Additional cropping mode needed? (296 or 294px)

M.Walrus

Additional cropping mode needed? (296 or 294px)

Unread post by M.Walrus »

It's very rare, but in some cases, the existing core options do not crop accurately to what is displayed on a CRT, creating glitchy looking graphics.

I found an example of this at the end of Riding Hero, as seen here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/699066871

I toggle between the 320 and 304 pixel mode in that short clip, and neither of them get the image where it needs to be in this case. There is always junk hanging off the sides of the screen. On CRT, you cant see any of this outer area, and the image looks clean.

I did not count how many pixels need to be cropped further for instances like this, but it seems to be about 8 or 10.
bilippe

Re: Additional cropping mode needed? (296 or 294px)

Unread post by bilippe »

I have the same problem on a CRT TV for NeoGeo core
i have opened an issue on github :
"I would like to make a request on github regarding the neogeo core.
I am in contact with many guys who play on mister with NeoGeo core and we all have the same problem, problem that some of us manage to correct via the menu service of our trinitron tv the neogeo has a slightly bastard display ... in 304 or 320 and the display is so too stretched on the Hsize ... I manage to correct this via the service menu or some who have a PVM do it via the knobs but it's tedious...
We want to know if it is possible to create an option in the menu to create this Hsize function (different from the hposition of jotego and mr-x present in their cores for example) which would prevent all players on CRT from tearing their hair out of their hearts neogeo?
Thanks in advance for those pla on CRT TV with MiSTer ! "

I think really a Hsize option will be the best option to manage the very particular display of the Neogeo developers
Pepeart

Unread post by Pepeart »

Same here. I tought it was a problem with my settings or my pvm. Im hoping a new update can adjust the Hsize. Thank you
M.Walrus

Unread post by M.Walrus »

I was specifically referring to HDMI output with my original post. CRT has no issues for me, but i would like hdmi to have the option to cut off overscan at the appropriate amounts to make games not have janky edge graphics at times. It is very rare, but there are times when the 304px option is not enough to clean up some scenes in games, like in the video in my original post.
Pepeart

Unread post by Pepeart »

M.Wlarus. Would it be possible for you to load a picture of neo geo Double Dragon running on your crt? Thank you
Ps. I want to see if you are having the same issue
Ifury512

Unread post by Ifury512 »

I will have to agree with pepeart and bilippe, no matter if I have it on 320 or 304px the picture is more to the right when it comes to Hsize, but I do know this is a known issue on the core and I am hoping they fix it. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_ ... issues/100. I use consumer CRT TV Sony 24FV300 and Toshiba 20AF45. I am trying to make a home arcade and that is one of the only reason I haven't, since the Hsize is all mess up. But the community is awesome so hopefully they will get to fix this issue.