Metal Slug turn red blood on

Gyruss

Metal Slug turn red blood on

Unread post by Gyruss »

Newbie here..
Does somebody know how to turn on the red blood in the Neo Geo Metal Slug MiSTer please ? I looked in the Euro bios from this game and could find dipswitches but I was not able to turn the blood on.

Thank you in advance.
Gyruss

Re: Metal Slug turn red blood on

Unread post by Gyruss »

Find the solution on this forum and will test it out this evening :)
pbsk8

Re: Metal Slug turn blood on

Unread post by pbsk8 »

you have to press A+B+C during boot and then on unibios you turn on red blood
Gyruss

Unread post by Gyruss »

Thank you so much for your reply, but there is no option in the unibios to turn on the red blood,

I just read that you have to go in the Unibios, then to the Soft Reboot System and after that immediately press B-C-and D buttons together, then you should be able to set on the red blood.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

Yes it is definitively there as I use it all the times with games. Follow these steps:

1. Press Start + A + B + C
2. Select with A the option Soft Reboot System and then hold B + C + D
3. Select with A the option Setting Up The Soft Dip
4. Select with A the option Slot 1 Metal Slug
5. Select Blood On
6. Enjoy all the blood :D

EDIT:
It works only with Arcade mode not Console, so you have to make sure you select the Arcade mode!
Dacaskos

Unread post by Dacaskos »

Running under japan Bios it has blood by default afaik.

In fact, some features in some games like Mai's "boing boing" physics are only available while playing on the japanese version, so if you can select that, it's better anyway.

Jap Samsho 2 doesn't show the Special moves inputs though :/
TLPD-AVW

Unread post by TLPD-AVW »

You can also use UniBIOS's in-game menu (Start+Select) to enable various cheats, some of which can let you circumvent regional changes without changing the region to Japan. For example, I know that KOF 2002 has cheats to enable both blood and advanced physics in overseas regions. The only issue is that unlike soft DIPs, as far as I know, UniBIOS does not save cheats, so you have to re-enable them after reset.
Gyruss

Unread post by Gyruss »

Alkadian wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:49 pm Yes it is definitively there as I use it all the times with games. Follow these steps:

5. Select Blood On

EDIT:
It works only with Arcade mode not Console, so you have to make sure you select the Arcade mode!
Thank you!
I could turn on the red blood and also saved it in the OSD menu but as soon as I turn off my MiSTer the red blood is gone :o what ever I do it does not save..
I set it on Europe and Arcade
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Gyruss wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:10 pm
Alkadian wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:49 pm Yes it is definitively there as I use it all the times with games. Follow these steps:

5. Select Blood On

EDIT:
Thank you!
I could turn on the red blood and also saved it in the OSD menu but as soon as I turn off my MiSTer the red blood is gone :o what ever I do it does not save..
I set it on Europe and Arcade
Great, I am glad to hear you got it working at the end.
Yeah, i know. As far as I know unibios doesn't save these settings.

However, what you could do to speed it up is to enable DIP Settings from the OSD menu so that when you start Metal Slug, for istance, you will be presented directly with the Soft Reboot System settings and then you will quickly enable the blood again.
Gyruss

Unread post by Gyruss »

Ah that is too bad that you can not save this.... really hope that some members of the team could work on this sooner or later:) and maybe make it more easier to acces the dipswitch settings as well.
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

I turned the blood on months ago and it saved. I've never had to go into the bios and turn it on again. There must be some option to save it
Gyruss

Unread post by Gyruss »

Aspie wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:29 pm I turned the blood on months ago and it saved. I've never had to go into the bios and turn it on again. There must be some option to save it

That is strange then.. I can not save it no matter what I do... are you sure you did not turn on the Japanese version which has the red blood already standard in ?
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

No I went into the bios and turned it on myself. I did it for each Metal Slug game and they all saved.
Gyruss

Unread post by Gyruss »

Did you do this the Neo Geo Arcade, MVS or AES versions ?
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

I always play it as MVS version
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Guys, good news! I think I have sorted it out! I can happily confirm that by using Unibios 3.3 the blood option is saved permanently and there is no need to enable it every time. However, this doesn't happen with Unibios 4.0.
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

I'm using Unibios 4.0 and it still saves for me.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Aspie wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:24 pm I'm using Unibios 4.0 and it still saves for me.
Interesting, I have tried again starting from scratch but still no luck! For me it only works with 3.3. Go and figure :lol:
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Weird things are happening here. I have an X-Arcade Dual stick. I just started up Metal Slug but it would only load up coins for player 2 and then the controls for player 1 wouldn't work and I could only use player 2. I did a reboot and I think it's gone back to normal now.

Another weird thing in Neo Turfmaster. I have never been able to select a 2 player game. The 2 player option is always greyed out.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Aspie wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:57 pm Weird things are happening here. I have an X-Arcade Dual stick. I just started up Metal Slug but it would only load up coins for player 2 and then the controls for player 1 wouldn't work and I could only use player 2. I did a reboot and I think it's gone back to normal now.

Another weird thing in Neo Turfmaster. I have never been able to select a 2 player game. The 2 player option is always greyed out.
The X-Arcade Dual stick had some issues on the MiSTer awhile ago, and I'm not sure if they were resolved yet. Here's some links I found real quick that might help in your search for info.

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=448

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=894

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=1832

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=1017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtHRM05nIJc
birdybro~
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

X-Arcade controllers always had issues, and with a number of consoles.
So I do not think it's a MiSTer issue.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
BabaYaga326

Unread post by BabaYaga326 »

Here’s what works for my on IPAC4:

1) Load the mslug ROM, then hit F12. Ensure SystemType: Arcade(MVS) and BIOS: UniBIOS
2) Also, ensure you’ve configured your preferred controls via ‘Define NEOGEO buttons’ in the System menu.
3) Do a soft reset/reboot of the ROM (I use my ‘User’ button on my I/O Board).
4) As soon as you see the NEO-GEO ‘The Universe NIOS v4.0 splash screen, press and hold A+B+C, this takes you to the ‘NEO*GEO Universe NIOS 4.0 by Razoola’ menu. From here, select the ‘Region Setup’ with the A button. Follow onscreen instructions to select your region (USA) and the mode (Arcade). Hit the C button to exit.
5) Now, do a second soft reset/reboot of the ROM (I use my ‘User’ button on my I/O Board). As soon as you see the ‘NEO-GEO The Universe BIOS v4.0’ splash screen, press and hold B+C+D buttons until you see the UNI-BIOS v4.0 options screen. Select the ‘Setting Up The Soft Dip’ option and hit A. Select ‘SLOT1 Metal Slug’ and hit A. Select the Blood option and turn on by hitting A. Just hit the C button twice to get back to the UNI-BIOS v4.0 options screen, select EXIT and hit A. You’re done!

NOTE: If you want your settings saved so you don’t have to do this every time you launch this ROM, hit F12 to bring up the NEOGEO settings and ensure ‘Autosave’ is set to ON.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

Is there a way for the Neogeo core to save a specific BIOS for a specific game?
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Enable the memory card in the OSD
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

Jegriva wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:39 pm Is there a way for the Neogeo core to save a specific BIOS for a specific game?
Do you mean the specific region or do you mean a BIOS other than the UniBIOS? Unless there's a specific issue with the UniBIOS that doesn't happen with the originals, you can set what region you want in the UniBIOS startup settings and then save the settings to the memory card.

With my Neo Geo cabinet, I have a dual coin slot so I've got most of the games set to USA so that each slot works for the corresponding player. The main exception is for Puzzle Bobble 1 and 2. I absolutely dislike the US Bust A Move title screens; little to no personality from the game. I left those two to Europe so that all the wonderful charm of the original title screens show up. And again, just changed the settings as I wanted in the UniBIOS (region, dip switches, etc) and then saved it in the core menu to the memory card. Those games remain in Europe while the rest are in USA. No other changes needed.

If you do mean an actual different BIOS, then that I'm not sure works. I haven't seen any need to use the originals, especially since the UniBIOS lets you freely change between MVS and AES without affecting any other games. In fact, it's recommended to keep the core on one mode and change it in the UniBIOS so your save data remains consistent. I set mine to MVS since it handles both saving to the arcade board and also the memory card. Any games I play in AES mode, I change that in the UniBIOS instead.