Samurai Shodown V Perfect on MiSTer

kikaso

Samurai Shodown V Perfect on MiSTer

Unread post by kikaso »

Not sure if anyone on this forum has tried this yet but it seems like the ROM of Samurai Shodown V Perfect has been extracted and is playable on the MiSter NeoGeo core. Pezz82 tweeted about it.

I'm using the DarkSoft romset but MiSTer isn't reading able to load this ROM. Anyone know how to get this to work on MiSTer?
SegaMan

Re: Samurai Shodown V Perfect on MiSTer

Unread post by SegaMan »

I am using the DarkSoft romset and the game works fine (128MB SDRAM Board).
kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

Use the samsh5fe.zip and add the line below to your romset.xml
<romset name="samsh5fe" pcm="1" altname="Samurai Shodown V Perfect" publisher="SNK" year="2004" ram="2"/>
kikaso

Unread post by kikaso »

kubbie wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:41 pm Use the samsh5fe.zip and add the line below to your romset.xml
<romset name="samsh5fe" pcm="1" altname="Samurai Shodown V Perfect" publisher="SNK" year="2004" ram="2"/>
That did it! Thanks!
Gymcrash

Unread post by Gymcrash »

Are we sure the ROM linked by pezz is the samshoVPerfect ROM that's been released as part of the Sam sho collection? Because the 2004 beta test rom for samshoVFinal has been around for a while, and I'm suspicious that someone has had to ROM hack it to say PERFECT. Shouldn't the actual ROM require no hacks?

I have the samsho collection on the Epic store, and I've extracted what I believe are parts of the actual ROM, but I'm not sure how to package it up into a .neo file (not that I've looked).

When I do, I'll update this forum on if it's possible unless someone beats me to it.
kikaso

Unread post by kikaso »

Gymcrash wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:10 pm Are we sure the ROM linked by pezz is the samshoVPerfect ROM that's been released as part of the Sam sho collection?
Now that you mention it, this may just be a hacked ROM to replace the 'Special' with 'Perfect' wherever it appears; at least according to this video linked in the Twitter thread. I don't know enough about Special vs Perfect to tell the difference. I attached a photo from the 'Perfect' ROM I got via Pezz82's Twitter post that I couldn't find in 'Special'. It appears just before your first match. Pardon the off-screen photo.
Attachments
E05ED269-5DDB-45B9-89F5-B1356EB35ED3.JPG
E05ED269-5DDB-45B9-89F5-B1356EB35ED3.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 8265 times
Gymcrash

Unread post by Gymcrash »

OK, so I've done some research, and this rom linked by Pezz, is probably the "correct" rom - and you're fine to use it for now.

The longer explanation is that the roms on the Neo Geo Collection for Samurai Shodown V PERFECT, aren't there. They are the Samurai Spirits Zero FINAL roms (i.e. the japanese version from the 2004 location test) and there there is an 'on the fly', in-memory english translation applied to the Zero FINAL rom when it's running in memory.

In other words, there is no official Samurai Shodown V PERFECT rom. Some enterprising folk on the neo geo forums and other places have romhacked the Samurai Spirits ZERO (SPECIAL/FINAL) romset with the translations and the english title screen to create what we have now.

Which means, I'm sure, in the future, we'll get more 'complete' versions of this rom when issues/bugs are discovered.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

probably best to not go to that forum at all
Phaedrus

Unread post by Phaedrus »

Milspex wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 pm probably best to not go to that forum at all
Yeah wow. I read through that whole thread and wish I hadn't, but I wanted to understand what the trap was. Posting a file that will basically brick your expensive NeoSD is pretty aggressive and childish.

At any rate at least now we know where the rom came from and how they are getting the translation in the neo geo collection.

I have yet to compare the rom from pez to the neo geo collection itself. I thought the epic games store release was actually really well done and being that it was free how can you go wrong really.
kikaso

Unread post by kikaso »

Milspex wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 pm probably best to not go to that forum at all
I haven't been on in years. It's awful there.
Gymcrash wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:05 pm OK, so I've done some research, and this rom linked by Pezz, is probably the "correct" rom - and you're fine to use it for now.
Thanks for this background!
antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

I see the neo-geo.com forums are still as toxic as they were many years ago when I first got into MVS cart collecting...
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Downloaded and works perfecty.

The only thing weird about it is - the announcer calls it Samurai Shodown 5 Special instead of Perfect - does he do that on the Xbox 1/PS4 version?
Dreams don't die!