6 ... 37926.html

Although if I built one it would be horizontal layout with the heatsink facing forward and a custom IO board with the SDRAM, buttons, and other IO built in. Anyone out there know KiCAD and how the MiSTer addons work...? I can do the design and prototyping
Le_Gil

Unread post by Le_Gil »

Still looking for some project about this core and nothing yet. Good games though on this little piece of art, not just low cost versions of the AES one, most of the conversions came with a completly new solo mode.

Maybe in the future, fingers crossed
deltax0

Unread post by deltax0 »

If anything i bet FPGAzumSpass will do it. seems handhelds seem to be his thing.
He is currently working on the lynx thou. EDIT---- Wonderswan. but he did do the atari lynx.
We can only wait and see.
If anything you can play neogeo and color are in higan. for the mean time. Most accurate emulator out there. Has a bunch of cores. Needs lots of cpu power also.
ThetaX55
MiSTer
4tb external hard drive, blister and io.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

He is currently working on the WonderSwan.
Le_Gil

Unread post by Le_Gil »

dshadoff wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:31 pm He is currently working on the WonderSwan.
Maybe NGPC is the next one, fingers crossed. I am really looking forward to testing Guilty Gear Mini with my arcade stick though 8-)
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

Le_Gil wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:01 am
dshadoff wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:31 pm He is currently working on the WonderSwan.
Maybe NGPC is the next one, fingers crossed. I am really looking forward to testing Guilty Gear Mini with my arcade stick though 8-)
I think he'g going to try to tackle either Jaguar or Virtual Boy after the WonderSwan. It could be a while before we see New Geo Pocket unless another developer is working on it hasn't announced it to anyone.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

I'm personally really hoping for Jaguar. It'd be great just to have a perfect Jaguar simulation and also get Jaguar CD because there is currently no Jaguar CD emulator out there.

The way I look at it is that it's simply a process of elimination. Once a core is finished then that means that it's more likely that your favorite core will be next. Once the Saturn, WonderSwan and PS1 cores are done, then that's 3 FPGA devs that could tackle the Neo Geo Pocket as their next core. That's not also including Kitrinx or any other devs I'm forgetting to mention now. It'll get done eventually :)

Look at the bright side. At least you're better off than weirdos like me who want a 3DO and CD-i core lol
retro

Unread post by retro »

dmckean wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:46 pm I think he'g going to try to tackle either Jaguar or Virtual Boy after the WonderSwan. It could be a while before we see New Geo Pocket unless another developer is working on it hasn't announced it to anyone.
I'm curious to see how Virtual Boy would work.

If a Virtual Boy core does happen, I would love to see it include 3D TV support :)
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

retro wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:23 am
dmckean wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:46 pm I think he'g going to try to tackle either Jaguar or Virtual Boy after the WonderSwan. It could be a while before we see New Geo Pocket unless another developer is working on it hasn't announced it to anyone.
I'm curious to see how Virtual Boy would work.

If a Virtual Boy core does happen, I would love to see it include 3D TV support :)
FPGAzumSpass's core would only be 2D as he has trouble seeing 3D. Someone else would need to add it later.