Puzzle Bobble (maybe more)

Blitzwing

Puzzle Bobble (maybe more)

Unread post by Blitzwing »

On my MiSTer I use a USB SSD to store everything and the system switches to it at boot time. I found trying to load Puzzle Bobble (pbobblen) that it will hang during initial loading and will hang the MiSTer requiring a full reset, it will work perfectly fine if I load it from the SD card. Puzzle bobble 2 and a handful of other games I tested work fine.

Has anybody else had this issue and come across a solution?

Many thanks.

Edit. It does seem to only crash/stop the FPGA side, the ARM stays running. htop shows the MiSTer process running until it loads the rom then it stops.
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Puzzle Bobble (maybe more)

Unread post by jca »

Blitzwing wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:23 am On my MiSTer I use a USB SSD to store everything and the system switches to it at boot time.
What do you mean by that?
How is your system set up, what do you have on the SD card and on the USB drive.
Here I also have everything (almost) on the USB drive and have no problem.
A few days ago I was running with "Switch to USB" but now I use symlinks as I had a problem with Vertical Crop.
Blitzwing

Unread post by Blitzwing »

Same as you really in 'switch to USB' I couldn't remember what it was called so that's why I wrote it like that 😂, the SD card just has all the stuff required to boot and all the games and 'emulator' binaries live on the USB drive.

I did think of using Symlinks to keep the Neogeo games on the SD card but it seemed a little crazy for the one game that isn't working. I might go back through some older versions of the MiSTer main and the neogeo first to see of it is a weird regression and if that doesn't solve it I'll symlink them.

Thanks for the reply.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

No, you don't have to move back anything (almost) to the SD card.
Read this carefully viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2835
Some important things:
On the SD card you have a config directory which contains only device.bin, on the USB drive you have also a config directory which contains your configs but not device.bin. Copy everything from the config on the USB drive to the config on the SD card and delete the config on the USB drive.
I recommend having the Scripts on the SD card, not on the USB drive.
For the update scripts make sure that your update.ini does not contain the line BASEPATH=/media/usb0 (or something similar), delete this line. On my MISTer it was the only line I had so I deleted update.ini. For the update all script you are using the USB version, delete update_all.sh and update_all.ini and download the regular update all script.
Make sure you "Switch to SD card".
If you use minimig have a look at viewtopic.php?p=28719#p28719.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Gone with the wind ¯\_(ツ)_/¯