Audio Distortion [Solved]

kikaso

Audio Distortion [Solved]

Unread post by kikaso »

Hello, all

Really excited MiSTer has its own forums!

I’ve been having an issue with my MiSTer’s sound. Specifically, super loud audio for a fraction of a second when starting a ROM in the NEOGEO core. This also happens on the MegCD core so I don’t think it’s unique to NEOGEO core but I figured I’d start here first.

For the NEOGEO, the loud audio only happens during the very beginning, (the opening jingle). On the MegaCD, it’s only at the start of the BIOS screen and again during the Sonic rings jingle. I haven’t had this issue on other cores.

I’ve tried both 96khz and 48khz HDMI audio settings in the INI file.
keith.f.kelly

Re: Audio Distortion

Unread post by keith.f.kelly »

I’ve never had this issue with either of those cores.

Is it possible your audio playback device has a dynamics/“loudness” compressor enabled? Those work by quickly detecting loud sounds and “smashing” them quieter, but there can be a slightly noticeable delay before it kicks in. That would certainly match your symptoms.
kikaso

Unread post by kikaso »

keith.f.kelly wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:15 pm I’ve never had this issue with either of those cores.

Is it possible your audio playback device has a dynamics/“loudness” compressor enabled? Those work by quickly detecting loud sounds and “smashing” them quieter, but there can be a slightly noticeable delay before it kicks in. That would certainly match your symptoms.
Damn, you’re a genius and I’m such an idiot. It was the “TruVolume” setting on my soundbar causing it.

Thanks for your help!
suverman

Unread post by suverman »

Please can you mark the title as solved if you manage to solve it? :)
keith.f.kelly

Unread post by keith.f.kelly »

kikaso wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:46 pm Damn, you’re a genius and I’m such an idiot. It was the “TruVolume” setting on my soundbar causing it.

Thanks for your help!
Happy to help — it’s nice when the fix is easy 😊