Metal Slug X - Music Incorrect

MottZilla

Metal Slug X - Music Incorrect

Unread post by MottZilla »

Is it a known issue that the music in Mission 2-3 (sound code 0x23) seems to be missing samples or instruments playing, particularly at the beginning of the track? I imagine whatever causes this affects other titles too but I definitely noticed it with MSX since I have played my MVS cartridge of it for a long time. When I decided to give MSX a go on the MiSTer it stood out.

This is the music track for reference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssYinJXF9hA
mario64

Re: Metal Slug X - Music Incorrect

Unread post by mario64 »

MottZilla wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:42 am Is it a known issue that the music in Mission 2-3 (sound code 0x23) seems to be missing samples or instruments playing, particularly at the beginning of the track? I imagine whatever causes this affects other titles too but I definitely noticed it with MSX since I have played my MVS cartridge of it for a long time. When I decided to give MSX a go on the MiSTer it stood out.

This is the music track for reference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssYinJXF9hA
You can check and raise an issue here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_MiSTer/issues
Doesn't look to me it's a known problem.
ccovell

Unread post by ccovell »

Hopefully I can add to this discussion. I've long noticed missing sample channels in the MiSTer core, as well as what seems like off-key notes (imagine a vibrato that goes up/down once per second). This has been most noticeable in ADK games like Magician Lord and Blue's Journey.

Nobody else seems to have mentioned it, but perhaps more can pipe up. [EDIT: that GitHub error page actually has several posts mentioning these same problems.] Yeah, something seems wrong with off-key channels, missing channels, or weirdly-triggering samples.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

Also PSG issues, notes don't seem as sustained as they should be (neo geo jingle on older games etc). The recent JT49 update sadly doesn't fix it.
CaptainWolf

Unread post by CaptainWolf »

I noticed this as well, I can confirm that the issue also happens in Metal Slug 2, 2 Turbo and Metal Slug 3 (Mission 4).

Hopefully it's something easy to fix, other than that the games run beautifully.
ccovell

Unread post by ccovell »

I sent a message about this to Furrtek, who said I should contact Jotego, since he made the sound core part of the Neo-Geo core. Jotego will look into it, but he wants .VGM files from the songs that exhibit bugs in order to diagnose the errors.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

Yeah he tweeted a little while ago to raise the issue on mister github and to tag him. Definitely makes more sense than discussing here.
MottZilla

The latest fixes which are in an unofficial build dated 20200617 have fixed the issue with this music track in the Metal Slug 2, X, and 3 games. The missing sounds are now present as they should be.
Lancelot

Unread post by Lancelot »

MottZilla

Correct. I thought it was a good idea to note this issue was solved.