music sounds out of tune

Appley81

music sounds out of tune

Unread post by Appley81 »

the music and sound sort of sounds out of tune to an extent is this normal.. im using a modified core with the AES clock due to my monitor not syncing with the MVS clock. is there any solutions out there
LoneWolf

Re: music sounds out of tune

Unread post by LoneWolf »

I’m getting this too and can verify that it’s not normal to NeoGeo hardware. It doesn’t seem to be a common problem so I’m wondering if it’s specific to a certain setup. The recent official core update doesn’t fix it for me either (I have no monitor issues though). Will do some further testing in the next couple of days by changing my bios files etc to rule those out and report back.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

What music in particular?

I've not found any issues and have been doing some extensive testing for Jotego recently so I would have noticed.

I would suggest that using a modified core (especially regarding timings) would not be supported here.
LoneWolf

I’ve noticed it with all Neo Geo games. I’m running the standard core though not like the OP. All other cores are fine and I have the 128mb RAM. I think it must be to do with the files that I have as it’s noticeable so I’m sure more people would have reported the issue. It’s like the pitch of the music is lower than it should be for me. I noticed that someone on the NeoGeo github has had the same issue so I think it’s something setup specific to blame.
retrorepair

I'd trying making sure you have the most recent build and default settings, then see how it sounds, add in your settings one at a time then when it sounds off, there's your problem.

If it's all the wrong pitch, I'd say the clock is off so a sync setting is probably to blame.
LoneWolf

I’ve got the latest official build of the Neo core and my main is the latest too. I’ve just tried with a different unibios to the 4.0 that I had previously and the problem is still there. All settings are standard (MVS, NTSC, Unibios etc). Changing the video sync setting in the ini file to 0 from 2 doesn’t help either. As an example, in NAM-75 the music from 7 secs (into the actual gameplay) to say 22 secs you can hear that the music is at a lower pitch on certain sounds. I’m comparing this to my actual NTSC AES hardware and also a youtube video of the games soundtrack. Can you check this game on your setup? Are there possibly other sync settings that I’m missing that I can adjust?
LoneWolf

I’m starting to think this is actually a minor sound issue with the core. Having checked a number of recent YT videos this evening I can hear the same sound problems on other people’s setups too. Another example is Blazing Star - I can hear minor issues that are more noticeable on stage 2 where some notes are slightly off key. The majority of the music/sounds in game appear fine so it may just be one of the channels that needs correcting. It would also explain why other games don’t sound quite right in places too.
retrorepair

If you think it is a core issue, go to VGMRips and download the VGM file for the game music with the problem and then raise an issue on Jotego's github here:

https://github.com/jotego/jt12/issues

Make sure you give as much information as possible.
rsn8887

Unread post by rsn8887 »

I also noticed that wrong pitch and even shifting pitch in Blazing Star music. It is definitely there and noticable. It sounds like the music slows down and speeds up changing pitch ever so slightly.

Using latest core, unibios 4 and hdmi video/audio