Neo Geo Core No Sound

mawk

Neo Geo Core No Sound

Unread post by mawk »

Hey everyone,

I've been working on getting my MiSTer setup configured over the past week or so, and for the most part everything's working quite well! The one exception to that is the Neo Geo core. For some reason, I'm unable to get any sound out of it (for any game, using darksoft rom pack). Aside from that, the games run just fine... no audio is the only issue.

Strangely enough, up until recently I was able to get some audio from the Neo Geo using a fix I'd found in another thread. It was focusing on the Gameboy, but it essentially seemed to indicate that you needed to send an audio wakeup signal in order to get the HDMI audio data recognized by the monitor: viewtopic.php?t=55

- As others had mentioned in the above thread, it was necessary to tweak the code a bit to get it to run successfully, but I'd done so and it seemed to help.

I was more or less content with that fix, but then the other day I ran the update_all.sh script, and it looked like there were a couple of Neo Geo files that were updated, and now that workaround is no longer solving the problem for me: no audio, regardless of whether I run the elgato_fixer.sh script or not.

It keeps getting stranger, because when I go to the MiSTer Neo Geo github page, the only change that I see is an update to the neogeo.sv file, which is intended to fix the incorrect expansion of colors, which I wouldn't have thought would have any impact on audio, but I'm not about to rule it out. The problem is, I'm not really sure how to even test reverting this to a prior version to verify if that change was indeed the problem: not sure where neogeo.sv is located on the MiSTer.

Some other setup details: I'm using HDMI out primarily, but in my attempt to debug this, I used the optical port of the digital IO board to see if I was able to get any audio from there, and I'm still not hearing anything. I tested this on other cores, and I am able to get audio from the optical out, regardless of HDMI being plugged in or not, but no dice when running Neo Geo. I'm kind of at a loss here. Thinking I may just try to configure the MiSTer with a fresh SD card and see if that refresh helps at this point.

Let me know if there's any additional info I can provide that would help with the debug.
BobHat

Re: Neo Geo Core No Sound

Unread post by BobHat »

Hi mawk

We’re you able to sort this out?

I’m having the same problem where all the other cores works fine (with sound) except for neogeo. Everything looks fine in terms of bios, folders, etc but when I load a neogeo game, it works but there’s no sound.

If anyone can help, it’d be very appreciated. As I said it’s only neogeo! Everything else works great!

Thanks in advance