NeoGeo and USB Issues [Solved]

pedroTFP

NeoGeo and USB Issues [Solved]

Unread post by pedroTFP »

My Mister works perfectly with NG roms (Darksoft set) loaded from SD, but if I put them on external USB (USB 3.0 NTFS 2TB Toshiba Canvio Basics HDTB420EK3AA via external USB 2.0 powered hub) I can see "games\Neogeo" on the USB, but if I click a game folder nothing happens (looks like the folder is empty).
If I navigate back to SD and launch a game the rom is loaded but graphics is garbled (look like video is missing a "layer", like no sprites, garbled backgrounds and such).
If I power off Mister and remove the USB drive, everything goes back working fine from SD.
I have a 128mb memory module and memtest is ok @140.
I ran "update" and "update_all" scripts with no benefit.

Other cores works fine both from USB (i.e. MegaCD) and SD (i.e. Arcades).

Any hint? Is NTFS the problem?
jca
Top Contributor

Re: NeoGeo and USB issues

Unread post by jca »

Ditch NTFS and switch to exFAT. NTFS is case sensitive and causes a lot of problems, don't ask how I know. For example for NeoGeo the name of the folder should be NEOGEO but the update script creates it as NeoGeo. At one point I had NEOGEO and NeoGeo directories with NEOGEO containing the roms and NeoGeo empty. I looked at the drive under Windows which sees the 2 directories but when I open NeoGeo it had all the roms and backing up one directory the highlighted directory was NEOGEO.
When using a USB drive do not use ext4 or NTFS but stick to exFat, it will save you a lot of headaches.
pedroTFP

Thanks, I'll try and report.
pedroTFP

Ok,
I formatted in exFAT, and put:
-a game (bin+cue uncompressed folder) in TGFX16-CD folder; source: Redump
-a game in uncompressed folder into NeoGeo folder; source: Darksoft
-the same game as above in single *.neo file format into NeoGeo folder; source: everdrive Mister Pack

Result:
-selecting the game folder it looks like it is loading then get a "bios not found" error
-looks like the folder is empty
-games load but graphics is garbled

If a move the folders\rom onto SD, changing nothing, everything works like a charm.

Ideas? I'm clueless. ^_^'
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

I ran into a similar problem with a CIFS share

I found that I had to have the exact same setup on the share as I had on the SD card. Ie the Xml files and the bios files on the share and in the same relative directories or nothing loaded. As soon as I had the same set up on the share it worked. This may help you on your USB issue.
pedroTFP

That worked, thanks a lot!